F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SVR Wheels - Are both designs forged?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 10:20 AM
Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts
Question SVR Wheels - Are both designs forged?

Hi there

I am planning on getting another set of wheels for my SVR, my car currently has the satin grey forged SVR wheels which are quite light in weight.

I can get a set of the ceramic brake SVR wheels for a good good price, the diamond cut ones, but I can't see any mention if these are forged or not and if they weight more or less than my current SVR wheels?

The plan is I shall run one set with PS4S for cooler months and the other set with cup 2's for track days and Summer months.

I just wondered if both types of SVR wheel run the same offsets and if they are both forged?

Old 09-24-2018, 11:03 AM
Received 81 Likes on 35 Posts

The Storm wheels used with the carbon ceramic brakes are forged. I don't know about the relative weights or offsets.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by RIRR
The Storm wheels used with the carbon ceramic brakes are forged. I don't know about the relative weights or offsets.
The storm were the first carbon ceramic wheels, which for sure were forged.

But the SVR had updated wheel design for ceramics and I am not 100% sure if they are forged or not. I know the SVR wheels for none ceramic equipped cars were indeed forged, which is what I have.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:33 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,064 Likes on 1,369 Posts

The US MY17 brochure (same as UK MY16?) lists both SVR wheels as forged alloy, but of course, it doesn't list weights...
http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/...-Type_2017.pdf

Old 09-24-2018, 11:47 AM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

You'll want to weigh them no matter what the catalogue says. If I recall correctly, the blade wheels with the carbon fiber inserts that came with my car were listed as forged, but they were extremely heavy.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawumba
You'll want to weigh them no matter what the catalogue says. If I recall correctly, the blade wheels with the carbon fiber inserts that came with my car were listed as forged, but they were extremely heavy.
Agreed.
The carbon fibre inserts weigh next to nothing but of course they are purely decorative.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:04 AM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

The forged Storm wheels (T2R10299/T2R10300) are heavy. I weighed mine and they are heavier than the cast Gyrodyne:
  • Storm: F:35lbs, R:39.8lbs
  • Gyrodyne: F:32lbs, R:34.2lbs
Forged doesn’t automatically mean lighter. Depends on the wheel design. Both Coriolis and Maelstrom wheels for the SVR are forged. I’m interested to know how much they weigh.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:12 AM

Did a quick search and found that zmoothg already posted the weight of the Maelstrom:

Originally Posted by zmoothg
The front wheels measured 28.0 lbs, and the rear 28.9 lbs. Not the lightest rims, but acceptable. My original gyrodynes came in at 32.5 lbs front and 34 lbs rear. About a 5 lbs. savings on each wheel.
​​​​​​​

Old 09-25-2018, 04:31 AM

I did weigh my SVR wheels, but I cannot find the photo I took, but if memory serves me right my SVR (none diamond cut ones) were 12kg (27lbs) for the rear wheel.
The seller on SVR diamond cut wheels has replied saying the rear wheel is around 13.5kg (30lbs).

Once I get these I shall weigh them without and with tyre.
Then when I remove the others I shall weigh without and with tyre also for comparison.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

I was looking at Vertini Flow Forged RF series and contacted the manufacturer. Was told they were 20-24 lbs ea. depending on style for 20 inch. Was told their Vertini/Stance forged series could be up to 5 lbs lighter.
For street driving, would a 10 lb reduction in unsprung weight be noticeable in driving dynamics? For those of you with the Wortec rotors, some commented that the driving difference was noticeable, and as I recall that weight drop wasn't as significant? By the way, both of these wheels are reasonably priced. Gibbo, I can start new thread if hijack in process.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:31 AM

You notice unsprung mass reduction the most on ride quality and I'd say a driver who is quite aware and feels slight changes in their will be able to feel an improvement with just upto 2kg per corner shaved on ride quality.
You may also notice improvement on turn in and agility.
Acceleration I doubt you will notice to be honest.

When I fitted the brakes the ride quality difference was very noticeable and the cars agility.
Of course when you save weight with wheels it tends to be even more noticeable simply due to the larger diameter.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by mp_x152
The forged Storm wheels (T2R10299/T2R10300) are heavy. I weighed mine and they are heavier than the cast Gyrodyne:
Forged doesn’t automatically mean lighter. Depends on the wheel design. Both Coriolis and Maelstrom wheels for the SVR are forged. I’m interested to know how much they weigh.
This has me wondering about the true weight savings of the carbon ceramic brake package with the Storm wheels. The brochure for my car (2015 model year) states, "offering up to a 46 lbs weight saving." This could well mean a 46 lbs. weight savings when compared to a car equipped with the heaviest wheel type offered (don't know which one that would be) and the heaviest conventional brakes (probably the super performance brakes). If it simply means 46 lbs savings on the brakes alone, the Storm wheels apparently sacrifice some of that savings (compared to the Gyrodynes and possibly other F-Type wheels).

