F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soft brake pedal after driving through puddle

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 11:30 AM
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Soft brake pedal after driving through puddle

I am assuming that what I am feeling is due to wet rotors and pads, but after driving through a deeper puddle than I would have liked to, I had to really stomp on the brakes to get the car to stop. The pedal felt really soft and unresponsive. Has anyone else experienced this?

Old 06-07-2017, 11:59 AM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

I've noticed that in heavy rain, the brakes don't work as well at first, but keep pushing and they still there.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Mueller
I am assuming that what I am feeling is due to wet rotors and pads, but after driving through a deeper puddle than I would have liked to, I had to really stomp on the brakes to get the car to stop. The pedal felt really soft and unresponsive. Has anyone else experienced this?
If the rotor was submerged, that will happen on any car. Should resolve itself quickly after the 2nd or third brake application.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:39 PM

I guess I am just not used to the feeling. When I had my C63 it would automatically dry the brakes and it had drilled rotors which I think helped.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
I've noticed that in heavy rain, the brakes don't work as well at first, but keep pushing and they still there.
I had a similar experience. It wasn't even raining that hard. I was coming off the expressway on a pretty short exit ramp with a traffic light at the bottom. I had a brief moment where I felt like I was in a movie and someone had cut my brake lines. Never had that experience again but perhaps the conditions just haven't been right.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:37 PM

So the rain has been relentless and I just left my office and had to immediately drive through a deep puddle to exit the parking lot. Again the brakes are mostly useless at the usual grab point so I stomp on them and the car eventually stops. After building up some speed, I continue to warm them up by doing some more braking. They come back to normal after about 5 medium/ hard brake applications. I takes a fair amount of time to dry these brakes out. Strange.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I drive through quite a bit of rain, but never experienced it to "cut brakes" degree on my F-type.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
I drive through quite a bit of rain, but never experienced it to "cut brakes" degree on my F-type.
It's usually not a problem if the brakes have been previously warmed up during a drive. It will be most noticeable if you are coming straight out of the gate and the rotors are still at ambient temp.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:56 AM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
It's usually not a problem if the brakes have been previously warmed up during a drive. It will be most noticeable if you are coming straight out of the gate and the rotors are still at ambient temp.
Or if you've been driving for some time on the highway w/o using the brakes. That's when I've most noticed it. Even then they work fine, just takes more pedal.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
Or if you've been driving for some time on the highway w/o using the brakes. That's when I've most noticed it. Even then they work fine, just takes more pedal.
This was my first experience with the slippery brake feeling. In reality, the car does stop, you just really need to hammer down on the whoa pedal. The feeling was the same after just taking off and then trying to use the brakes. The car does stop, but you really need to press down to get the same result. Also, there is a loss of "bite" that the brakes normally have. The brake bite is completely gone when they are wet and cool.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:44 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes I've had this happen after washing my car. I've occasionally noticed it in the rain but not that often.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:20 PM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Haven't experienced it in this car yet, but in the C43 when I would hit an especially big puddle or had been on the fwy in the rain for a long time and would take an offramp, I'd ride the brakes for just a bit to squeegee them off.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:23 PM

WTF is that ^^ "brake" link??

Old 06-13-2017, 09:17 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by Misujerr
WTF is that ^^ "brake" link??
I don't see what you're referring to, but the forum occasionally inserts advertising links for key words.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:01 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
I don't see what you're referring to, but the forum occasionally inserts advertising links for key words.
It's not the forum that inserts them, it's the poster's own computer/phone. Many people have inadvertently downloaded and installed an app that inserts the links.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey
It's not the forum that inserts them, it's the poster's own computer/phone. Many people have inadvertently downloaded and installed an app that inserts the links.
If anything it would be the reader's phone inserting adword links to hyperlink the reader to potential purchases.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:01 PM

Thanks, good to know, I did it from my computer, but don't see it now. When I clicked on it originally, it went to some.... thing. Like a tool for bending pipes or something? Not car brakes. Maybe it went away after I clicked it? Sorry for the threadjacking, once again...