F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Streaming Sirius/XM Through Bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 04:15 PM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Streaming Sirius/XM Through Bluetooth?

First off, thanks to all who responded to my color question, as it relates to age. As for the IRR choice, it's not equipped with satellite radio!? The dealer, who claims to be an audiophile states, no problem. His suggested solution is to download the Sirius App on my phone and play it through the system. He went on to say, the quality through the IPhone App is superior to the Sirius radio through the Meridian.

Opinions and comments appreciated...

Old 04-12-2015, 06:10 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave
First off, thanks to all who responded to my color question, as it relates to age. As for the IRR choice, it's not equipped with satellite radio!? The dealer, who claims to be an audiophile states, no problem. His suggested solution is to download the Sirius App on my phone and play it through the system. He went on to say, the quality through the IPhone App is superior to the Sirius radio through the Meridian.

Opinions and comments appreciated...
This is probably true as long as you have sufficient bandwidth to stream. Bluetooth audio generally sounds better than satellite radio.

The key reason I say probably is because I don't know if the Sirius XM streaming app streams at a higher bitrate than the satellite service. i.e. the bluetooth is better than the satellite link, but I don't know about whether the bottleneck is really Sirius XM content quality.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
This is probably true as long as you have sufficient bandwidth to stream. Bluetooth audio generally sounds better than satellite radio.

The key reason I say probably is because I don't know if the Sirius XM streaming app streams at a higher bitrate than the satellite service. i.e. the bluetooth is better than the satellite link, but I don't know about whether the bottleneck is really Sirius XM content quality.
I can confirm that streaming my iTunes library through Bluetooth sounds far superior than the Sirius XM radio in the car. I don't know about their streaming service having never tried it.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:00 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

I just quickly tested this in my truck - which has an excellent audio system - and the Sirius XM app streaming via bluetooth does indeed sound much better than the live satellite feed. I'll try again later and report back if a longer listen to the two sources leads to a different conclusion but the early verdict is a win for the app via Bluetooth.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (04-12-2015)
Old 04-12-2015, 08:30 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,092 Likes on 1,394 Posts

Sirius/XM is an option - I gather you're looking at a car on the lot that doesn't have it? From what I understand it's tough to install after the fact, so you'do be stuck with streaming, or a USB device with your library. It also has memory for 10 CDs, so I've ripped those in case of a music emergency.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,598 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I can confirm that streaming my iTunes library through Bluetooth sounds far superior than the Sirius XM radio in the car. I don't know about their streaming service having never tried it.
I can - having subscribed two weeks ago - and it kinda s#%^s. My wife and I were actually surprised how awful it sounded (as much as I adore, and prefer, the sound of the exhaust, there are times - and I anticipate on longer journeys - I want the option of SIRIUS radio; other times CD's...which I still listen to often). When we switched to my wife's iPhone - or my iPad - the sound quality improved dramatically. *That was my/our initial impressions.

*Having said all that, there were some tunes (channels) which sounded better than others (real jazz was usually better than classic rock I found - two of my favorites) but I think I need to do further listening to come to a more definitive conclusion.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member

Swajames,

Thanks for the report on the Sirius/XM app. May try that via Bluetooth if it's better than the sat radio, which is horrible. I haven't been pleased with it in the last 5-6 cars, all with good audio systems. I have been very pleased with any Bluetooth source on my 380w Meridian.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-12-2015 at 09:25 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 04-12-2015, 10:05 PM

It's well worth a try, Foosh. I took a longer listen on the way home from a trip out this afternoon and I still found the SiriusXM app streamed to the audio system to be better than the live satellite feed.

Also of note - I had the SiriusXM iOS app streaming quality set to "Normal" and it was still better than the live satellite feed. There's also a "high" and "maximum" setting for streaming which I will also try.

Foosh (04-12-2015)
Old 04-13-2015, 01:04 PM
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a lifetime Sirius account, offered back when they first recruited Howard Stern. The selection of music is very limited in my opinion. I did not transfer my lifetime account (transferable only 3 times) to the Jaguar after the free trial. You will be better off streaming your phone with Apps such as Slacker, Iheartradio and Pandora for free.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-users-136597/

Old 04-14-2015, 10:05 AM

Just to keep the thread updated, I played around a little more with streaming with the SiriusXM app and tried it with the stream quality set to both high and maximum. It's very good - much, much better than the live satellite feed. On a par with Spotify/Rdio etc running at their higher bit rate settings.

Foosh (04-14-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by swajames
Just to keep the thread updated, I played around a little more with streaming with the SiriusXM app and tried it with the stream quality set to both high and maximum. It's very good - much, much better than the live satellite feed. On a par with Spotify/Rdio etc running at their higher bit rate settings.
Great news. I'm guessing that's the only way Sirius/XM will survive and that sat radios will soon disappear from cars. Even Ford Fiestas and Chevy Sonics generally have the capability to stream from Bluetooth these days.

The only reason for having a sat radio is if you're in a remote location with no 3 or 4G signal.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:14 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

Also keep in mind that the streaming services use your mobile data, so if you don't have an unlimited data plan with your carrier, you can easily burn through your data allotment. The higher the bitrate, or quality, the more data being transferred as well.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,659 Likes on 3,365 Posts
Default Current Sirius Rates

FYI: Standard annual renewal rate for Sirius now appears to be $230. Threaten to cancel and you can get it lowered to $33/6mos. For that kind of savings, I'm more than willing to make a call every 6 months.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
FYI: Standard annual renewal rate for Sirius now appears to be $230. Threaten to cancel and you can get it lowered to $33/6mos. For that kind of savings, I'm more than willing to make a call every 6 months.

I've been doing this for the past 6 years for 2 cars at the same time. 5 months for $25. i feel bad for whoever pays full price

Old 05-15-2018, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Most recent promo was $60 for 12 months so that you don't have to all every 6 months.

Unhingd (05-15-2018)