Sponsored by:

Stock '17 SVR 1/4-mile Results

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 02:37 PM
SVR
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Stock '17 SVR 1/4-mile Results

Hi guys,

I wanted to get some baseline figures on my SVR I picked up last week before I make any modifications. My local drag strip is Infineon Raceway which many find to be a slower track than Sacramento (and nowhere near some tracks in the Northeast) due to a permanent 15 MPH head-wind and climate more suited for growing grapes than racing. Regardless, it's a very realistic representation and overall I was very satisfied.

DA at the time of my first run was 1750' with temp at 79 degrees dropping to a DA of 850' and 68 degrees towards the last run.

Car is a bone stock '17 SVR with a glass roof and iron brakes. First two runs were with a 1/4-tank of 91-octane where I then added 5 gallons of 100-octane (which made no meaningful difference). All runs were in Dynamic / V-Max mode with traction control shut off with with the gear selector in S letting the transmission shift on its own (except for the first run where I left TC on and did not engage V-Max mode). Launch technique was loading the torque converter for 1-2 seconds on the foot brake for all runs. On the last run, I forgot to shut off auto start/stop which made things fun as I was staging. I don't think the car liked that.

I set my expectation at 11.70 at 122 MPH beforehand and I was pleasantly surprised to consistently run quicker. I place a higher priority on trap speed as well as trap delta from the 2nd half of the track as these are better indicators of how fast the car is in the real world, and while I would have liked to see another MPH or two, I'm not disappointed.

TL;DR: 11.5 @ 121 MPH.

Happy to hear thoughts.

Attached Thumbnails Stock '17 SVR 1/4-mile Results-img_33861.jpg  

Last edited by SVR; 08-17-2017 at 02:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jaguny (08-18-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 03:19 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts

I won't mention engine break-in...

RickyJay52 (08-18-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 04:36 PM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

It's a lease, he doesn't care!

That didn't take long OP!

RickyJay52 (08-18-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 05:40 PM
SVR

LOL. Whether it's leased or purchased makes no difference in how I drive, maintain, or modify any of my cars. The break-in discussion is not one I care to have, though.

Oh, yeah...new forum, and people don't know me here yet. Let's just say I kinda know what I'm doing.

RickyJay52 (08-18-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 05:47 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Pretty decent results given the conditions. More on par with what an R would get in good conditions, but not bad all things considered. What mods are you considering?

Old 08-17-2017, 06:38 PM
SVR

Originally Posted by Mark G
Pretty decent results given the conditions. More on par with what an R would get in good conditions, but not bad all things considered.
Thanks. There were two Rs running as well, one coupe and one convertible, both AWD. The coupe was going 11.9-12.0 at 118. Didn't get a chance to see what the convertible did.

What mods are you considering?
Engine wise, I'm evaluating two routes: ECU Tuning Group tune/pulley, or VelocityAP tune/pulley/downpipes. The jury is still out and I'm not convinced one way vs. another. VelocityAP seems like a more popular route on this forum, but I'm not sure how much of that is due to price.

Modifications otherwise will be mostly aesthetic which I'm having a hell of a time trying to source. If anyone can name a few providers of carbon fiber lips, diffusers, or other bits besides OEM carbon pack parts, I'd appreciate it.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:18 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

All I can say is that car is damn fast! Your ETs are right in line with times here.
I'd like to see what it'll do on a 50 degree day with no headwind

Old 08-18-2017, 03:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,583 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by SVR
LOL. Whether it's leased or purchased makes no difference in how I drive, maintain, or modify any of my cars. The break-in discussion is not one I care to have, though.

Oh, yeah...new forum, and people don't know me here yet. Let's just say I kinda know what I'm doing.
Now...about those growing grapes...

One assumes given the "extensive" list of mods you're considering (and extensive or not) and it being a leased car, your options at the end of the lease are either to remove them all or buy the car?

Happy motoring to you!

Old 08-18-2017, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Now...about those growing grapes...

One assumes given the "extensive" list of mods you're considering (and extensive or not) and it being a leased car, your options at the end of the lease are either to remove them all or buy the car?

