Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Symposer Defeat

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 07:11 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Meth setup

Originally Posted by mcphill
Can you post a pic of the top of your SC?

boost reference line is circled in green. It’s super dusty

4 port direct meth injection. Snowperformance stage 2E system with a solenoid + prometh distributer and nozzles. Boost reference is tapped on the sc plenum and lined through the steering column to the controller on the dash
lol. Cons of living in the middle east

Old 10-29-2022, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to make the same mod, but what did you do with the wiring harness that went to the vacuum actuator once you removed the symposer?
Did you just leave it unconnected? Does it throw any codes?

Old 10-30-2022, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,280 Likes on 1,794 Posts

The Symposer sets no codes regardless if it's hooked up or not.
You can disable it anyway you like.
I just unhooked the tube going to the cabin and plugged it. I left everything else in place for now. If and when I pull the blower I will neaten up that area and remove excess the parts.

Old 10-30-2022, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 958 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I left everything else in place for now. If and when I pull the blower I will neaten up that area and remove excess the parts.
That's where I'm sitting. I occasionally open the hood and stare at the symposer but always end up leaving it rather than opening the can of worms full removal represents.

Old 10-31-2022, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member

Yes it's just so buried at the back of the engine. When I saw a picture of the engine out and all that is involved with the Symposer I just kind of backed off and plugged the tube.
Yea it's worse for you F-Type guys because the hood opens backwards and the Symposer is right there. On my XJ the Symposer is WAY in the back so you got to know where to look to even see it!

If fact I am embarrassed but when all this Symposer stuff started getting talked about I was sure my car did not have it because I had never seen it when working under the hood. I had to look at some pictures to find it.

Old 01-23-2023, 02:55 AM
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Note this is a LR only part. LR025788

Do you have to remove the S/C to install this part?

Last edited by MaxD; 01-23-2023 at 03:08 AM.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:47 AM
Received 179 Likes on 122 Posts

I can't speak to the F-Type, but I think it would be extremely hard, if not impossible, to do it on an XF without removing the SC, or at least unbolting the SC and sliding it forward to give some access clearance.

Old 01-23-2023, 04:16 AM
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

It's a curiousity, but I suspect the S/C has to move/be removed for access.

Old 01-24-2023, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member

I don't know but the F-Type has the reverse opening hood so the Symposer is all out in the open compared to the cars with front opening hoods. I know on my XJ that getting to the Symposer requires laying on top of the engine and getting back under the cowling stuff.
You can can get to it but it does take a bit of work!

Old 01-24-2023, 09:25 AM

Yep. Reconnecting everything on the back of the engine, even after removing the symposer (so a lot more room to move) after putting the SC back in place was a complete PITA on my XF.

Old 03-29-2023, 04:17 AM
Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

For future reference this is the size of high temp silicone plugs that will seal perfectly. The opening is 16mm in diameter.

you will have to cut them as above. You can actually use either part to seal. The plug bit will need to be cut so only 2mm above the rim of the hole and it goes down into the hole or use the top flat bit sits on top of the hole but is compressed and seals the hole anyways when you fit the connection back together .

It makes a big difference to the sound levels inside the car. A lot quieter even under acceleration. Actually too quiet for me

Old 03-29-2023, 06:53 AM
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Borbor
For future reference this is the size of high temp silicone plugs that will seal perfectly. The opening is 16mm in diameter.

you will have to cut them as above. You can actually use either part to seal. The plug bit will need to be cut so only 2mm above the rim of the hole and it goes down into the hole or use the top flat bit sits on top of the hole but is compressed and seals the hole anyways when you fit the connection back together .

It makes a big difference to the sound levels inside the car. A lot quieter even under acceleration. Actually too quiet for me
Thanks for showing the size you used - I'm going to replace the foam I used with a solid plug. I'm fine with some further reduction in the cabin noise.

I wonder if you could use a plug with a hole in it to limit the sound without killing it all together, for those who still want some pumped in noises? Or possibly just use foam in those instances.

Old 03-29-2023, 08:39 AM

There are a million ways to skin that cat. Just play around with what you like. There are also other ways to get more real engine noise into the cabin or make it quieter besides just the symposer tube.

Old 03-29-2023, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sovande
Thanks for showing the size you used - I'm going to replace the foam I used with a solid plug. I'm fine with some further reduction in the cabin noise.

I wonder if you could use a plug with a hole in it to limit the sound without killing it all together, for those who still want some pumped in noises? Or possibly just use foam in those instances.
I'm confident the foam I'm using cuts out effectively 100% and I'm happy with that. The next step will be removal but every time I open the hood and stare at that thing I decide to wait until I'm deep enough in there for something else and close the hood.

Old 03-29-2023, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I'm confident the foam I'm using cuts out effectively 100% and I'm happy with that. The next step will be removal but every time I open the hood and stare at that thing I decide to wait until I'm deep enough in there for something else and close the hood.
I just put a silicone plug in as is shown above. It feels like a "cleaner" solution to me since the only foam I had was not able to be fitted as tightly as your pictures show. I won't know til morning if it makes a difference.

Old 03-30-2023, 09:57 AM

After replacing the foam I originally rolled up and stuffed in the pipe with a tight fitting silicone plug, the results are pretty dramatic. With the foam I still got engine noise in the cabin through the symposer - it was quieter than without, but still evident. With the plug, the sound is completely blocked and the result is a much quieter cabin and (for me) a nicer driving experience.

Old 03-30-2023, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sovande
After replacing the foam I originally rolled up and stuffed in the pipe with a tight fitting silicone plug, the results are pretty dramatic. With the foam I still got engine noise in the cabin through the symposer - it was quieter than without, but still evident. With the plug, the sound is completely blocked and the result is a much quieter cabin and (for me) a nicer driving experience.
The foam I used was dense, closed-cell ensolite I had left over from a car stereo project some years back, and I rolled up a tight plug of it. The next thing I'm doing with the system is removal, but that's low priority. I've got some spiffy parts that have been sitting a long time waiting for installation and they take precedence, although I'm still wary of the lowering springs. I don't want to end up unable to drive on the rod to get to/from home. I'd feel pretty foolish if that happened.

Old 02-29-2024, 06:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am going to 3d print a blocker plate to try out since I am removing mine. Will report back on heat tolerance.

Old 02-29-2024, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Zen Beer
I am going to 3d print a blocker plate to try out since I am removing mine. Will report back on heat tolerance.
VAP now has one you can buy. I just installed it. Sure, I could have saved a little by fabricating something, but had not found the time to do so over the last few years. I was happy enough with the defeat that the delete just dropped down to the back of the priority list.

Old 03-01-2024, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

Hey your the first one I have heard that installed one.

What do you think? I like the metal construction and the added nipple for measuring boost.
I just have a plastic cap with a clamp on it blocking my Symposer off. Not very pretty for sure!

Quick Reply: Symposer Defeat