Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6-S dumping raw fuel

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by akc70
Go to utube and you see the Lambos catching on fire from the exhaust.
Most of these were revved the f*** out of them while not moving. Doing that is really not good for the car as crankshaft load and air circulation are important for proper operation.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by awjens
This is quite simple. A car left running for less than 5 minutes started a fire.
Obviously, this is not normal. However, going acrimonious right away with JLR is not going to make it easier to get this issue resolved amicably. You might end up spending unnecessary money on lawyers.

The following 2 users liked this post by SinF:
Don1954 (04-11-2018), mbelanger (04-11-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 02:37 PM
Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

This isn't a simple pull out the AAA card and get the car fixed. It was in a garage with the door open and it started a fire. The minute "Fire" came out in the discussion with JLR is when all the problems started. I would have taken it in that day had it been a simple CEL light. Their response and their line of questioning and repeatedly telling me the conversation was recorded was suspicious at best. I guarantee this is not the only vehicle that has see this problem. I am no idiot when it comes to cars and customer service representatives. I asked if anyone on this board had a similar problem. If you haven't and you don't care about the potential for your F-Type to catch on fire then move on. You don't have to read any further.

This is quite simple. A car left running for less than 5 minutes started a fire. I would ask everyone here who has tossed in a comment this simple question. How many cars have you had in your lifetime that started a fire while idling or even driving for that matter. Again a car with under 20k miles. I have never heard of it. Now put your wife in the car while your at work and she stops at a stop light or is driving down the freeway.
I don't think we all understand (maybe me). I definitely agree that I do not know what context or tone you received from the people on the phone. I would be careful with what you agree to on tape, yes. Esurance, Progressive, and Geico have all told me 4-8 times that I'm being recorded, sometimes when I make a simple change over the phone. I think you have ever right to be mad as would I - either an independent could help confirm details for you with some legal assistance, or you could attempt to communicate with JLR to resolve the problem. Neither may end up with a perfect result that you want, but maybe we are assuming that you do not want to spend all the time and money on legal recourse.

edit: pretty much everyone has said similar. Let us know what the action(s) are - I have not heard of this being an issue with the fuel system. For fuel to exit the exhaust system would require special circumstances, indeed. Like someone else asked, what was the progression? Fuel exited, then ignited, causing a fire?

Last edited by dmchao; 04-09-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

use your roadside assistance have flatbedded to dealer, period! This is what warranty is for. If insurance company needs to get involved get them involved!

The following 2 users liked this post by bjg625:
Don1954 (04-11-2018), mbelanger (04-11-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

I guarantee this is not the only vehicle that has see this problem.
You know... it probably is the only vehicle that has seen this problem. There aren't that many of them and fuel coming out of the exhaust is a very unlikely/rare occurrence. Your tone in this post sounds like you're convinced this is a major issue that effects all F-types and you want immediate reparations, which might be the reason for some of the reason for your troubles with corporate; especially since you haven't bothered to take it to the dealer. Now that's not to say JLR customer service isn't partly to blame; I really think they are quite terrible and could care less about their customer... another reason to see your local dealer for this issue.

That being said my initial assessment (with very little information) is that this is an isolated incident of your vehicle losing spark to some or all cylinders on one bank. Could be a fault in the wiring (mice maybe?) or a short caused by a rub through of a wire? Could of course be a hardware issue or a clot in the lines causing issues.

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (04-10-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,134 Likes on 1,308 Posts

I have never heard of this problem in a modern Jaguar - it is definitely not a common occurrence. But it did sometimes happen on the V12 cars with Marelli ignition; the rotor would fail, shutting down one bank of cylinders while fuel continued to pour into the catalytic converters...but that was on cars produced more than 20 years ago.
I agree that the tone immediately adopted by the OP is aggressive and counter-productive. If this incident did actually occur, then Jaguar wants to know about it, guaranteed. How about acting WITH the dealer instead of against the dealer? A likely scenario is an ignition failure, perhaps, as suggested, on one bank of the engine but there are a lot of gaps in this story...we need to know the outcome.

