Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scratched side windows

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 01:37 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Scratched side windows

Hi Guys
had the dealer look at scratches on both windows as grit had got in between rubbers ( don't know how or where) Jaguar first said they couldn't do anything so asked dealer to talk to them again ,and now they are saying they are aware of a problem and are looking into it.
So will wait to hear back.
Burnie

Last edited by GGG; 07-26-2016 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Edit typo in thread title
Old 07-26-2016, 02:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

I have got a vertical scratch at the passenger window, and it's clearly some grit that has gotten in somewhere between the window and seal.

There is a bulletin JTB00502 "Vertical Scratches on door Windows"" which I found in the "Jaguar ownership support" (TOPIx):

Home | TOPIx

You need to register to get access.

Mine is going in next week to have seals on both sides replaced as well as the passenger window. At the same time I will also have the center vent fixed (which is SSM70358 "Centre vent sticking").

I had no problem having them accepted these fixes as part of the warranty.

The following 2 users liked this post by Arne:
burnie (07-26-2016), WJV (01-03-2019)
Old 07-26-2016, 07:29 AM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

i have this too on the driver's side. going to bring this up to the dealer next time im in for service

Old 07-26-2016, 08:41 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by Arne
At the same time I will also have the center vent fixed (which is SSM70358 "Centre vent sticking").

FYI, after my dealer fixed my center vent (without me asking), it works perfectly. Always goes up and down properly.

The following users liked this post:
Arne (07-28-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
FYI, after my dealer fixed my center vent (without me asking), it works perfectly. Always goes up and down properly.
Thanks DJS - good to know.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:40 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Centre vent stuck, replaced - check
Windows scratched, Windows and seals replaced - check
Exhaust (sticky valves), back box to be replaced

All warranty work so no cost to me, but I'm almost now waiting for the next Topix item to occur., though I love the car and at the moment have no plans to move on

Be interested in the real number of these problems occurring or whether just unlucky.

burnie (07-27-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 11:05 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi
just heard back from dealer and they are changing the seals and windows
wonder why they go down the denial route first ( well I know why) but why !!

burnie

Old 08-04-2016, 12:23 PM

Good news 😃
Make sure they fit the revised parts, for some reason Jaguar and the dealer spent a few days trying to decide which set they should be fitting

burnie (08-05-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fenton
Good news 😃
Make sure they fit the revised parts, for some reason Jaguar and the dealer spent a few days trying to decide which set they should be fitting
That's exactly what I and the dealer are trying to work out right now. The first revised parts they received was for the vert and did not fit my coupe. The problem now is to find the right parts/partnumber for the revised parts for the coupe, which I am sure will be sorted out in a few days.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:20 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey Arne or anyone else,

Any chance you could post the text of that TSB (JTB00502 "Vertical Scratches on door Windows")? I don't have access to TOPIx.

I'm particularly interested in the VIN range affected.

Thanks.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:32 PM

As requested

The following 4 users liked this post by Fenton:
burnie (08-05-2016), Frenchy (08-04-2016), Mbourne (08-04-2016), WJV (01-03-2019)
Old 11-25-2016, 03:42 PM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm literally days from going in to the dealership to have this issue addressed and I just noticed that the tint on my passenger side window got snagged at the seal - it is now coming off.

For those that had this issue, I have to assume that if they change the windows under this bulletin they'll have to put on the tint. But, if they don't have to change the windows, will they still put on new tint?

Old 11-25-2016, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

The tint is aftermarket. The dealer will feel no obligation to replace.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:18 PM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The tint is aftermarket. The dealer will feel no obligation to replace.
Looks like I was "lucky" -- the dealership ended up having to replace the windows and they considered the tint as "resulting damage" from the warranty issue so they are re-tinting both windows (at no charge to me).

Old 12-07-2016, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by bb_sam
Looks like I was "lucky" -- the dealership ended up having to replace the windows and they considered the tint as "resulting damage" from the warranty issue so they are re-tinting both windows (at no charge to me).
Excellent. Hold on to that dealer.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scratches on windows

Guys
I am the proud owner of an early F Type Convertable which is out of warrently. I noticed a few vertical scratches on the driver side.
I have cleaned the area between the seal and the glass by using a soapy wet credit card and managed to polish the scratches out using a very fine rubbing compound. All good and only 15 mins of effort. There was a fair amount of grit that was removed so definitely worth doing when washing or valeting your Jag.

Pete from Newcastle (01-02-2019)
Old 03-15-2018, 05:04 PM
Received 92 Likes on 39 Posts

Yup I have a deep scratch on the passenger side, and light scratches on the driver side. My annual service comes up next month so when I booked it in, I added that issue to the list of things to do with the TSB. I just hope they change the glass as well but knowing my dealer it will be a hassle getting the job done correctly.

Also have a tread plate that pops up and maybe a coolant leak (possible the reservoir cap as I goes from max to min every 1K miles)

Old 01-02-2019, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Horne
Guys
I am the proud owner of an early F Type Convertable which is out of warrently. I noticed a few vertical scratches on the driver side.
I have cleaned the area between the seal and the glass by using a soapy wet credit card and managed to polish the scratches out using a very fine rubbing compound. All good and only 15 mins of effort. There was a fair amount of grit that was removed so definitely worth doing when washing or valeting your Jag.
Hi Kevin, I have exactly the same issue as you had and its going in on Monday for my local dealer to look at. It is out of the Jaguar warranty and I'm worried my after market warranty is going to be useless for this. Out of interest what rubbing compound did you use and did it leave any other marks at all

cheers
Pete

Old 01-02-2019, 02:08 PM
Received 92 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by LedZepplin
Yup I have a deep scratch on the passenger side, and light scratches on the driver side. My annual service comes up next month so when I booked it in, I added that issue to the list of things to do with the TSB. I just hope they change the glass as well but knowing my dealer it will be a hassle getting the job done correctly.

Also have a tread plate that pops up and maybe a coolant leak (possible the reservoir cap as I goes from max to min every 1K miles)
Dealer did a great job changed both windows and the seals. Also they put a new tread-plate in.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete from Newcastle
Hi Kevin, I have exactly the same issue as you had and its going in on Monday for my local dealer to look at. It is out of the Jaguar warranty and I'm worried my after market warranty is going to be useless for this.
Hi Pete,

If the scratches can be felt with your fingernail then polishing won't remove them 100% but can make a big difference to blending them in as it will round off the corners that catch the light. If the scratches are superficial only they should be completely removed with polishing. Any suitable glass polishing compound and a machine polisher would do the job easily (it would likely be cheaper to take it to a body shop to have it done if you don't already have the tools/compound). Hand polishing would take longer but you should be able to achieve the same result. Note that the side windows (at least in the UK) have a water repellent coating that would need to be reapplied after polishing if you want to retain it. (Useful in heavy rain, but it does cause those vertical white lines when the glass mists up.)

If the dealer won't do the replacement under the warranty (which they probably won't) then at retail cost the seals are £64 and the glass is £130 per side so not excessively expensive and probably only twice the price of the polishing. You can easily replace yourself with just a few hardware store tools. You'd need to replace the seals to prevent the scratches coming back anyway, so for £130 per side you may just want to get new glass and keep the olds as spares (or sell them on as used).