Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire & Wheel Protection

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 08:21 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tire & Wheel Protection

Hi,

For my new 2019 F-Type with 18" wheels my dealer is suggesting that I purchase "Tire & Wheel Protection" for $1475:
  • it lasts 5 years
  • 12,000 miles per year (19,000? kilometers)
  • no deductible
  • no replacement cost limits
  • does not cover wear and tear

It covers:
  • repair/replacement of damaged tires due to road hazard
  • repair/replacement of damaged wheels due to road hazard
  • mounting, balancing, valve stems and taxes are included
  • includes cosmetic wheel coverage

The dealer said that a replacement F-Type 18" wheel costs $1100. He has a customer that replaced 4 wheels in the same year.

In western NY, USA, we have pot holes which are not friendly to tires and wheels. The dealer has my wife scared about tire/wheel damage. My thought is that this is a money maker for the dealer.

For our current cars we have replaced one tire due to road hazard and not had any wheel damage.
I did a google search for "jaguar f-type oem wheel". It turned up wheels in the $500 price range, though they dot match the official wheel. At the other extreme, InCurveWheels said a set of 4, with a discount and not counting the finish would cost $5000.

Question #1: Is $1100 a typical price for a matching replacement 18" wheel?

Question #2: how often have you folks, especially in snow country, had to replace wheels/tires?

Thanks,
Bill

Old 07-07-2018, 10:20 AM
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Like most insurance policies, you’re betting you’ll have an accident and they’re betting you won’t...or they’re betting the majority won’t have an issue. I’m in western PA, so I know what you mean about grater pot holes. I don’t drive any of my “toy” cars in the fowl weather and try to be careful on pot holed roads. This is the kiss of death, but I’ve never had a problem requiring a new tire or wheel. To me, it’s worth the gamble, if you drive carefully whe exposed to these conditions. When I bought my ‘018 type R, the dealer pitched the same message...I denied it. Good luck!!

Old 07-07-2018, 10:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wheels and tires

I noticed that you are also looking for possible wheels for snow tires. I have 18" Vela wheels and tires, with only 800 miles on them. They are flawless. After driving my car (2017 Premium) back from South Carolina, I replaced the wheels with 20" ones and tires. I am asking $1500 for the Wheels, tires, sensor's, and caps. I live nearby on Grand Island. You could kill 2 birds with 3 stones, by having an extra set of wheels for your snow tires, and an extra set of summer tires, for only $25 more than the insurance.

Last edited by Dr No; 07-07-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Ask yourself 'why is someone else offering to assume your bad luck and liability?'.
Would you assume other's liabilities.
The answer is the have calculated both, the odds being none and how to get out of paying out.
Of that $1500, dealer will get a $1000.
Think about it the risk is so low and rewarding that they can afford to give 60-75% to the salesman.

Insure it yourself, if you bend a rim, or even 4 you will still not pay $500 to straighten them out- tire insurance is free when you buy tires, which you can do with the other $1000 in your pocket.
Dont think they will give you a brand new rim from the dealer if you bend it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
DPelletier (07-09-2018), SinF (07-08-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 10:32 AM
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Like most insurance policies, you’re betting you’ll have an accident and they’re betting you won’t...or they’re betting the majority won’t have an issue. I’m in western PA, so I know what you mean about grater pot holes. I don’t drive any of my “toy” cars in the foul weather and try to be careful on pot holed roads. This is the kiss of death, but I’ve never had a problem requiring a new tire or wheel. To me, it’s worth the gamble, if you drive carefully whe exposed to these conditions. When I bought my ‘018 type R, the dealer pitched the same message...I denied it. Good luck!!

Old 07-07-2018, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

I paid about the same price for the same coverage. For me, it’s already paid for itself with potholes and construction debris on the highway as well as curb rash in-town. Fortunately, I haven’t had to utilize the door ding portion of the coverage yet.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:05 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

As someone who's been in the insurance business for 35+ years just realize when you buy an ancillary coverage like this you will have just locked in a loss equal to the cost of the coverage. If you need it great, but wheel repair for curb rash and other minor damage is only about $200 a wheel.

Trending Topics

Old 07-07-2018, 12:29 PM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I also purchased for a similar price. The car will
be a daily driver almost year round in the Cleveland area which is filled with pot holes, etc. I know 911 owners in the area who paid a similar price and easily
got their money worth. I think cost/benefit would be highly dependent on the quality of roads and the frequency the car is driven.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:20 PM
Received 81 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Pie944
I also purchased for a similar price. The car will
be a daily driver almost year round in the Cleveland area which is filled with pot holes, etc. I know 911 owners in the area who paid a similar price and easily
got their money worth. I think cost/benefit would be highly dependent on the quality of roads and the frequency the car is driven.

