F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those Pesky Worn Seat Bolsters

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 08:41 PM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Those Pesky Worn Seat Bolsters

The bottom part of seat bolsters wear over time. I found a DIY solution and I'm very happy with it. A fellow named Andy has a business called Seat Doctors and he specially formulates a product that will get rid of those unsightly wear marks. It is a water based formulation of urethane, flex additive, color formulation, and more flex additive. He will ask you for your VIN, Color Code, and name of the color. The more info the better. I applied mine with a q tip to the creases a couple times, and then applied some with a soft cloth to cover the entire area. This is what it looks like:

Before and after: If you plan to have your seats treated, it is best to apply it and let it sit for a couple days. If you google Seat Doctors, you will see his work.

ps: Andy does not ship overseas

Attached Thumbnails Those Pesky Worn Seat Bolsters-bolster-before.jpg   Those Pesky Worn Seat Bolsters-bolster-after.jpg  

Last edited by Jagged Wire; 06-14-2017 at 11:18 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jagged Wire:
jaguny (06-15-2017), OzXFR (06-14-2017), Unhingd (06-15-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,138 Likes on 2,312 Posts

Hey Jagged, this is exactly what I need for the bolster on my driver's seat.
Same colour seats as yours too.
Looking at the web page it doesn't look like they post OS.
Also, being as my car is Oz delivered providing the VIN to them probably won't work, and there is no colour code that I can find for the F-Type red seats, Jag simply calls them "red".
Maybe you can buy another kit, same as you already have, and post it to me?

Old 06-14-2017, 11:17 PM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Hey Jagged, this is exactly what I need for the bolster on my driver's seat.
Same colour seats as yours too.
Looking at the web page it doesn't look like they post OS.
Also, being as my car is Oz delivered providing the VIN to them probably won't work, and there is no colour code that I can find for the F-Type red seats, Jag simply calls them "red".
Maybe you can buy another kit, same as you already have, and post it to me?
Hi Oz. Our postal system does not let us ship liquids overseas (or any liquids domestic either) and I don't want to get caught by customs. Andy does not ship overseas because the shipping costs are more than the cost of his product, and I think he is subject to the same regulations. I do think, however, that if you mention Redzone for the fellow in California, he will remember the formulation. I'm sorry I can't help.

The following users liked this post:
OzXFR (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagged Wire
Hi Oz. Our postal system does not let us ship liquids overseas (or any liquids domestic either) and I don't want to get caught by customs. Andy does not ship overseas because the shipping costs are more than the cost of his product, and I think he is subject to the same regulations. I do think, however, that if you mention Redzone for the fellow in California, he will remember the formulation. I'm sorry I can't help.
Thanks for your reply.
That's a bummer that I can't get the kit though.
But I have an idea.
I have used Gliptone Liquid Leather in the past (on my old XFR with Ivory leather), Gliptone is a UK based firm that sells similar products to what Seat Doctors do (with no problems of shipping liquids OS), but when I asked them a couple of months ago about Liquid Leather for my red F-Type seats they said they knew nothing about those seats.
Maybe I can put them in touch with Andy and he can tell them all about the dyes needed for the F-Type red leather.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:52 PM

Thanks for your reply.
That's a bummer that I can't get the kit though.
But I have an idea.
I have used Gliptone Liquid Leather in the past (on my old XFR with Ivory leather), Gliptone is a UK based firm that sells similar products to what Seat Doctors do (with no problems of shipping liquids OS), but when I asked them a couple of months ago about Liquid Leather for my red F-Type seats they said they knew nothing about those seats.
Maybe I can put them in touch with Andy and he can tell them all about the dyes needed for the F-Type red leather.
The color is called Redzone as in your signature and I give him a color code of CHX. Its on the upper white sticker on the driver's side door, bottom line. Mine says "Paint CHR" "Trim CHX" CHX is color code I gave Andy but put (?) because I wasn't positively sure.

Let us know what you find out.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagged Wire
The color is called Redzone as in your signature and I give him a color code of CHX. Its on the upper white sticker on the driver's side door, bottom line. Mine says "Paint CHR" "Trim CHX" CHX is color code I gave Andy but put (?) because I wasn't positively sure.

Let us know what you find out.
Yeah, I told Gliptone the trim code was CHX and they came back and said "not in our database, never heard of it".

Old 06-15-2017, 02:28 AM
GGG
Received 16,822 Likes on 12,177 Posts

Bolster wear is a regular issue on many Jaguar models.

For repair (cleaner/filler/dye) Leatherique and Gliptone products have been widely used and recommended across our forums. Both suppliers do custom colours if the Jaguar trim code isn't in their standard range.

LRP PRODUCTS | Leatherique Restoration Products

www.liquidleather.com/22-scuffmaster-dyes

Here's a 'before' and 'after' example of the driver's seat in an X308 I had a few years ago:

Those Pesky Worn Seat Bolsters-03-back-lh-cleaned.jpg Those Pesky Worn Seat Bolsters-04-back-lh-dyed.jpg

I used a Gliptone Scuffmaster kit but others have posted similar results using the Leatherique equivalent.

Graham

Mahjik (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

I'm getting serious wear on the bottom of the (painful) piping in the center of the performance seatbacks. Probably from the pant waist and belt. The Seat Doctor solution would be great.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:01 PM
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

The best doctor however is ourselves, how we enter and exit, how we protect the seats from scratches mainly created by how the seat is loaded... :-)

I have my Range Rover Sport, 7 years now, 70 thousand km, without a scratch in the seats because it was well treated at entry-exits. Nothing else

I keep seeing drivers ruin the steering wheel leather only by careless entry in the car, fighting against the steering wheel with their jeans or scratching it with all means possible like cell phones, eyeglasses, watches, objects, etc.

Last edited by JagAlb; 06-15-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:33 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,082 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Originally Posted by JagAlb
I keep seeing drivers ruin the steering wheel leather only by careless entry in the car, fighting against the steering wheel with their jeans or scratching it with all means possible like cell phones, eyeglasses, watches, objects, etc.
Some may not be aware that the steering wheel can be set to lift up automatically for entry/exit. I like that feature.

JagAlb (06-16-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member

I asked Gliptone if they could contact Seat Doctors / Andy and obtain his recipe for the red seat colour, and this was their response:

"Unfortunately we are not in position to contact another company and ask for these details.
If you can obtain this information yourself and forward onto us we would be able to go by the formula as long as it's in 'ML'."

I have no idea what ML is, maybe someone here knows, if not I can always ask Gliptone to explain.
Of course Andy may not be willing to give his formula to a rival.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by JagAlb
The best doctor however is ourselves, how we enter and exit, how we protect the seats from scratches mainly created by how the seat is loaded... :-)

I have my Range Rover Sport, 7 years now, 70 thousand km, without a scratch in the seats because it was well treated at entry-exits. Nothing else

You're absolutely right. Just don't plunk down in the seat. I bought my car used so that was something I wanted to fix. Now that its repaired, I am pretty particular about how I enter and exit the car. The previous owner wasn't. My '14 Fiesta has even bigger bolsters and they are as good as new.

JagAlb (06-16-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 01:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

I asked Gliptone if they could contact Seat Doctors / Andy and obtain his recipe for the red seat colour, and this was their response:

"Unfortunately we are not in position to contact another company and ask for these details.
If you can obtain this information yourself and forward onto us we would be able to go by the formula as long as it's in 'ML'."

I have no idea what ML is, maybe someone here knows, if not I can always ask Gliptone to explain.
Of course Andy may not be willing to give his formula to a rival.
ml = milliliter