F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Separate header tank for SC - Anyone done this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 03:07 AM
Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest1
Its just one pull back to back dyno, its a v6 not stock. I need to log it in the real world to confirm how it works
Look forward to your results, also log your spark advance, though unless you logged such parameters stock its hard to compare so we will just have to go from your butt dyno.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:08 AM
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest1
I got a custom intercooler from CR. It is not separated though.
How much? what are the specs on it?

I can tell you without a doubt, we need a bigger inter cooler or separated system on a V8 with both pulleys, catless down pipes, and a tune. When driving around town, the stock cooling system is fine. When trying to keep up with a modded C7Z on the highway or drag strip pulls, the coolant gets so hot my F-type studders and goes into limp mode.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:34 AM
Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by John Jones

I can tell you without a doubt, we need a bigger inter cooler or separated system on a V8 with both pulleys, catless down pipes, and a tune. When driving around town, the stock cooling system is fine. When trying to keep up with a modded C7Z on the highway or drag strip pulls, the coolant gets so hot my F-type studders and goes into limp mode.
mine also

Old 05-15-2018, 12:32 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by John Jones

@Suart@VelocityAP

Over to you my good man. Put down those large paddles! Some chaps need your skills

Old 05-15-2018, 01:54 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What is the best way to log intake temps and timings and knock? I bought a ELM obd thing and haven't gotten around to use it, need you guys to teach me.

Just so you guys know, the car is in China and I won't be able to log until I go there in a month or so.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:04 AM

Also been speaking with the guys who run the F-Type GT4 race cars and the SC is on its own dedicated cooling circuit with dedicated header tank.

As such I do believe I am 100% onto something here and I have asked them for more information or if they would be willing to offer a solution for road going cars (David Appleby Engineering).

In short I firmly believe a larger intercooler, dedicated cooling circuit for the SC would vastly improve the SC cooling and the engine would still rearch its targetted thermostat temperature without issue but at the same time the SC would be cooler and the IAT's would be lower resulting in less chance of ECU robbing power or going into cat protection and when these cars do that you talking as much as 80HP reduction, were all modding our cars here but facts are in hot situations our cars don't make stock figures.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:50 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

cool, can you ask them if the GT4s have more agressive tcu tuning for the zf4? Would really like that option

Old 05-16-2018, 11:54 AM
Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

While the coolant is shared, the electric pump works in such a way that it ONLY uses the same coolant for the intercooler without mixing it with the block nor the main radiator. You can verify this by inserting a joint with a probe at the iltel port for the intercooler (either banks) on top of the upper intake manifold shell... However, if you modify the air intake baffles (below the main grille) you will see a temp drop of 10-15 degrees at 95mph

Old 05-16-2018, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by FType17
While the coolant is shared, the electric pump works in such a way that it ONLY uses the same coolant for the intercooler without mixing it with the block nor the main radiator. You can verify this by inserting a joint with a probe at the iltel port for the intercooler (either banks) on top of the upper intake manifold shell... However, if you modify the air intake baffles (below the main grille) you will see a temp drop of 10-15 degrees at 95mph
I've already modified the air intake snorkels by extending them right to the front grill opening to catch more cold air.

But surely as the SC and engine share the same reservoir then the engine has heated up all the coolant in the system and as such the SC will always be running hotter than it could be. Unless when the car is on it no longer accesses the coolant in the reservoir and just keeps running its loop?

These cars in sustained use or in drag racing heat soak badly and pull power, its evident in the GT4 they recognise this issue and separated the SC and engine cooling to give better cooling?

Last edited by Gibbo205; 05-16-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:04 PM

I suggest you test the coolant supply line temperature (the inlet is the one towards the car cabin). Don't forget that the intercooler flow is managed by an electric pump. The modification needed is the upper deflector on the auxiliary cooler. I am unsure of what you are talking about with a "snorkel".

Old 05-16-2018, 12:08 PM

Usually I would agree that having fully separated flows would be ideal but considering the fact that the impact is minor and of course it was designed to keep the maintenance to a minimum (single fill point) for the average owner. The gain is minor and not worth the money. A racing team has a budget and techs with plenty of time to spare while seeking every possible gain no matter how small.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:30 PM

I suggest you test the coolant supply line temperature (the inlet is the one towards the car cabin). Don't forget that the intercooler flow is managed by an electric pump. The modification needed is the upper deflector on the auxiliary cooler. I am unsure of what you are talking about with a "snorkel".
By snorkel I mean the two air intake tubes in the front of the car behind the grill, I assumed this is what you were also talking about when you modified to lower IAT as well?

