Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire & Wheel Protection

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Sooo...how many of you, who can afford to drop cash for a new car, decided to forego comprehensive and collision insurance? I'm willing to pay a premium (double entendre intended) to limit my losses.
I purchase insurance for any potential loss that I can't (or don't want to) easily afford. My F type gets comprehensive and collision, my motorcycles, camper, etc. do not. I also don't buy extended warranties on my TV, electronics, computers, printers etc. House? ....it's insured ;-)

As far as the tire/rim thing on the F Type; I calculate the risk to be relatively minor and the cost to be something I can deal with; I would likely buy one used rim, repair the rim or buy a complete set of aftermarket wheels before I'd drop the coin for a new OEM wheel from the dealer.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer as everyone has a different risk comfort level......but it's worthwhile (IMO) to point out that these things usually don't pay off if you do the math.....they can't for obvious reasons.

2 cents.
Dave

Old 07-11-2018, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Sooo...how many of you, who can afford to drop cash for a new car, decided to forego comprehensive and collision insurance? I'm willing to pay a premium (double entendre intended) to limit my losses.
The answer is right in front of us.
If tire and rim was remotely a risk- the bank would force you to get that coverage.

In some cases the peace of mind is keeping money in someone else's nest, in other cases its better off in your nest.
Kinda like Medical ins and Dental ins (which in practice does not exists)

Old 07-11-2018, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

I like having the insurance. To date: $1300 premium cost... $1850 in covered damages plus 2 more curb rashed wheels to repair, 2 years left on the policy. 20 inch wheels in the mid-Atlantic region: high risk.

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (07-11-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 08:45 PM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Finally got the Tire and Wheel Insurance agreement, it is offered by Jaguar but appears that United Service Protection Corp is the one I'd deal with per the agreement.

I was reading it over and noticed a few things on the exclusion

1. Cost or expenses on any aftermarket tire(s)/wheels

I assume this mean if I replace the Pirelli tires with Michelin tires the Michelin tires are not covered? The same applies for winter tire(s)/wheels? Looking at the agreement they define aftermarket tire(s)/wheel(s) as "Tire(s)/Wheel(S) that do not meet the original OEM approved specification for the covered vehicle, including tire(s)/wheel(s) not mounted on the vehicle at the time of sale of this agreement.

I also noticed another exclusion

2. For Damage caused by any of the following: Any cause whatsoever, except a covered road hazard, including, but not limited to accident; abuse; neglect; driver error; structural damage of the wheel due to curb damange....

So curb rash is excluded as well? It seems that's a common reason to utilize the insurance?

Are these exclusion common for tire/wheel? Any experience in dealing with post Pirelli tires and damage? Winter wheels/tires?

Old 09-12-2018, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Pie944
Finally got the Tire and Wheel Insurance agreement, it is offered by Jaguar but appears that United Service Protection Corp is the one I'd deal with per the agreement.

I was reading it over and noticed a few things on the exclusion

1. Cost or expenses on any aftermarket tire(s)/wheels

I assume this mean if I replace the Pirelli tires with Michelin tires the Michelin tires are not covered? The same applies for winter tire(s)/wheels? Looking at the agreement they define aftermarket tire(s)/wheel(s) as "Tire(s)/Wheel(S) that do not meet the original OEM approved specification for the covered vehicle, including tire(s)/wheel(s) not mounted on the vehicle at the time of sale of this agreement.

I also noticed another exclusion

2. For Damage caused by any of the following: Any cause whatsoever, except a covered road hazard, including, but not limited to accident; abuse; neglect; driver error; structural damage of the wheel due to curb damange....

So curb rash is excluded as well? It seems that's a common reason to utilize the insurance?

Are these exclusion common for tire/wheel? Any experience in dealing with post Pirelli tires and damage? Winter wheels/tires?
I have coverage through RoadVantage. They have covered 2 Michelin’s, structural wheel failure and curb rash. The policy also covers aftermarket wheels, key loss and door dings. The claims to date have already exceeded the $1500 one time premium (5 years of coverage). Roads in the Balto./DC area are real crappy.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:28 PM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RIRR
Not trying to hijack the thread, but this started me thinking about door dings. I seem to recall reading that an aluminum body panel doesn't have a "memory" of its original shape (as a steel panel does), so it doesn't "want" to pop back with a little encouragement. Makes me wonder how effective the paintless ding repair tech would be in fixing a ding on an F-type.
I'm curious about this as well. How successful is paintless dent repair on an aluminum panel?

Old 09-15-2018, 09:32 AM
WJV
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul champagne
I'm curious about this as well. How successful is paintless dent repair on an aluminum panel?
Also curious. Who here has had success in PDR work on their F-Type? I don’t need it yet, but I’m sure there will come a time...

Old 09-15-2018, 10:23 AM
Received 177 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by WJV

Also curious. Who here has had success in PDR work on their F-Type? I don’t need it yet, but I’m sure there will come a time...
FWIW: not on FType, but did on my 2000 XKR and it worked fine. Not sure if aluminum (or aluminium) alloy on FType is still same as for 2000 XKR.

Old 09-15-2018, 01:40 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

2000 XKR would be steel-bodied, the 2006-on XKs were alumin(i)um.

The following users liked this post:
Greggbhill (09-15-2018)