Last edited by RIRR; 09-25-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:18 AM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

This has me wondering about the true weight savings of the carbon ceramic brake package with the Storm wheels. The brochure for my car (2015 model year) states, "offering up to a 46 lbs weight saving." This could well mean a 46 lbs. weight savings when compared to a car equipped with the heaviest wheel type offered (don't know which one that would be) and the heaviest conventional brakes (probably the super performance brakes). If it simply means 46 lbs savings on the brakes alone, the Storm wheels apparently sacrifice some of that savings (compared to the Gyrodynes and possibly other F-Type wheels).
Agree, given the emphasis on marketing over engineering these days, these types of weight claims are suspect. Case in point: all the hype about an the aluminum body, then bloat the car out to 4000 lbs anyways. 70 lbs of lead batteries, seriously, its like they didn't even try.

That was why I jumped on the Wortec option - combined with lighter aftermarket forged wheels, I've knocked at least 100 lbs of unsprung weight (double what the CCB save) and for about the same money get better looking wheels that don't require spacers. BTW, I'm not knocking the CCB, I'm sure they offer superior stopping/fade, its just for my uses factory brakes are adequate, I was more interested in weight savings and appearance.

Last edited by Chawumba; 09-25-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:30 AM

Well on a SVR I think they state ceramic brakes save you 21kg, over regular ceramics.

Now remember an SVR comes with forged wheels whether you take ceramics or not.

So I suspect the 21kg saving you get by selecting ceramics is mostly in the ceramic rotors as the calipers on ceramics are bigger but lighter, plus you have the additional handbrake caliper assembly too. So its probably safe to safe the ceramic rotors probably save around 25kg, but some kilos get added back in from the bigger calipers and also maybe the ceramic optioned SVR forged wheels are maybe a touch heavier too.

RIRR (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Chawumba
That was why I jumped on the Wortec option - combined with lighter aftermarket forged wheels, I've knocked at least 100 lbs of unsprung weight (double what the CCB save) and for about the same money get better looking wheels that don't require spacers. BTW, I'm not knocking the CCB, I'm sure they offer superior stopping/fade, Its just for my uses factory brakes are adequate, I was more interested in weight savings and appearance.
That is an impressive weight reduction. If I didn't already have the CCB, it would be mighty attractive. Guess I could still spring for some lighter wheels.

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
Well on a SVR I think they state ceramic brakes save you 21kg, over regular ceramics.

Now remember an SVR comes with forged wheels whether you take ceramics or not.

So I suspect the 21kg saving you get by selecting ceramics is mostly in the ceramic rotors as the calipers on ceramics are bigger but lighter, plus you have the additional handbrake caliper assembly too. So its probably safe to safe the ceramic rotors probably save around 25kg, but some kilos get added back in from the bigger calipers and also maybe the ceramic optioned SVR forged wheels are maybe a touch heavier too.
So it is simply a weight savings on the brakes. It would seem to make sense from a performance perspective to match the CCB with lighter wheels, but, as Chawumba stated above, overall weight savings wasn't a big priority.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:21 PM

The stated 46 lbs is just the savings from the brakes. I weighed both the CCB parts and the super performance brake parts and the total weight savings for me came out to ~48lbs (including pads and hardware). The added weight from the Storms reduces the number to ~32lbs. The saving grace may be that the majority of the CCB weight savings is up front. The fronts save about 22lbs each side, and the rear just ~2lbs. This is due to the added weight of the additional bracket and the parking caliper.

RIRR (09-25-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 09:55 PM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mp_x152
I have ceramics with the storm wheels and indeed they are extremely heavy. It actually pissed me off the first time I pulled them off, thinking why is the wheel so heavy on a car with a carbon ceramic brake which saves a lot of weight. Are you 100% sure they are forged? I remember reading made in Taiwan on them but don't recall seeing a forged marking.

Last edited by Mpowerr; 09-27-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

I suspect the way to tell if the wheels are forged or cast is to look at the inside of them.
If the details (size, offset etc) are cast into the spokes then they are cast, but if the details are etched or stickered on the barrel with nothing on the spokes they are most likely forged.

Old 09-28-2018, 02:56 AM

I recall seeing somewhere (brochure or specs online) Jaguar stating they are forged. There is also a cast version, but the black with diamond cut spokes that came with CCB vehicles along with the gloss black ones are forged.

They are smooth on the backside of the face and the markings are engraved.

The advantage of the forging process is added strength and structural integrity, which allows the wheel design to use less material to reduce weight. The fact that there is also a cast version of the exact same wheel design should have been a clue that they are heavy, but I missed it.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:31 AM

Weighed the front SVR wheel (diamond turned) and it weighs in at 12.8kg (28lbs).
The rear is too wide for the scales but if I get on scales, then someone passes me the wheel my weight goes up by 13kg, so about 29lbs for the rear.

Quick Reply: SVR Wheels - Are both designs forged?