F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on the new F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 01:58 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thoughts on the new F-Type

From the moment that Jaguar released the news of the new F-Type ...i was hooked!! ...Its such a good looking car!!
Anyone thinking to move on from the XK and into an F-Type?? ..I am!
My only thoughts are that I'd prefer a hard top. Here in Dubai, although the climate would suggest a convertible would be suitable, the harsh sun seems to destroy soft tops. Regardless, I've never been hooked to convertibles anyway.
Word on the street is that a hard top is coming ...so i'm patiently waiting ;-)
However, I have not heard what the future holds for the XK?
Any Thoughts?

Old 11-29-2012, 02:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

I don't think I could pull off a convertible so I would go for a hard top as well. The next XK is supposedly going to be bigger, better and faster though so I would probably go for one of those, subject to styling.

Deep Dive: Jaguar's Future Model Lineup - Rumor Central

The following 2 users liked this post by u102768:
Bruce H. (11-29-2012), Miami XKR (01-02-2013)
Old 11-29-2012, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

I was very excited about the C-X16 concept's coupe styling and hybrid power that included electrics on the front wheels and a "push to pass" button. The latter would have moved the technological ball forward and provided incredible acceleration and improved fuel economy, all wrapped in a trim and sexy body. I was disappointed when the F-Type plans dropped the hybrid feature. What it will be then is simply a smaller and more sporty car than the current XK, and only a tiny bit quicker.

Since I have an XKR now that performs great on the street and race track, and like the GT styling, the F-Type really doesn't offer me anything compelling. I plan to trade mine in a couple of years, and I'll consider the new XK and further developed F-Type, but a car with 4 driven wheels and state-of-the-propulsion to improve performance will top my list of desired features.

I think the F-Type will be hugely successful for Jaguar, and buyers next year will be able to easily choose between the new F-Type and radically different new XK.

Bruce

Old 11-29-2012, 10:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From what i've been reading Tata is banking on the F type being a big success like they found the Range Rover Evoque to be for them. Hope they are!

Old 11-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

My hunch is that Jag wants the F-type to give the 911 and Cayman buyers a run for the money. They want this to be a track king alternate. For sure there's room to usurp Porsche or at least steal some of their thunder.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:24 PM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Jaguar is calling the F-Type their true sports car. According to Andy Gross of Jaguar at the LA Autoshow 2012, he says,"F-Type is a full size, full blooded sports car". With the V8S having 495HP and 0-60MPH at 4.2 sec. Most likely these numbers are conservative as the 4.2L XKR has been clocked at 4.2-4.3sec to 0-60MPH. F-Type also has a lot to live up too as it's predecessor were the C,D and E-Type but I'm sure sales will do well. I'm with Bruce (although I don't have the 5.0L) I don't see the F-Type offering anything that would make me want to trade in the XKR for one. Still holding out for the 2014 911 Tri-Turbo or 2015 R8.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

"True sports car" is surely a marketing term intended to spark interest and ignite profit...but does it really mean anything? Austin Heallys and Bug Eye Sprites, Triumph TR4's, 6's and Spitfires, MG Midgits and MGB's, Ferrari Dino, Maserati Muira and the XKE and Corvette were good examples of what was considered a proper sports car in the 60's. The Datsun 240Z then came along as most of the others were disappearing, and partly because of it I think, and was as much a sports car as the others.

They weren't defined by engine size, or by performance which varied widely. Although at least most of the British cars were smallish, none were large. They were generally sparcely equipped with creature comforts such as air conditioning and power accessories considered unnecessary and unwanted. About the only thing these cars had in common was that they were fun to drive for mostly just two people. Manual gearbox almost exclusively, but back then a lot of sedans were manual also.

The sports car almost disappeared for about 15 years until the Fiat X19, Pontiac Fiero and Toyota MR2 were introduced in the mid-80's. The NSX and Miata followed, along with several other models, and most were jammed with every available creature comfort known to man, and more recently with autos with paddle shifters and often a small storage area in the back that sometimes looks like a pretend seat. Now none of these cars share much if anything with the 2 seater XKE or 2+2 XKE from the 60's, and you'd be hard pressed to make the case that the F-Type is any more the true sports car successor to the XKE than the current XK/XKR.

So while the marketing types at JLR are excited to announce the F-Type as the first true sports car since the legendary E-Type, and the automotive journalists will be glad to splash that epic news on the cover of the magazines, there really isn't much substance in the claim, but it will surely be fun to drive...the true sports car trait it shares with the XK

Bruce

Old 11-29-2012, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

If they could just offer a manual transmission in the US, I think they would open up a lot of opportunities. I know a lot of people clamor for manual options, and sales just don't support that, but still--if they want to gain a serious performance reputation against the likes of Porsche, a manual option is a necessity.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

I went to see the F type at a preview earlier this week. Although it was mobbed and I didn't get to sit in it, I can tell you that it is sized right and sounds correctly to be defined as a 2010+ sports car, which admittedly is a far cry from what was deemed a sports car in the 50's and 60's. The workmanship and styling looks to be superb and the lines flow beautifully to a distinctive back end. The only downside thing I could see is the ugly bar across the grille.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 911 owner knows of the pedigree of the Porsche. A racing heritage, great track car and an iconic brand. I've owned several of them, did DE's and club raced. If you mention
a Jaguar to an enthusiast they think high end luxury vehicle. I don't think the F-type will get prospective owners purchasing it thinking about track days. There may be a few, but I don't think most Jag owners are thinking track car. I'm not sure who the prospective buyers will be. Maybe Porsche Boxtser owners? Fun car for the wife?

