F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

swapping head units from older style to newer 10" screen

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2023, 01:37 PM
Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts
Default swapping head units from older style to newer 10" screen

I did a forum search and it appeared most all the conversations on this topic were a few years old. I just saw a Youtube video and they were in Europe but did swap out the older head unit for the newer 10" unit. From what I was reading in the old threads that didn't seem possible. Has anyone done it and if so, how pricey was it? I have a 2016 R with the 770w system and the resolution on that model year is seriously dated and doesn't really appear to have much color at all. Most screens are simply black/white.

The same person who had the video changed out the projection headlights to LED headlights. He claimed they were OEM. I don't recall seeing any headlights that were LED from the older models of the F Type. Just curious on this one. Wouldn't probably ever do it but just didn't know Jaguar made them.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-19-2023, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts

I believe the 2018-2020 headlights are LED.

From what I have been able to gather about upgrading the Bosch system from 8" to 10", the options are limited. The 2018 model had the Harmon unit with an 8" screen and that could easily be upgraded to 10". I have seen people switch out the Bosch 8' with an Andoid unit (Merryway) with mixed success. I simply went with the UAD unit that allows for full Android Auto/Carplay integration. It's worked very well for me and the only complaint I have is every time I get into the car, I have to hit the Nav button to switch it to the UAD unit. The bluetooth works great and all the Android screens look much better than the stock unit. I also no longer need a phone mount as I just leave it in my pocked for most trips or put it in the center console to charge on long trips.

Old 03-19-2023, 02:31 PM
Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by eeeeek
I believe the 2018-2020 headlights are LED.

From what I have been able to gather about upgrading the Bosch system from 8" to 10", the options are limited. The 2018 model had the Harmon unit with an 8" screen and that could easily be upgraded to 10". I have seen people switch out the Bosch 8' with an Andoid unit (Merryway) with mixed success. I simply went with the UAD unit that allows for full Android Auto/Carplay integration. It's worked very well for me and the only complaint I have is every time I get into the car, I have to hit the Nav button to switch it to the UAD unit. The bluetooth works great and all the Android screens look much better than the stock unit. I also no longer need a phone mount as I just leave it in my pocked for most trips or put it in the center console to charge on long trips.

Do you lose any functions by going the UAD route? I read on the old threads that you lose Navigation. I know every phone has it anyway but I hate losing any stock functionality. I will have to look into it more. I have no idea what that entails. And I guess I didn't realize the 18-20's had the LED's. I guess the rare time I see an F Type around me they must be 17 or older.

Old 03-19-2023, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts

You lose the stock Nav screen, but you gain Google maps and Waze and many other better options. The stock I was fine with this as the stock nav system doesn't provide real time traffic updates and is no longer current.

Old 03-19-2023, 07:11 PM
Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

My 2016 R screen looks great - when driven by the UAD unit. I also put in LED bulbs. Both linked in my sig.