The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
Don1954 (04-11-2018), ndabunka (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

awjens - Could you please clarify the details of the fire? You say it "started a fire in the garage" but from the other thread I thought you said that the F-Type ITSELF caught fire. Did the car catch fire or did it catch something in the garage on fire? If in a garage, then how? Were there cleaning rags on a wall and the exhaust might have been aimed at them (even from 5 feet away) and THOSE caught fire? Or did the dripping fluids under the car ignite and you were able to extinguish them prior to them causing actual damage other than an admittedly HUGE scary event?

The exhaust from this car IS very hot and if directed ANYWHERE other than into clear air (e.g. tail pointed out into the driveway rather than backed in with exhaust facing drywall 1 foot, 3, feet or 5 feet away), sure I could see that something flammable (like a cleaning rag) could be ignited by the exhaust without even needing any "accelerate" like excess fuel. As already pointed out in the prior thread, a number of us had concerns about fluids puddling underneath the exhaust. We thought it might be differential gear fluid and in ONE case (out of the ten), it was a leaking gasket but in the other nine it was ruled "normal" and, as pointed out in the other thread, it was water with soot mixed in making it "oily looking". However, in those cases, the volume was not anywhere NEAR enough to have "captured" it in any way other than a bit on the floor of the garage. I am NOT happy about that but have found ways to stop it from happening. Then again I have a v8 instead of a v6 so my experience, as stated in the other thread, might be completely different from what you are experiencing. Myself and all the others on this forum DO want to help you get a solid resolution.

You state that raw fuel is coming out of a super hot exhaust pipe which is VERY odd as most fuel (even excess) would evaporate or burn off rather than having any possibility of being "pumped out". Could it happen? Perhaps but very odd and probably at least part of the reason for many on here to have skepticism. As many on here have pointed out, your incident appears to be VERY ISOLATED (read as .. yeah, yours would be the ONLY one any of us heard of such). Now, could there be a grand conspiracy hiding other occurrences up? Possibly but extremely unlikely.

Even if you do suspect JLR and/or your local dealer, you can fully document your observances and have JLR pick up the car to verify your understanding. Let them review and provide their POV. JLR is a responsible manufacturer who will work with you to address so I also don't understand your trepidation on this.

Last edited by ndabunka; 04-10-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:48 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

The 355 looks nice even with the fire.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:57 AM
Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

Let's just say that the story is funny! Very funny!

Don1954 (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 09:45 AM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Default A Troll at Best

I'm thinking this fellow is a troll at best and at worst a money grubbing lawsuit seeker.

The following 2 users liked this post by Don1954:
FType17 (04-12-2018), mbelanger (04-12-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 12:49 PM
Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I don't think we should question what his story is - just because it's extreme.
I was a fuel equipment engineer at one of the big 3. FMEAs stop at some point. It is entirely possible something extraordinary happened

Old 04-12-2018, 11:21 AM
Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

This story is totally bogus. It is technically impossible for raw fuel to pour out of the tailpipe. First of all it would burn off in the Cat Converters, If it did happen to travel down the exhaust ipe it would remain in vapor mode and it will likely burn before it came out of the tailpipe. If it was in liquid form, it would drain from the muffler holes on the bottom of it. Lastly, the volume of raw fuel needed to make it all the way out of the exhaust would be pretty incredibly high, even if all injectors were to be stuck open, the engine would stall and backfire very badly (direct injection engine). Even if this was the issue on only 1 cylinder, the unburned raw mixture would be ignited by the exhaust cycle of another cylinder from the same bank in the manifold.

The following 6 users liked this post by FType17:
andykreb (04-13-2018), Don1954 (04-12-2018), Mikey (04-13-2018), ndabunka (04-13-2018), sov211 (04-12-2018), Suaro (04-12-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-13-2018, 02:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This car was flatbedded and when they tilted it to take it off the fuel covered a 2' x 3' area on the flatbed. Even the driver could not believe there was this much fuel in the BACK of the vehicle. Its black fuel, somewhat burned. Its unfortunate that people think I'm a troll looking for legal cases. Look at my previous posts fools. I loved this car. Not I dont trust it and would never left my wife drive it. I frequently travel and she's home alone. Her in this car on a freeway could have been a much more serious condition. I haven't posted the videos because of the way Jaguar acted. This is the reason I posted here. This serves as a warning to everyone with an F-Type. I believe there is s serious design flaw and if the wrong component fails this could be catastrophic. I am going to place the video of it running on Youtube. Wake up people. I don't consider myself brand loyal but no motor vehicle I ever owned has done something so dangerous.

