F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saying goodbye

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 05:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Patrooper,

Good luck with your C7, its a good choice, and was almost my choice. I cancelled an order for that car, and subsequently had two very different experiences with Jaguar dealers in my area. I agree with DGL -- Try not to let one dealer influence you! One of the two Jag dealers I dealt with was much more arrogant than the other.

Here's what took me from C7 to F Type - the opposite direction you are headed...and apologies for the length. But maybe a few observations in here that will help confirm (or deny) your decision.

First, I was impressed with the Corvette after driving it and reading about the tech. The C7 is a hugely different car than every corvette before it. This was the first time I considered it. They finally eliminated the dated wrap around rear window and made a proper looking backend. It's a gorgeous backend. The performance is great. I was impressed that GM invented magnetic ride control and is licensing it to Ferarri on the 458. Not impressed with the lame torque converter transmission in the C7, but the rev matching manual works well, most of the time. So I ordered the manual, though I really wanted a fast paddle shifter that rev matched. The transverse leaf springs are a great engineering solution, but can be a limiter if you want to lower the car properly, because essentially you can't change the spring rate. Overall, its a great looking car, great value, but ultimately, I was looking for something less common...and maybe a little less aggressive shape. The vette is damn low to get up out of.

After researching the F Type coupe, the technology and performance are impressive. The eLSD is the secret ingredient in the C7's track performance, and the Jag has it. Plus torque vector braking, dynamic damping, a fully programmable dynamic mode, +100hp, more torque, a paddle shifting 8 speed automatic that is close to dual clutch speed, and dynamic exhaust that makes the vette sound tame. I consider the R tech/performance ahead of the vette by a good margin. And to my eye the Jag styling is exactly the distinctive, but not too loud, look that I wanted.

Now, the C7 spec'd the way I wanted was about $65K, vs. the F Type R at $100K. But the Jag can be bought for 5% off, so call it a $30K difference. Given the different production volumes (30,000 vettes vs. ~5,000 F Types), some of this difference is mfg. efficiency related. Some of it is the higher cost of parts on the Jag and VAT. And some of it might be called a Jag tax. But take a look at the Porsche and Audi alternatives, and the Jag is $40K cheaper at the same performance levels. So maybe the Jag is a poor mans Porsche?

Both F Type and C7 cars are V8's, and more than a few people are looking at both carefully. But an estimated 5 month wait for a Corvette with the Z51 package is sort of absurd. Currently, the vette has three different supplier problems, restricting everything from the carbon roof panels, competition seats and Z51 suspension parts.

So, I went to the Detroit auto show in January to make up my mind before cancelling the C7 order and placing the F Type order. I sat in the C7 competition seats (which I had ordered sight unseen because they couldn't get them), and realized I flat out didn't fit in them. I'm 6'2, 185lbs, about 44 chest, and the vette competition seat upper bolsters are so narrow that I couldn't fully sit back in the seat. About an inch of space from my back to the seat back. So minimally, the seats had to be changed.

Then I sat in the F Type performance seats, and got my first look at the coupe from all angles. The seats fit me great, and the car, aesthetically, was flat out stunning. Where the C7 is captivating (and loud) for all of its sharp angles and aggressive batmobile hood, the F Type is captivating for being elegant, cleaner lines, intriguing to look at, and in my opinion, more originally styled. A bit of E Type and Aston in the DNA to my eye. And ultimately, my wife is a big Jag fan - so less friction all around.

In the end, I liked the vette, but loved the F Type. Loved the more refined styling, the fast paddle shifting automatic (though not a dual clutch), and the more elegant and simplified cockpit. Loved the exhaust note.

Having decided on the car, the dealer was next. I happened to find a great dealer in Woodbridge CT, and between the discount he agreed to and the expected Jag club rebate, I am expecting a few $k below MSRP. I'll have the final price in April when the car comes in, and the dealer sees the rebate deal sheet. The sales manager there is Rob Nathman -- a very nice guy, super helpful. He sent us out in a convertible with the V8 for an hour to test drive. Very knowledgeable about the brand when going through the options, and he introduced me to the service manager. Incidentally, I asked if any of the F Type customers had complained about the fuel filler door not locking - no one had. He was unaware that it didn't lock.

I also checked in with another Jag dealer in New York. The salesman was a 25 year Jag sales vet, who straight up told me there was no dealing on the price. He was only getting a couple cars, and was confident he could sell them at MSRP. Pretty arrogant, left us alone in the car for about 20 minutes. Compared himself favorably to other dealers charging over MSRP. I took a quick look at his service department in a run down warehouse on the edge of town, and the hour long traffic jam to get there, and ruled them out. I'm glad I have a dealer nearby, but even if I didn't, I would have started dialing to find the deal. One thought I had was to buy it in the south or west and drive it home.

Again, good luck on your C7, and check back in to update the forum when it arrives...I'm sure you will have a lot of fun in that car.