Happy motoring to you!
Jay, There is a descent market for used OE/aftermarket parts from folks who have modified their leased cars. You just return the car to stock at lease turn in and sell the parts.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kief
Jay, There is a descent market for used OE/aftermarket parts from folks who have modified their leased cars. You just return the car to stock at lease turn in and sell the parts.
Descent or decent? .

Although I do realize that there's usually depreciation across the board.

Glad to have you back here Kief!

Old 08-18-2017, 09:05 AM

Descent or decent? .

Although I do realize that there's usually depreciation across the board.

Glad to have you back here Kief!
What do you expect at 4:09am!!

Old 08-18-2017, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kief
What do you expect at 4:09am!!
I would expect both of us to be asleep! Obviously I am quite wrong.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:53 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

A couple of things to keep in mind, especially on a leased car. Jaguar doesn't seem to be too happy about aftermarket mods. At least one guy here recently had to buy a new engine for his new R after he put on a tune that went bad. I'm not saying it will happen, but be prepared to cover that if you choose to tune it. I'd like to do the same with my car, but was all but warned not to by my salesman, even though I bought mine. Contrast that to other makes...My GTR service guy fully endorsed my upgrades.

Ok a side note, having spent a lot of time in the Napa/Sonoma area in the past blasting down the roads in previous cars...including an e46 M3 and Boxster S, I'm super jealous right now because I'd love to have this car out there. There's nowhere in Florida that I've found that comes close to that experience. And the low humidity and cool weather make the car so much faster. The downside is the 91 octane gas, but it's worth the trade-off. Enjoy!

Old 08-18-2017, 12:16 PM
SVR

Happy motoring to you!
I wouldn't consider a tune and pulley to be "extensive" modifications, but yes...I remove most modifications before I return or sell any of my cars.

A couple of things to keep in mind, especially on a leased car. Jaguar doesn't seem to be too happy about aftermarket mods. At least one guy here recently had to buy a new engine for his new R after he put on a tune that went bad. I'm not saying it will happen, but be prepared to cover that if you choose to tune it. I'd like to do the same with my car, but was all but warned not to by my salesman, even though I bought mine. Contrast that to other makes...My GTR service guy fully endorsed my upgrades.

Ok a side note, having spent a lot of time in the Napa/Sonoma area in the past blasting down the roads in previous cars...including an e46 M3 and Boxster S, I'm super jealous right now because I'd love to have this car out there. There's nowhere in Florida that I've found that comes close to that experience. And the low humidity and cool weather make the car so much faster. The downside is the 91 octane gas, but it's worth the trade-off. Enjoy!
Agreed, although the GTR community is a bit of an anomaly. The GTR team at my local dealer is among the best I've ever worked with. Otherwise, it's business as usual. I certainly understand the risks, but I've had no significant issues over the past 50+ cars. The only time I've needed an engine replaced was on Porsche which was completely stock. Go figure.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by SVR
VelocityAP seems like a more popular route on this forum, but I'm not sure how much of that is due to price.
I'd suggest that VAP's popularity is due to things other than price...

Cheers,
Dave

Old 08-18-2017, 05:13 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Look up Mina gallery for carbon fibre parts -- mirrors, side vents , front splitter --- very reasonably priced

Old 08-18-2017, 05:21 PM
SVR

Originally Posted by DPelletier
I'd suggest that VAP's popularity is due to things other than price...
Please elaborate.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by SVR
Please elaborate.
Customer service, willingness to share technical details, published dyno results. The others treat the latter two issues as if they were trade secrets.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:20 PM
SVR

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Customer service, willingness to share technical details, published dyno results. The others treat the latter two issues as if they were trade secrets.
I agree, although details and dyno results for VAP's setup are still a bit limited. Has anyone had experience with both tunes or done a direct comparison?

I am local to ECU Tuning Group's head office which is a huge plus. They also tuned my friend's 997 GT2 and he had nothing but great things to say.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Also VAP do not make claims that the manufacturer will not be able to detect the tune. Some others make a broad reference that their tune is not detectable, however under scrutiny, they usually 'clarify'.

I have VAP tune on my R (not including pulley) and the results are as advertised. Great throttle response and pulls harder on full throttle.

No doubt other tuning companies are fine, however a number of forum members have done well with VAP on their Jaguars.
Lawrence