+1

Old 07-07-2018, 01:30 PM
Received 81 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I paid about the same price for the same coverage. For me, it’s already paid for itself with potholes and construction debris on the highway as well as curb rash in-town. Fortunately, I haven’t had to utilize the door ding portion of the coverage yet.
Not trying to hijack the thread, but this started me thinking about door dings. I seem to recall reading that an aluminum body panel doesn't have a "memory" of its original shape (as a steel panel does), so it doesn't "want" to pop back with a little encouragement. Makes me wonder how effective the paintless ding repair tech would be in fixing a ding on an F-type.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:31 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

“The dealer has my wife scared.......”
That says it all. I would not do business with a dealer whose sales techniques include scaring my wife. An honest dealer will always offer the package while knowing it makes little if any economic sense. Insurance is for catastrophic losses and peace of mind.

Old 07-07-2018, 02:17 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

I bought a $200 (bargained down from $500) tire only (no wheels) 5 year coverage for my '14 Vette yrs ago.

I had a large bolt in my rear 20" Michellin run-flat, limped back to dealer, an hour later, they replaced with a brand new one. $500 bill, I was charged $0.

So tire only was worth it for me...

Old 07-07-2018, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by El Gato
As someone who's been in the insurance business for 35+ years just realize when you buy an ancillary coverage like this you will have just locked in a loss equal to the cost of the coverage. If you need it great, but wheel repair for curb rash and other minor damage is only about $200 a wheel.
That is true, but in 3 years I have had 3 road rash repairs, 2 tire replacements and one full wheel replacement. I-95 up and down the east coast is treacherous. Depending on location, the premium can be worth every penny.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Do you intend to drive the car year round? Is it awd?

I can relate to the condition of roads in western ny. I only drive my car in summer, so it is easier to dodge potholes. This is my third summer (12k total miles) and I have one wheel that has curb rash needing repair ($200-250). I have cringed hitting a few potholes that I didn't see. If I bent or broke a rim I'd likely buy new aftermarket wheels and Michelin tires and put the insurance money towards that. My p zeros will likely only last this summer and I will look at tire insurance as I'd likely have to replace more than one tire if one bites the dust with the awd. Not sure if tire insurance covers awd tire issues. I've only had no flat tires on this car or my XF SC (rwd, 4 year round years of driving) or more years, so despite the crappy roads luck has been with me.

Just an FYI, my dealer just to the east of Williamsville didn't try to sell me any of that. Did you buy in Williamsville?

Busted wheel, flat tire is opportunity to upgrade. Weigh the factors and make your best guess. @ Unhinged, how many miles have you put on your car?

Last edited by jaguny; 07-08-2018 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

F-type tires in upper trims (i.e. 19 inch rims and bigger) are too low profile to adequately protect from potholes. If roads in your area are bad, then get this. However, don't pay dealership for this - they mark it up substantially. You can easily get the same coverage at half the cost if you simply bypass them.

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (07-08-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguny
Do you intend to drive the car year round? Is it awd?

I can relate to the condition of roads in western ny. I only drive my car in summer, so it is easier to dodge potholes. This is my third summer (12k total miles) and I have one wheel that has curb rash needing repair ($200-250). I have cringed hitting a few potholes that I didn't see. If I bent or broke a rim I'd likely buy new aftermarket wheels and Michelin tires and put the insurance money towards that. My p zeros will likely only last this summer and I will look at tire insurance as I'd likely have to replace more than one tire if one bites the dust with the awd. Not sure if tire insurance covers awd tire issues. I've only had no flat tires on this car or my XF SC (rwd, 4 year round years of driving) or more years, so despite the crappy roads luck has been with me.

Just an FYI, my dealer just to the east of Williamsville didn't try to sell me any of that. Did you buy in Williamsville?

Busted wheel, flat tire is opportunity to upgrade. Weigh the factors and make your best guess. @ Unhinged, how many miles have you put on your car?
24000 miles. Around here I have to pay too much attention to other traffic to be able to be perfectly vigilant for road hazards.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

I can testify to the scam/sham of protection being sold for half the price in one place vs the other- which underscores its more of a scammy nature.

I had to buy a very large 85" $5000 tv from Ebay (cause it could not be purchased locally- and think of the tax savings)
They sold insurance called "Square Trade".
I was able to buy that same insurance for 1/3rd of the price from Costco to be used for this TV purchased on ebay.

Old 07-08-2018, 01:46 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Any recommendation on where/who/which reputable dealer/company to buy this coverage from, if not from orig dealer?

Old 07-08-2018, 03:59 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,065 Likes on 1,370 Posts

You might see if the dealer can deal on the price. When I bought my XE, they offered me a Simonize coating I didn’t want for something like $1200-1500. When I said I wasn’t interested, they said “how about $895?” (Still wasn’t interested.)

Old 07-08-2018, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
When I bought my XE, they offered me a Simonize coating I didn’t want for something like $1200-1500. When I said I wasn’t interested, they said “how about $895?” (Still wasn’t interested.)

They now sell it for $22 on ebay- its rubbish for the most part and a child can apply it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/One-SIMONIZ...0AAOSwtg9bNPKe

Quick Reply: Tire & Wheel Protection