Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires according to Car and Driver

Old 09-14-2016, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts
Default Tires according to Car and Driver

Lapping Cars

Interestingly, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 ZP showing up maximum grip in a large number of circumstances. Could this be a legitimate challenger to Michelin Pilot Super Sport?

Also, Project 7 lap times are really underwhelming - "driving on ice" and 71st in ranking, right around M2...

I can't say I fundamentally disagree with the review as flawed. While even with V6S I have problems getting on power in lower gears, MPSS corrected a lot of track-related handling problems on my car.

Still, I think reviewers didn't get the joy of F-type handling. If anything, it is conceptual opposite of Miata. I personally find any car that understeer boring and/or dangerous at the limit. Maybe this is because I am not good enough to properly utilize weight transfer with trailbraking, but I'd rather fight for grip in the back than fight not to plow through corners.

Last edited by SinF; 09-14-2016 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:53 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

Cup tires are basically an R compound track tire that is still technically a street tire ... It's not in the same category as the super sport.

The following 3 users liked this post by ShaunPA:
Foosh (09-14-2016), Schwabe (09-19-2016), SinF (09-15-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

+1 to what he said above.

In terms of grip, the Pilot Sport Cup tires are significantly better than the PSS. But they should be, because they are R compound (R for racing) tires. You'd be lucky to get 6K miles out of them on the street and probably only 1K on the track, if that.

The PSS is a street tire. The Cups are also way more expensive.

The following users liked this post:
Schwabe (09-19-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

+2. If I need a track tire that only has to last a few weekends (and still be DOT approved to get to the track), the PSC will be my choice. For regular street use, the PSS choice is the best traction vs wear compromise.

Last edited by Unhingd; 09-14-2016 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Lapping Cars

Also, Project 7 lap times are really underwhelming - "driving on ice" and 71st in ranking, right around M2...

I can't say I fundamentally disagree with the review as flawed. While even with V6S I have problems getting on power in lower gears, MPSS corrected a lot of track-related handling problems on my car.

Still, I think reviewers didn't get the joy of F-type handling. If anything, it is conceptual opposite of Miata. I personally find any car that understeer boring and/or dangerous at the limit. Maybe this is because I am not good enough to properly utilize weight transfer with trailbraking, but I'd rather fight for grip in the back than fight not to plow through corners.
Agreed. People are all over the place with the P7 reviews specifically and the F type in general.....there is a real "love it or hate it" mentality it seems.

As far as capability goes, obviously the F type was never designed as a track car and there are certainly many faster cars for that.....some are even cheaper (cough, Foosh, cough!) . Despite the typical comments about oversteer, the P7 is still 4 seconds faster around Nurburgring than the AWD R.....maybe the SVR will be able to catch it or get close, we'll see.
Watch - Jaguar Project 7 video and review | Evo

2014 Jaguar F-Type V6S Coupe vs F-Type R Coupe Review - GTspirit

Cheers,
Dave

Old 09-15-2016, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

The Cup tires are awesome tires, but in heavy rain they get a bit scary on a highway with traffic. I may still give them a shot, as I rarely drive in rain but will probably just get the latest PSS to be safe as in Florida it's always about to rain.

I've stopped paying attention to reviews on the F Type, writers still seem to have the older Jaguars in mind. Besides those guys crash cars on a regular basis. The car does need more damping control over ~120MPH as the dampers feel way to fast and make the car feel very twitchy as it rolls way to mcuh especially at higher speeds.

Keep in mind the Stig who is normally an active or retired Pro driver drove a '15 R to the same lap time as an Audi V8R10. It's a handful but the with the amount of vertical rocking is way to much for a car this powerful.

Still-employed Stig laps Jag F-type R on Top Gear track

Old 09-15-2016, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member

In the above vein, one of the things that makes the C7 so remarkably stable is the Magnetic Selective Ride Control System (MSRC). There is a reason that Ferrari and other high performance marques have paid GM a hefty licensing fee to use in on their vehicles. It makes constant adjustments based upon the road surface and G-loads in micro-seconds.

It's also instantly adjustable with a dial on the console, and can deliver a soft touring ride, a medium sport setting, or a very stiff track mode. No complex menus are involved to make a change, it's just an instant twist of the dial while you're in motion.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

That's exactly what I wish we had with the F Type, it would make all the difference in the world.

The vMax mode does stiffen the dampers and steering, so I wonder if Jaguar can just dial in more aggressive damper settings electronically. Just give us more settings, I know the dampers get stiffer as they were the basis for my XKR's coil overs. That's a much harder car to control and the stock dampers had zero rebound control in any mode.

I'm working with Spires on a set for the SVR, as they have some good connections at Jaguar and worked magic on the XKR suspension.

Some more aggressive damper modes will make all of these tires work so much better. Compare a pro driver in a R8, Corvette, or Turbo S and you see much more controlled movement.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:24 PM
Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Front page coverage

Figured the front page would be into this too...
2016 Jaguar F-type Project 7 Takes on World's Elite in Car and Driver's Lighting Lap - JaguarForums

The following users liked this post:
MaximA (09-15-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member

Nice video, that is what I wanted to see the article is to vague.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaunPA
Cup tires are basically an R compound track tire that is still technically a street tire.
Didn't realize that. Never mind then.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MaximA
Nice video, that is what I wanted to see the article is to vague.
The sad thing is that the base C7 posted a time nearly 10 seconds faster than the Project 7 on the same track @ about $100K cheaper, and w/ 100 less HP.

