F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 OEM tune "upgrades"

Old 07-01-2017, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts
Default V6 OEM tune "upgrades"

I don't want to drag the JVIII engine thread off topic so I thought I'd start a new one. There's lots of discussion around tunes exceeding the basic engine design and or the OEM Jaguar settings so in this case I'm asking about the V6 engine only.

It's agreed I believe that the engines in the V6 Base and V6 "S" are one and the same ? How about the V6 in the new "400" ? If this is also the same but JLR have just found a few extra horses and torqs by changing the software, that would suggest to me they already know what the safety margins are and if so, 400HP wouldn't be at the limit.

Has anybody flashed a V6S OEM file onto the V6 base ? I'm sure the dealer wouldn't do it but those with their own SDD access ? Does doing that cause a Non OEM Calibration flag ? How about the "400" file ?

For those folks who don't desire every single pound of performance from their engine but would be happy with "next level" maybe this would be enough and let them sleep at night ;-)

Old 07-01-2017, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Originally Posted by stmcknig
I don't want to drag the JVIII engine thread off topic so I thought I'd start a new one. There's lots of discussion around tunes exceeding the basic engine design and or the OEM Jaguar settings so in this case I'm asking about the V6 engine only.

It's agreed I believe that the engines in the V6 Base and V6 "S" are one and the same ? How about the V6 in the new "400" ? If this is also the same but JLR have just found a few extra horses and torqs by changing the software, that would suggest to me they already know what the safety margins are and if so, 400HP wouldn't be at the limit.

Has anybody flashed a V6S OEM file onto the V6 base ? I'm sure the dealer wouldn't do it but those with their own SDD access ? Does doing that cause a Non OEM Calibration flag ? How about the "400" file ?

For those folks who don't desire every single pound of performance from their engine but would be happy with "next level" maybe this would be enough and let them sleep at night ;-)
Yes, the 400 is just a retune of the basic V6. Velocity AP can provide a V6S or a 400 tune for those with a base V6, but it is most likely that the retune will be detectable with the flash counter. (I sleep just fine at 450hp)

Old 07-01-2017, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Yes, the 400 is just a retune of the basic V6. Velocity AP can provide a V6S or a 400 tune for those with a base V6, but it is most likely that the retune will be detectable with the flash counter. (I sleep just fine at 450hp)
Me too.

So maybe the "should I risk a tune" falls into two camps - the V8 owners who want or need to towel wring everything they can and the V6 owners like myself who like a better value way of getting the engine performance that JLR offer if you pay for the higher trim spec but the same power plant.

My car has the comfort options I like; I actually prefer the lack of sills and don't miss the dynamic suspension or the LSD for my driving needs. I'm happy with blue ambient lighting as after spending time fiddling with my 14 way seats, I'm too exhausted to figure out what shade of ambient light I want ;-)

And I for one think Stuart and Chris at VAP have done a brilliant hack job in that respect </s>

Old 07-01-2017, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

I'm fortunate to have test driven both the V6S and the 400, while owning a base V6.

In my car, the engine starts to feel flat above 5k rpm.

In the V6S - noting it has shorter gearing so always feels more zippy - it feels like 5.5k.

The 400 didn't feel like it had a step, so maybe it's just that much closer to what the engine can actually do without dumping boost and/or preventing the throttle plate from opening fully.

Throttle to the kick-down detent in 3rd/4th for all three cases.

I'm still curious as to what the peak Torque figure would be if the ecu-imposed limitations weren't there (and - in the light of the thread discussing the Torque limitations of the transmission - how close the standard engine would get...)

Old 07-01-2017, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 409 Posts

You're not going to get a different OEM tune into these vehicles without tripping the code; same problem still applies.

Many V6 owners also want to get every ounce of power out of their engine too, they just happen to own a V6, so don't think we're some different breed who don't care about value.

Old 07-01-2017, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

???

Old 07-01-2017, 04:52 PM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Me too.

So maybe the "should I risk a tune" falls into two camps - the V8 owners who want or need to towel wring everything they can and the V6 owners like myself who like a better value way of getting the engine performance that JLR offer if you pay for the higher trim spec but the same power plant.

My car has the comfort options I like; I actually prefer the lack of sills and don't miss the dynamic suspension or the LSD for my driving needs. I'm happy with blue ambient lighting as after spending time fiddling with my 14 way seats, I'm too exhausted to figure out what shade of ambient light I want ;-)

And I for one think Stuart and Chris at VAP have done a brilliant hack job in that respect </s>
Having owned both a Base Coupe and now an R Coupe, I can tell you with certainty that there is a huge difference between the two cars that goes far beyond "value" as you put it.

Nor would I call Velocity's tunes a "hack job"... brilliant or not, that was a poor choice of words. They are professionals in every sense and have a dedicated, highly respected business of working on performance vehicles including Aston Martin racing. I wouldn't use the word "hack" in any sentence to describe them.

Last edited by MI-FType; 07-01-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:12 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

To be clear, if the term "hack job" is being referenced from the JVII thread - I was the one that said it, and have clarified this was not aimed at Velocity AP.

Rather I used it in reference to the less professional tuning outfits that exist out there.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MI-FType
Having owned both a Base Coupe and now an R Coupe, I can tell you with certainty that there is a huge difference between the two cars that goes far beyond "value" as you put it.

