F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two Oddities with the F-Type

Old 11-04-2017, 03:38 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Two Oddities with the F-Type

1. Speedo on the left/Tach on the right - Don't recall ever seeing it this way
  2. On the AT, push forward to downshift/Pull backwards to upshift
I find both of these rather backwards. The second, to me, is just downright counterintuitive. Perhaps I would think otherwise if I lived on the other side of the pond. Is it just me?

Old 11-05-2017, 12:50 AM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by woodturner
  1. Speedo on the left/Tach on the right - Don't recall ever seeing it this way
  2. On the AT, push forward to downshift/Pull backwards to upshift
I find both of these rather backwards. The second, to me, is just downright counterintuitive. Perhaps I would think otherwise if I lived on the other side of the pond. Is it just me?
I believe it's much easier to pay attention to the revs while looking at the digital speedometer in the middle, rather than having the revs to the left. Maybe intentional for that reason. I can't ever recall using the speedo on the left

Old 11-05-2017, 02:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Holy F type
I can't ever recall using the speedo on the left
I can't ever recall using the F-Type speedo...period. I only use the digital display.

The following users liked this post:
Don1954 (11-07-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 03:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

I'm from Australia and I cant recall having a car (and I've owned maybe 15) with the speedo on the right!

With the shifter, I've had some (volvos) where you had to push it away from you to go 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 etc which I find unnatural. I thought that the f type the opposite which I find natural because it means that you are pulling it toward you to go from 1 - 2 which is how you would in a manual. But I barely use the shifter because it has paddles, I'd be much more inclined to use the shifter if it had gates like a true manual.

Old 11-05-2017, 04:09 AM
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Regarding the gearshift - a sequential gearbox in race cars is pull towards to shift up, and push away to shift down. Watch any video on youtube Jag has done it that way as it's how racing cars (and all other auto's I've driven) do it!

Old 11-05-2017, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member

Here's something I've been pondering for decades: the MT shift pattern remains the same whether right or left hand drive. When racing British cars, we would convert to right hand drive for that extra millisecond and I was never able to get used to the pull-toward-you-and-up 2nd to 3rd gear slams. I can understand why British Leyland wouldn't build two different gearboxes with opposite patterns, but why didn't they build them with a pattern most suited for right hand drive?

Old 11-05-2017, 08:50 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

+1 I only use the digital speedo, never the analogue.

The gearshift makes sense to me, when you are under hard acceleration you are pushed back in your seat and its more natural to pull back on the lever to change up a gear - similarly under hard braking you are pushed forward and therefore pushing forward to shift down is again more natural. Don't think I would like having it the other way round, forward for up and backward for down.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Here's something I've been pondering for decades: the MT shift pattern remains the same whether right or left hand drive. When racing British cars, we would convert to right hand drive for that extra millisecond and I was never able to get used to the pull-toward-you-and-up 2nd to 3rd gear slams. I can understand why British Leyland wouldn't build two different gearboxes with opposite patterns, but why didn't they build them with a pattern most suited for right hand drive?
As a right hand driver, every manual I've had has had 2nd to third (and 4th to fifth) up, toward you, and up though for practical purposes if the gates are night and tight the "toward you" part is only a tiny wiggle. I cant imagine driving a car where the upshifts involve pushing the stick away from you. Or changing gears with my right hand, for that matter.

Just what you are used to, I suppose.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail

Just what you are used to, I suppose.
That would certainly explain it.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:13 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
The gearshift makes sense to me, when you are under hard acceleration you are pushed back in your seat and its more natural to pull back on the lever to change up a gear - similarly under hard braking you are pushed forward and therefore pushing forward to shift down is again more natural. Don't think I would like having it the other way round, forward for up and backward for down.
^^^This is exactly what I was going to say.

The first week I purchased the car I immediately added extended paddle shifters, so I rarely ever use the center lever except to put the car into Sport+ at start up.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:28 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by FR500GT
^^^This is exactly what I was going to say.

The first week I purchased the car I immediately added extended paddle shifters, so I rarely ever use the center lever except to put the car into Sport+ at start up.
That's another good point, I always use the paddles, can't remember ever using the shift lever.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Hmm... manual shifters are generally sprung to favour lhd. Discuss...

Old 11-06-2017, 05:36 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I suppose it boils down to what you are used to. I had a 2013 Lexus GS 350 before my F-Type. When the shift lever was in 'manual', pushing it towards the front of the car moved it into the next higher gear. To me, that made sense. Forward = Faster. I got used to it (although I seldom used it) so the F-Type seems counterintuitive to me.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by F-typical
Hmm... manual shifters are generally sprung to favour lhd. Discuss...
On the F-Type it's sprung both ways to the center of the shift pattern to rest between 3 and 4.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:29 AM
Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

The Tach is much more important in a sportscar than the speedo, it is more in view that way. Also, if you paddle shift I find it more view-able at a glance, especially when considering a downshift
The Manual mode mode is the correct way, this is derived from the racing sequential mode. While everyone may have a preference, this is considered in general as the correct way

Old 11-08-2017, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

never noticed the tach being in a different spot. The shifter is backwards from most vehicles I've had but I like it better.....plus since I use the paddles anytime I'm shifting "manually" it doesn't really matter.

2 cents,
Dave