If you talking about something different can you give some more details please.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
Also been speaking with the guys who run the F-Type GT4 race cars and the SC is on its own dedicated cooling circuit with dedicated header tank.

As such I do believe I am 100% onto something here and I have asked them for more information or if they would be willing to offer a solution for road going cars (David Appleby Engineering).

In short I firmly believe a larger intercooler, dedicated cooling circuit for the SC would vastly improve the SC cooling and the engine would still rearch its targetted thermostat temperature without issue but at the same time the SC would be cooler and the IAT's would be lower resulting in less chance of ECU robbing power or going into cat protection and when these cars do that you talking as much as 80HP reduction, were all modding our cars here but facts are in hot situations our cars don't make stock figures.
Gibbo, you know the invictus British GT guys? That's sick! I just found out about them being in The British GT last week. Glad to see the racing info/tech already starting to hit the streets for the F-type, maybe JLR will step up and do some factory cars with the success of the Invictus team.

Back on topic, I was under the impression our tvs1900 was at the cooling capacity they are capable of internally, making additional or aftermarket intercoolers almost pointless? But that's all internet rederic I don't know enough about the math to confirm...?

Old 05-16-2018, 01:44 PM

By snorkel I mean the two air intake tubes in the front of the car behind the grill, I assumed this is what you were also talking about when you modified to lower IAT as well?

If you talking about something different can you give some more details please.
If you look at the air intake below the main one, look into it carefully. On the upper side you will see a diverter made of black plastic, this leaves a rather small area that is then pushed down to force the air to cross the intercooler radiator. That is a limiting factor. Modify that and raise it by 10 mm or so but beware that it tends to collect a LOT of debree from the road on top of the intercooler radiator.

Old 05-16-2018, 01:46 PM

I almost forgot, the front edge of that is curved DOWN towards the front, you can use a heat gun to mold it upwards also

Old 05-16-2018, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Itismejoshy
Gibbo, you know the invictus British GT guys? That's sick! I just found out about them being in The British GT last week. Glad to see the racing info/tech already starting to hit the streets for the F-type, maybe JLR will step up and do some factory cars with the success of the Invictus team.

Back on topic, I was under the impression our tvs1900 was at the cooling capacity they are capable of internally, making additional or aftermarket intercoolers almost pointless? But that's all internet rederic I don't know enough about the math to confirm...?

We must watch different races.... they have 0 (ZERO) points and did not do well at all sadly.

There is NO supercharger that cools air... compressing air generates heat.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:01 PM

If you look at the air intake below the main one, look into it carefully. On the upper side you will see a diverter made of black plastic, this leaves a rather small area that is then pushed down to force the air to cross the intercooler radiator. That is a limiting factor. Modify that and raise it by 10 mm or so but beware that it tends to collect a LOT of debree from the road on top of the intercooler radiator.
Do you mean the lower half of the front grill opening?

Also is this another bumper off job?

Old 05-16-2018, 02:15 PM

Do you mean the lower half of the front grill opening?

Also is this another bumper off job?

Yes indeed. Sorry, I know it's a pain in the butt to get that bumper cover off every time. Just beware of the fact that you need to keep it clean afterwards

Old 05-16-2018, 02:19 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

While the coolant is shared, the electric pump works in such a way that it ONLY uses the same coolant for the intercooler without mixing it with the block nor the main radiator.
That's my understanding of the system as well. On the XF, there is only a small hose that connects the main cooling circuit with the supercharger cooling circuit. It's just there to allow for a common header tank/fill point and little or no fluid passes between the systems. I suspect heat radiated from the main radiator to the charge air radiator while stationary combined with engine heat conducted into the charge air coolers in what causes the problem when drag racing. If the intake charge temperature is getting too high when driving then it's a sizing/capacity issue, probably exasperated by the higher state of tune.

The following users liked this post:
FType17 (05-17-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 02:45 PM

We must watch different races.... they have 0 (ZERO) points and did not do well at all sadly.
Thanks for the correction, yes 2 races in they arnt doin that hot but again 2 races in, in the rain. Still stands, plenty of info to gather from them. Do we have any other F-type teams we can gather data from on this scale? Plenty of track time from members here, but no full time (100%} race cars I know off?

There is NO supercharger that cools air... compressing air generates heat.
​​​​​​​
Again thanks for the correction, I'll edit it to include "setup" so all are clear we don't mean the actual supercharger doing the cooling. I assumed most understood this.

Quick Reply: Separate header tank for SC - Anyone done this?