Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocky Mountain Oyster Run

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,659 Likes on 3,365 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
Maryland to the Rocky Mtns? Holy. The rockies are too far for me and I'm starting in Ohio. How about a barbeque tour of the midwest/upper south?
We can contemplate that one for next spring.

Originally Posted by teacoff
Sneaky feeling a certain song from a certain 1976 ACDC album will be the theme song......
Done!

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_W-fIn2QZgg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Originally Posted by mjm3457
I'll definitely plan to join you, and I will be happy to discuss some routes and help with planning. I have a couple of routes in mind already. Also, I can contact the local Jaguar clubs and see what they have to offer as suggestions; I'm sure some of them might want to join as well. (Or was this intended to be an East Coast contingent with me globbed on?) OK this is just brainstorming for now, but are you thinking to center it on Denver, or are other places under consideration? Trail Ridge Road would be great, but it is the most popular National Park in CO. DJS is right on when he suggested that we'd be following a line of campers and motor homes going about 25 mph. One thing is for sure, plan for dates after August 15 when Colorado schools go back to classes. Also, weekdays is when I fish to avoid crowds and same will be true for the roads. September after Labor Day would be optimum for traffic issues, and weather is stable through end of the month, usually. I'm still on the road in SD; won't be home until late Saturday.
Matt, As with the Lobster Run, this would be a continent wide invitation for F-Types, but welcoming all Jaguars. Consumption of R.M. oysters optional. Focus on a circuit through the CO Rockies (not any one location). I'll get with you offline to come up with some optional dates for folks to vote on.

Last edited by Unhingd; 05-22-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

I'm sure someone with Photoshop skills can turn this into some type of Jaguar, Rocky Mountain Oyster image...

Also, I'd recommend a night in Breckenridge if you want to check out craft beer... yum....

Old 05-22-2016, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TXJagR

Also, I'd recommend a night in Breckenridge if you want to check out craft beer... yum....
On the table for consideration so far:
The Fort Restaurant
Wynkoop
New Belgium (Fat Tire)
Breckinridge
Best Western Movie Manor.
Run up North Turkey Creek Canyon
TNT Country Kitchen, Red Rocks (Morrison)
Pikes Peak
Top of the Rockies Route.
Black Canyon of the Gunnison.
Estes Park
Garden of the Gods
The Brown Palace
Guanella Pass

Other suggestions?

Old 05-22-2016, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,597 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
I'm sure someone with Photoshop skills can turn this into some type of Jaguar, Rocky Mountain Oyster image...

Eh, Mat...I WAS JUST JOKING! (Hope you boys are enjoying the shirts and things are OK. Please stay in touch). I hereby remove myself from this thread going forth.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:22 AM
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by paddyh

And I would skip the oysters except for a food challenge. Farm to table and local eats are the way to go in this neck of the woods.
Farm fresh to table is OK for fruits and veggies.....but the whole context changes for Rocky Mountain Oysters!?!?!

Desert Hiker

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Desert Hiker
Farm fresh to table is OK for fruits and veggies.....but the whole context changes for Rocky Mountain Oysters!?!?!

Desert Hiker
lol

Old 05-23-2016, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
lol
It's always better not to know how the sausage is made....so to speak

Unhingd (05-23-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 06:00 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
On the table for consideration so far:
The Fort Restaurant
Wynkoop
Other suggestions?
I would add 'The Buckhorn Exchange' in Denver for RMO, and 'Guard and Grace' for steak.

Also suggest cotacting the Rocky Mountain Jaguar Club http://rockymountainjaguarclub.org/

For a local Denver drive, the drive up to the top of Mt. Evans (where else can you drive to 14,000 ft) is a fun local drive. Then head on the Peak to Peak Highway up to Estes Park, and follow that with Trail Ridge Road.

For more drives - you have to do Glenwood Canyon down into Glenwood Springs. From here you can head to Aspen, and back to Denver down Independence Pass.

Or you can go on to Grand Junction - I would then add the road from Grand Junction down to Gateway for a stop at the Gateway Auto Museum.
Classic Cars at The Gateway Colorado Auto Museum

From there I would head across to Moab, UT (the back way - through Uravan and Naturita) for a stay at the Red Cliff Lodge or the Sorrel River Ranch). While there - you will want to ride US 128 along the Colorado River multiple times.

But this might be getting a bit out of the Colorado-ness of the run. Unfortunately I cannot join but will think of all of you as I autobahn around Germany

Unhingd (05-24-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 09:10 PM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Rocky Mountain Runners possible stop, Leadville, CO.

The Edward King house, famous Leadville architect.

At Horace and Baby Doe's Matchless Mine. Yes it exists, and you can tour it with me.

Annunciation Church, where the unsinkable Molly Brown was married, has the highest steeple in the US. Remember the elevation of town is already at 10,200 ft MSL.

If you Rocky Mountain Runners want to stop in Leadville, CO, I can promise you an expert tour of the city: its history, people, architecture, and the mining district. We drove up there today just to get out of the house and stretch the legs of our cat. Photos from today. This and much more awaits you in Leadville, CO.

Unhingd (06-18-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 09:52 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd love to join if I'm back from Dubai. How about The million Dollar Highway between Silverton and Ouray? I've driven that a few times, alway for work mind you, and it would be a blast in the new car.

Old 06-19-2016, 04:57 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,393 Posts

And if you're in Leadville, why not run up Mt. Elbert, the 2nd highest peak in the continental US? I did it many years ago - the views are simply stunning, as is the lack of oxygen at 14,400+ ft.

Unhingd (06-19-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member

Since little interest was expressed in this activity, not much in the way of formal planning has occurred.However, it will occur nonetheless (Consumption of Rocky Mountain oysters will not be forced). So far, the fleet consists of one E-Type and one F-Type.

The event will begin on the afternoon of Saturday, August 13 on a farm near Keenesburg, Co where my friend with the E-Type is organizing a BBQ and small folk concert that evening. We will be there until the wee hours of the following morning to watch the Meteor showers. On the 14th we then depart for a couple days to travel some of the routes previously mentioned in this thread. This will not be the organized 5 star experience that Jay put together so gloriously (nobody could follow that act), but rather an adventure of scenery and 1-2 star flea bitten motels and greasy dives, including the Little Bear in Evergreen (leave your colors outside).

If you can make a couple days available around that time, pm me for the details. We can meet up with you at any convenient location (in Colorado).