Nor would I call Velocity's tunes a "hack job"... brilliant or not, that was a poor choices of words. They are professionals in every sense and have a dedicated, highly respected business of working on performance vehicles including Aston Martin racing. I wouldn't use the word "hack" in any sentence to describe them.
You missed the </s> tag at the end, no reference to tuners living or dead was intended. I'd hardly impugn another Stuart ;-)

Value is a personal term. The performance I have with the V6 and VAP's expertise is good enough for me. If the Jaguar fairy visited me in the night and swapped my ride for a V8 would I be heartbroken ? No. Gift horse and mouth and all that. But is it worth it to me to spend a large wedge of cash to get the V8 over the V6 ? No. Maybe it would have a few years ago. But that takes us down the old well trodden path of many topics.

My TLDR was that as a V6 owner, I am less jumpy about unlocking some of the horses and torqs because Jaguar are already doing that with the S and 400 models. Arguably the same could be so of the R and the SVR.

If I have unintentionally upset VAP then I'll make them a nice pot of tea and we can have a nice slice of cake to make amends ;-)

Old 07-01-2017, 06:23 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
You're not going to get a different OEM tune into these vehicles without tripping the code; same problem still applies.
You can actually. Obviously a dealer is not going to do it for you.

And it requires some "back door" changes to the SDD, and to the tune files themselves to get around the differences between models and model years.

But it can be done, you might recall I flashed a few V8S with the R tune? I know of a few V6's done the same way with the V6S tune.

It's not a DIY job with a $50 eBay-spec SDD knockoff, but it can be done.

No flagging of the Non-OEM Calibration code, because it is seen as an OEM tune, flashed with the OEM diagnostic tool.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:32 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the point is many V8 owners, like myself, are in the exact same boat. The fact that JLR decided to "unlock" more performance from the same exact hardware in later model years says all I'm really asking for is what the manufacturer feels the true potential of the engine is. VAP was happy to provide 3 tunes for my car, an R, SVR, and their Stage 1 spec. I don't think it was necessary to preface each post with broad generalizations about owners based on what trim they purchased.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
It's not a DIY job with a $50 eBay-spec SDD knockoff, but it can be done.

No flagging of the Non-OEM Calibration code, because it is seen as an OEM tune, flashed with the OEM diagnostic tool.
Of course there are ways, there are ways to get a custom tune into the ECU as well without flagging the code, but none of us have access to that kind of technology to do so. This being an already existing OEM tune would of course be easier to do, but I don't know of anyone willing to do this in the states.

The following users liked this post:
Cambo (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 07:34 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Of course there are ways, there are ways to get a custom tune into the ECU as well without flagging the code, but none of us have access to that kind of technology to do so. This being an already existing OEM tune would of course be easier to do, but I don't know of anyone willing to do this in the states.
There are several forum members in the US who have the required hardware and software. It's possible to dial in and do it remotely using that equipment.

The world is a small place these days...

Old 07-01-2017, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pbad
I don't think it was necessary to preface each post with broad generalizations about owners based on what trim they purchased.
Sorry what broad generalizations ? My liberal use of the personal pronoun "I" was meant to make it clear I was only talking about my feelings about my own F-Type experience/requirements...if you have a different one I'm totally fine with that...

Old 07-01-2017, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry what broad generalizations ? My liberal use of the personal pronoun "I" was meant to make it clear I was only talking about my feelings about my own F-Type experience/requirements...if you have a different one I'm totally fine with that...
This:

I didn't appreciate that much either.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stohlen:
MI-FType (07-01-2017), pbad (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member

This:

I didn't appreciate that much either.
My bad it wasn't meant the way it got read.

I forgot (yeah I know, it must be one of those days) that the SVR was based on the V8 hardware.

In a number of other threads I got fed up with the assertion from the anti-modders that we were taking JLR engines into uncharted territory and deserved to have our warranty revoked when in fact JLR are happy to provide you with a warranty at that HP/torque if you are willing to pay for the trim level that goes with it. I get that applies to V8 owners too.

Anyway, enough posting and time for a large G&T.

Can we be friends again ?

Old 07-01-2017, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member

Can we be friends again ?
If you bring me a G&T

Old 07-02-2017, 01:46 AM
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Until I can justify some new tyres there would be no point in me getting any more power out of my V6S as it is already undriveable under any kind of power in any kind of bend with cool tyres. I live close to a motorway on ramp, and on a cool morning I break traction reversing up the driveway, putting it into forward gears and starting don the road, I fish tail at the lights on the corner turning into the main road, fishtail onto the freeway on ramp and then break traction with every gear change up to 120kph.

It's kind of fun if thats what you want but doesn't work if you want speed.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
Until I can justify some new tyres there would be no point in me getting any more power out of my V6S as it is already undriveable under any kind of power in any kind of bend with cool tyres. I live close to a motorway on ramp, and on a cool morning I break traction reversing up the driveway, putting it into forward gears and starting don the road, I fish tail at the lights on the corner turning into the main road, fishtail onto the freeway on ramp and then break traction with every gear change up to 120kph.

It's kind of fun if thats what you want but doesn't work if you want speed.
Ditch the Pirellis. I had Michelins on the car before it hit 15 miles.

The following users liked this post:
AnD3rew (07-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

If you bring me a G&T
Wait I didn't think you V8 types drank gin ;-)

Search this Thread