Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a F-Type

Hello
First time poster but have been lurking for a few months.
Getting close to buying a 2014 F-type and wanted to see if I'm getting a good deal. I'm in Los Angeles.
After a few back and forth negotiations dealer is offering 36 Month lease at 800 a month plus tax, no money down and includes first months payment so I make the remaining 35. This is for the Base model, 71,500 MSRP before negotiations.
Also, I have seen a few posts where members refer to the 1K incentive/rebate for the "Jaguar Club", what is this and how do you join and how do you show proof to the dealer?

Thank you,

LAFtype

Old 02-25-2014, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,915 Likes on 7,646 Posts
Old 02-25-2014, 09:57 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

If you are looking at leasing you might want to try Penfed.org and use their payment saver loan. Lease type payments but zero restrictions and you still own the car. Just plugging in $71,000 as purchase price their payments are also $800 a month for 36 months at 1.24% APR. Final balloon payment is $45k.

Pros:
It is your car. Sell, trade, buy or refinance after the 36 months.
It could be worth more than $45k at the end.
You can do anything to it, mods etc.
No mileage limits.
You can get out of the car anytime just by selling it and paying off the remainder of loan.

Cons:
You still pay the full tax on the car up front as if purchasing.
Car value could be lower than $45k after 36 months.

You can also purchase the vehicle (get a solid negotiated quote) through there as well which are based on Truecar, the site Jayt2 mentioned.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:12 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

How much discount is the dealer offering you on MSRP?

Old 02-26-2014, 10:31 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Your better off going WITH the dealer on the lease. You DON'T want to own the car after, that would go against the idea of leasing. You can always sell the car during the lease or even trade it in and keep the equity. At the end you can turn in, trade or buy it out.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by billydjenn
Your better off going WITH the dealer on the lease. You DON'T want to own the car after, that would go against the idea of leasing. You can always sell the car during the lease or even trade it in and keep the equity. At the end you can turn in, trade or buy it out.
The 2012 XJL is the first car (probably the last) that I've ever leased. Since I am unhappy with the ride of the car, I have been trying to get out of the lease after half of the 3 year term. Not having good luck with it.

The listed trade-in value of the car, according to two different websites (Kelly and Autotrader) is around $52K. The car is pristine with 14K miles. I usually get the trade-in values for my cars. This time, however, no one seems to be particularly interested in taking my car back, out of the lease. Two dealers and CARMAX quoted me $47K for taking the car, which is way below the listed trade-in values. CARMAX listed a car for sale, as of yesterday, identical to mine with 16K miles for 59K, non-negotiable. Not sure what is in play with a leased vs. purchased car trade-in but, something does not add up. $12K difference between trade-in and selling price is unusually far too wide.

Guess, I will have to keep the car, unless I want to give them $5K cash just to get me out of the lease.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:33 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

If you're looking to exit a lease early the key number is the payoff amount which is available from the leasing company (and usually online on their website). I buy most of my cars but I've leased a few cars (I am a business owner and can deduct the lease payments) and gotten out of number of them early. Key issue is whether your payoff is more or less than the numbers you are able to sell the car for (trade in, sale to dealer or private sale). In some cases the car was worth more (sometimes a fair but more) than the payoff, others have been about the payoff amount. You can also look at leastrader or swapalease but personally I'd rather get out of it via the more traditional means. I can remember only one time where I've actually held a lease to maturity and returned the car. I think I've exited pretty much all the others early and I've never really taken it in the shorts to do so. Jaguar doesn't seem to play the BMW game of artificially inflating residuals to reduce monthly payments. In those cases it can be harder to exit early as the leases are written on a somewhat fabricated view of the depreciation curve. BMWs can be great cars to lease as a consequence.

Do you know the lease payoff on the XJ?

Last edited by swajames; 02-26-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:46 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

You're getting out of an XJ because you don't like the ride? You will dislike the F Type ride ten times worse. I had the XJ, have the F Type and it's night and day. And if you really want to know what your car is worth, have someone pull recent auction prices (or look on eBay to get an idea) that is what a dealer will typically give you. KBB is a farce that is never indicative of what a car is worth.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:18 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by New2Jag
You're getting out of an XJ because you don't like the ride? You will dislike the F Type ride ten times worse. I had the XJ, have the F Type and it's night and day. And if you really want to know what your car is worth, have someone pull recent auction prices (or look on eBay to get an idea) that is what a dealer will typically give you. KBB is a farce that is never indicative of what a car is worth.
Yes, I can attest to that. I took Ftype last weekend to NYC and I felt every imperfection on road while XJ was comfy. The most comfy was GL450 but handling sucked.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by New2Jag
Not only that I don't like the ride of the XJL, I despise it. Not sure if all XJs ride like mine but, at the least, a good number do as I collected plenty of pro-tester and owner's comments regarding that slight vibration in the whole car that you can feel through the steering wheel, the floor pan and the seat. No car should ever vibrate on perfectly smooth road surfaces. My XJL does. A dealer's loaner Hyundai Sonata rode so much better that I almost cried :-).

I test drove the base and the V8S F-type. I did not care for the ride of the base over some bad city pavements, however, on the freeway it rode better than my XJL. The V8S with its electronic shocks rode FAR better than my XJL over the very same freeway sections. The XKR that I just got two days ago is again, stiffer in reacting to pavement ripples but, smoother on good pavement than the XJL. Jaguar really messed up with the XJ suspension. I have owned now 3 XKs, have an XF and no complaints, only the XJL is driving me literally up the wall with its fine, low level suspension vibrations.

For as long as I remember I was always able to get KBB suggested prices for my trade ins, independent if I purchased anything or not. What I suspect now is that they are low balling me because, perhaps, all those attempted repairs to the suspension at the dealer ruining the CARFAX history of the car, potentially scaring people away from it.

Last edited by axr6; 02-26-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by swajames
If you're looking to exit a lease early the key number is the payoff amount which is available from the leasing company (and usually online on their website). I buy most of my cars but I've leased a few cars (I am a business owner and can deduct the lease payments) and gotten out of number of them early. Key issue is whether your payoff is more or less than the numbers you are able to sell the car for (trade in, sale to dealer or private sale). In some cases the car was worth more (sometimes a fair but more) than the payoff, others have been about the payoff amount. You can also look at leastrader or swapalease but personally I'd rather get out of it via the more traditional means. I can remember only one time where I've actually held a lease to maturity and returned the car. I think I've exited pretty much all the others early and I've never really taken it in the shorts to do so. Jaguar doesn't seem to play the BMW game of artificially inflating residuals to reduce monthly payments. In those cases it can be harder to exit early as the leases are written on a somewhat fabricated view of the depreciation curve. BMWs can be great cars to lease as a consequence.

Do you know the lease payoff on the XJ?
My payoff is $51,800 as of today. The trade-in values on those websites that I looked at were just a few hundred dollars above my payoff. So, I expected something close to even, maybe slightly negative, for a buy-out. Yet, all 3 very recent estimates from 2 Jag dealers and from Carmax came in right at 47K. While we waited for the appraisal at Carmax, we looked up their inventory and found one near identical XJL in LA for the price of 59K. The salesman himself said that he would be terribly disappointed if the appraisal would come in at less than 52K.

Last edited by axr6; 02-27-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any ideas when the 2015 convertible F-Type will hit dealership lots?

Old 03-01-2014, 07:09 AM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Have you driven other XJL's and found the same vibration? If not, you should. The problem might not be the car design itself but a defect in your specific car and a reason to demand dealership remediation.