Last edited by FTypeR; 02-24-2014 at 02:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FTypeR:
DGL (02-23-2014), swajames (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 05:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alexplank
I understand why you purchased the Corvette. A Jaguar owner would use the word "their" in the right place instead of "there." Enjoy your new car though.
There's a certain irony to this comment. I spent about 3 months pouring over the C7 forums before cancelling my vette order, and this type of comment is much more common there. The bitter war of words over the new square tail lights on the C7 is just one of many similar put downs.

alexplank's comment is, fortunately, the exception to the rule here on the Jag forum.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:42 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by FTypeR
I also checked in with another Jag dealer in New York. The salesman was a 25 year Jag sales vet, who straight up told me there was no dealing on the price. He was only getting a couple cars, and was confident he could sell them at MSRP. Pretty arrogant, left us alone in the car for about 20 minutes. Compared himself favorably to other dealers charging over MSRP. I took a quick look at his service department in a run down warehouse on the edge of town, and the hour long traffic jam to get there, and ruled them out. I'm glad I have a dealer nearby, but even if I didn't, I would have started dialing to find the deal. One thought I had was to buy it in the south or west and drive it home.
I know the exact dealer you are referring too and can admit it gave me a negative impression of the brand. Its worse than you think. Beyond the corner gasoline station type waiting room, they wouldn't give me a loaner and gave me a ride to the train station in their "courtesy vehicle" - a mid-2000's Volvo station wagon that was literally the filthiest car I have ever seen. I was actually repulsed to sit in it. Fortunately, another dealer has opened nearby.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by FTypeR
There's a certain irony to this comment. I spent about 3 months pouring over the C7 forums before cancelling my vette order, and this type of comment is much more common there. The bitter war of words over the new square tail lights on the C7 is just one of many similar put downs.
I have to agree after having spent 14 years over at the Corvette Forum. Every time a new gen Corvette was rumored and then finally introduced, there would be a bunch of sour grapes, especially from owners of the previous generation. I bought my C4 just when C5 rumors started happening and noticed the criticisms of the C5 even before it officially came out. Same thing from the C5 guys when the C6 was introduced. But the griping over the C7 really took the cake. Threads with 100s of posts getting quite nasty about the new tail lights. The salt in the wound for C6 owners was how unanimously the automotive magazines and "experts" were raving about how the C7 took the car to a whole new level.

I think the same type of nonsense goes on in other car forums as well when the new generation replaces the previous one. Mostly due to the fact that most folks who are car forum members are really into this kind of stuff.

Doug

Old 02-24-2014, 03:34 AM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I apologize. My comment was uncalled for and in poor taste.

The following users liked this post:
patrooper (02-27-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 07:27 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Great explanation!

The following users liked this post:
New2Jag (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 07:01 AM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
Thanks for sharing your experience. Every dealer is privately owned. I've had a similar experience with my BMW dealer. They were so arrogant, thought so highly of themselves and put themselves above the customer I was totally blown away. I mean literally blown away. Thank god they did too because I bought a Jaguar and never looked back. My local Jaguar dealership has top notch people working the service department which I'm thankful for. On the other hand management in sales is just ok nothing exceptional. Consequently, I buy my Jaguars else where. Don't use your bad experience against the brand. As a buyer you are ultimately empowered and can take your business else where. You could have used your local dealer to help you select the Jaguar you wanted. After deciding on the Jaguar of choice you can take your business any where to get the best deal if your not happy with their service. I would never forfeit on a car I wanted just because my local dealer doesn't know how to earn customers. I only went to BMW to test drive a car, not to buy one. I'm sad to hear you've let one dealership experience decide your fate.

On the other hand, I'm sure you will enjoy your C7 corvette. The C7 corvette is a good bargain, although it's not a Jaguar. I personally hope you come back to the forum often to read about our experiences on this forum and share your experiences with your new C7 purchase. Maybe some day we'll see you back with a real car (just kidding). The C7 Z06 is getting a lot of attention not only on this forum but every forum I've been to. Enjoy your Corvette and write a letter to Jaguar Customer Relations. No one should leave any business establishment feeling let down.

I'd like to share my experience I had at the McLaren, Masserati, Ferrari dealership in Calabasas, California. I dropped in twice last year. On each occasion they made me feel like I was the most important person to them. The sales team introduced themselves and made themselves available for any questions without being arrogant. I actually had a hard time leaving and felt bad that I never purchased a car from them. If I were seriously looking at a McLaren C12 I would give them first opportunity to sell me one. On the other hand if they never treated me properly I would just buy the McLaren C12 from someone else. I would not let them solely influence what car I'm going to purchase.
Thanks to everyone on this forum for being so nice and polite.I seem to get the itch about every 3 or 4 yrs. so who knows u just might see me in an xk if there still making them.(thats what I initially went to the dealership to drive) I certainly will hang around this forum and I will give my impressions for the C7. I should have it by the end of April. As for the F i still love that car but the distance to the dealership was one problem that made me hesitant.
You know I never turned down any deal from the 2 jag dealers just left it open, and I have not heard a peep from either one since. Thats about a month and 1/2. Business must be good.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:24 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on your new car.

The way I bought my V8S was via autotrader app (even truecar.com or edmunds should do the job) and searched all V8S within 200 miles radius. Narrowed it down to price range and options, sent emails via app and all of them contacted me aggresively (multiple calls/emails). Most of them were professional (few were goofy) and one of them (someone in PA) offered $1500 off MSRP without even negotiating over email. Also, typically verts sell for a discount in winters.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:37 AM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default saying goodbye

Originally Posted by alexplank
I apologize. My comment was uncalled for and in poor taste.
No need for an apology. My grammar probably needs a little tutoring.