I absolutely loved my F-Type, so I'm not trying to be snarky here. It just makes me sad that Jaguar won't build a competitive street/track car. I didn't say can't because I suspect they could if they decided it was a priority.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:22 AM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

"The daddy of the range is the Jaguar F-Type R Coupe. This is where the Roadster range differs from the new Coupe. Jaguar’s excellent 5.0 litre supercharged V8 makes is again the engine of choice for the range-topping Coupe. Whereas the Roadster is limited to just 490 hp, the Coupe shares its power rating with the R-S range meaning 550 hp, 0 to 60 mph times of just 4.0 seconds and an electronically limited top speed of 186 mph. Jaguar also announced that the F-Type R Coupe set a 7 minute 39 second lap time at the Nurburgring."

Since when is the R Roadster limited to 490 BHP? Did they just make this up or was there a strange config at one time?

-------------------------------------

"All three models remain limited to 4,000 rpm at a standstill meaning you can’t rev it up at the traffic lights to impress the casual bypassed."

And that, I did not know! Never tried, since I'd need to select Neutral first....

Last edited by amr42; 09-16-2016 at 07:24 AM.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Originally Posted by amr42
Since when is the R Roadster limited to 490 BHP? Did they just make this up or was there a strange config at one time?....

In 2014-15, the V8 roadster was only available as a 495 hp V8S, not as an R.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amr42

"The daddy of the range is the Jaguar F-Type R Coupe. This is where the Roadster range differs from the new Coupe. Jaguar’s excellent 5.0 litre supercharged V8 makes is again the engine of choice for the range-topping Coupe. Whereas the Roadster is limited to just 490 hp, the Coupe shares its power rating with the R-S range meaning 550 hp, 0 to 60 mph times of just 4.0 seconds and an electronically limited top speed of 186 mph. Jaguar also announced that the F-Type R Coupe set a 7 minute 39 second lap time at the Nurburgring."

Since when is the R Roadster limited to 490 BHP? Did they just make this up or was there a strange config at one time?

-------------------------------------

"All three models remain limited to 4,000 rpm at a standstill meaning you can’t rev it up at the traffic lights to impress the casual bypassed."

And that, I did not know! Never tried, since I'd need to select Neutral first....
Yep, as Unhinged said; that's an excerpt from when the R coupe was first released in 550PS form and the 'vert was still held over at 495ps . The whole V8S hp thing is a confusing mess anyhow; you'll read 495PS, 495HP, 488HP, etc. etc. even though it runs 510PS software....though this is the first and only time i've seen 490hp.....they probably guessed that the 495PS = 488HP and rounded it up to 490HP...

Dave

Last edited by DPelletier; 09-16-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier

As far as capability goes, obviously the F type was never designed as a track car and there are certainly many faster cars for that.....some are even cheaper (cough, Foosh, cough!) . Despite the typical comments about oversteer, the P7 is still 4 seconds faster around Nurburgring than the AWD R.....maybe the SVR will be able to catch it or get close, we'll see.
Watch - Jaguar Project 7 video and review | Evo

2014 Jaguar F-Type V6S Coupe vs F-Type R Coupe Review - GTspirit

Cheers,
Dave
4 sec in laptime difference at Nurburgring (almost 21 km) is just a coincident. In real world that is equal time. Anything minor (and not noticable) can happen on a lap here that will result in way larger differences. It can not be compared to a standard race circuit.

Old 09-16-2016, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Arne
4 sec in laptime difference at Nurburgring (almost 21 km) is just a coincident. In real world that is equal time. Anything minor (and not noticable) can happen on a lap here that will result in way larger differences. It can not be compared to a standard race circuit.
Perhaps. My point is only that Jaguar claims to have tested both cars on that track and that the P7 is faster.

Dave

Old 09-17-2016, 03:17 AM
Veteran Member

Perhaps. My point is only that Jaguar claims to have tested both cars on that track and that the P7 is faster.

Dave
Car and Driver tested the rwd and the P7 and found the rwd R to be faster than the P7.

Jaguar F-type Project 7 at Lightning Lap 2016 ? Feature ? Car and Driver

So my point is that I don't think there is much difference between any of them - at least not when conditions are good.

Some tracks might benefit one over the others, and some drivers will be faster in one than the others. They all have some pro and cons when compared.

Last edited by Arne; 09-17-2016 at 03:22 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Arne
Car and Driver tested the rwd and the P7 and found the rwd R to be faster than the P7.

Jaguar F-type Project 7 at Lightning Lap 2016 ? Feature ? Car and Driver

So my point is that I don't think there is much difference between any of them - at least not when conditions are good.

Some tracks might benefit one over the others, and some drivers will be faster in one than the others. They all have some pro and cons when compared.
I agree; there isn't much difference in ANY of the V8 f-types IMO. ....which makes sense seeing as how they are all almost identical. ;-)

That said, on identical tracks, at the same time with the same driver (who knows what they're doing) the P7 should be fastest regardless of what C&D says....especially a RWD R as the P7 is simply a bit better.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 09-18-2016, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

I agree; there isn't much difference in ANY of the V8 f-types IMO. ....which makes sense seeing as how they are all almost identical. ;-)

That said, on identical tracks, at the same time with the same driver (who knows what they're doing) the P7 should be fastest regardless of what C&D says....especially a RWD R as the P7 is simply a bit better.

Cheers,
Dave
Can't argue with that 😉

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tires according to Car and Driver