Like mentioned above I don't think XK owners will jump to it. Hope it as successful as Tata wants it to be! Given the high price point it won't muddy the waters of the brand like BMW and Merc have done with offering inexpensive versions of their brands.

Last edited by chakka; 11-30-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

I can't wait to read the reviews since so much of the forum fanboy's go by what R&T, C&D, etc say. It's going to take a while for the F-type to make its mark and perhaps even longer for non-Jaguar types to warm up to the idea that there's a sportscar made in Europe that is not from Germany and does not cost a banker's mint.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
"True sports car" is surely a marketing term intended to spark interest and ignite profit...but does it really mean anything? ...
Bruce
Bruce,

Based on my experience a long time ago with my first car, a 1955 MG TF1500, I concluded that "a sport's car" referred to the driver and not the vehicle. I had to be a good sport to put up with:
1. bolt-on side curtains that never kept any water out when it rained; (no matter, as I always wore a raincoat)
2. a heater that that couldn't keep the car warm, but burned my right leg
3. twin SU sidedraft carburetors that required weekly adjustment
4. a 4-speed transmission with a non-synchronized first gear that on a good day would get to 15 mph going downhill;
5. Lucas electrics that I could rely on to break down every 30 days or 1500 miles, whichever came first;
6. parts that were readily available only in England. (It took 4 months to get an electric fuel pump.)
7. a shift lever that always got in the way since there was no back seat!

Times sure have changed! My XKR, by comparison, is totally the opposite - comfortable, reliable, rolling sculpture, and a joy to drive.

The new F-Type has none of the attributes to make it a "sport's" car; you don't have to be a good sport to put up with it; it doesn't have any negative attributes and appears to be a great continuation of the Jaguar lineage. It looks great in pictures, and I can't wait to see it at my dealer. But, like you and Ghostrider, I like my XKR too much to trade it for an F-Type now.

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 11-30-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Sports car = F-Type
GT = New larger XK.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member

Stuart,

I think your definition is as credible as any other I've seen, and pretty accurate regardless! A few weeks ago I rode in a neighbor's early 50's MG and it was quite the experience. On the way back he asked if I wanted to drive it and I politely declined. He was preparing to take it on an MG club day country drive but I'd be afraid to drive it more than 5 minutes in any direction from my house!

Bruce

Old 12-01-2012, 07:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
I posted some thoughts from my local Jag dealer some while back on the future of the XK. The F- Type to take over from the XK, and the XK to go more up market. The XK would then be in the same bracket as say Astons, or Porche Carrera etc. He also mentioned a Jag version crossover in a year or two, possibly based on the Evoque, and another 4 x 4 Jag based on Range Rover. Food for thought????

Old 12-01-2012, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scousegeezer
He also mentioned a Jag version crossover in a year or two, possibly based on the Evoque, and another 4 x 4 Jag based on Range Rover. Food for thought????
Jaguar SUV or crossover is a real bad idea. Why compete with Land Rover since most dealers are selling both marques and the construction DNA will be identical? Sell more Land Rovers and keep a Jag a Jag. I hope the F Type does not veer off from what a Jag drives like; they better nail the steering and throttle response.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
I went to see the F type at a preview earlier this week. Although it was mobbed and I didn't get to sit in it, I can tell you that it is sized right and sounds correctly to be defined as a 2010+ sports car, which admittedly is a far cry from what was deemed a sports car in the 50's and 60's. The workmanship and styling looks to be superb and the lines flow beautifully to a distinctive back end. The only downside thing I could see is the ugly bar across the grille.
I was able to make it to the same event and found the car to look and sound great in person. Got a chance to sit in it briefly, felt well laid out and comfortable.

Possibly better than that, managed to meet Ian Callum, shake his hand, and thank him for his work and our car.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Jaguar SUV or crossover is a real bad idea. Why compete with Land Rover since most dealers are selling both marques and the construction DNA will be identical?
It may be true for the States, but in England, an SUV or similar would allow Jaguar dealers to sell more cars. After all there is an Audi version of the VW Tuareg. Jaguar are out on a limb in not offering an SUV.

The UK Autocar magazine has an article on Jaguar model plans this week, and an SUV is planned as is a smaller Jaguar to compete in the BMW 3 Series market. This is a huge market in Europe, maybe less so in the USA. The X-type did not manage to make a huge dent in this market, probably because of the very conservative styling.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:57 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

XK in Dubai,

I'm with you. Till I can peruse the coupe, I'm going to wait it out. I used to love convertibles, but lately (especially with the XKR) found myself heavily in favor of the sleek lines and more rigid/quiet frame.

Any rumors of if/when the coupe will arrive on the scene?

Best,

Skeeter

Old 12-03-2012, 12:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Skeeter
If I remember correctly my source told me about this time next year?
I am somewhat surprised that they first introduced the F-Type as a hard top but released it as a soft top. I would have though that the demand for such a car would have favored a hard top.
Maybe its for the old grey hair guys going through there 2nd mid-life crisis that want to feel the wind in their hair!?! LOL!! ;-)
..and maybe I'll change my tune when I am one of these guys ...but until then, I want a hard top!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new F-Type