This is NOT oil. This is raw gasoline running out of the exhaust of the 2014 Jaguar F-Type when the car was tilted on the black flatbed trailer.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:41 PM
Default Put your money where your mouth is

Originally Posted by FType17
This story is totally bogus. It is technically impossible for raw fuel to pour out of the tailpipe. First of all it would burn off in the Cat Converters, If it did happen to travel down the exhaust ipe it would remain in vapor mode and it will likely burn before it came out of the tailpipe. If it was in liquid form, it would drain from the muffler holes on the bottom of it. Lastly, the volume of raw fuel needed to make it all the way out of the exhaust would be pretty incredibly high, even if all injectors were to be stuck open, the engine would stall and backfire very badly (direct injection engine). Even if this was the issue on only 1 cylinder, the unburned raw mixture would be ignited by the exhaust cycle of another cylinder from the same bank in the manifold.
I will bet anyone on this board $5000.00 that I can prove this is RAW FUEL running out of the exhaust. This car was started cold. The cat was cold. Put your money where your mouths are. Better yet, pay the repair bill when I prove you wrong. This car had a failure that has either been covered up by Jaguar or will start rearing its ugly head. If its a single point failure is it clearly a design flaw. If I want I can drive this car and make the 6.00 PM news. Had I thought about that before posting I probably would have done it. That way I wouldn't have had to deal with it. But honestly the best way is to warn people. So PM me, send the money to an Escrow holder. We will let a state licensed auto mechanic take the video. Otherwise you are speaking out of the same orifice that your body exhausts.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:56 PM
Default Flaming Jaguar

Originally Posted by ndabunka
awjens - Could you please clarify the details of the fire? You say it "started a fire in the garage" but from the other thread I thought you said that the F-Type ITSELF caught fire. Did the car catch fire or did it catch something in the garage on fire? If in a garage, then how? Were there cleaning rags on a wall and the exhaust might have been aimed at them (even from 5 feet away) and THOSE caught fire? Or did the dripping fluids under the car ignite and you were able to extinguish them prior to them causing actual damage other than an admittedly HUGE scary event?

The exhaust from this car IS very hot and if directed ANYWHERE other than into clear air (e.g. tail pointed out into the driveway rather than backed in with exhaust facing drywall 1 foot, 3, feet or 5 feet away), sure I could see that something flammable (like a cleaning rag) could be ignited by the exhaust without even needing any "accelerate" like excess fuel. As already pointed out in the prior thread, a number of us had concerns about fluids puddling underneath the exhaust. We thought it might be differential gear fluid and in ONE case (out of the ten), it was a leaking gasket but in the other nine it was ruled "normal" and, as pointed out in the other thread, it was water with soot mixed in making it "oily looking". However, in those cases, the volume was not anywhere NEAR enough to have "captured" it in any way other than a bit on the floor of the garage. I am NOT happy about that but have found ways to stop it from happening. Then again I have a v8 instead of a v6 so my experience, as stated in the other thread, might be completely different from what you are experiencing. Myself and all the others on this forum DO want to help you get a solid resolution.

You state that raw fuel is coming out of a super hot exhaust pipe which is VERY odd as most fuel (even excess) would evaporate or burn off rather than having any possibility of being "pumped out". Could it happen? Perhaps but very odd and probably at least part of the reason for many on here to have skepticism. As many on here have pointed out, your incident appears to be VERY ISOLATED (read as .. yeah, yours would be the ONLY one any of us heard of such). Now, could there be a grand conspiracy hiding other occurrences up? Possibly but extremely unlikely.

Even if you do suspect JLR and/or your local dealer, you can fully document your observances and have JLR pick up the car to verify your understanding. Let them review and provide their POV. JLR is a responsible manufacturer who will work with you to address so I also don't understand your trepidation on this.
JLR had an opportunity to see the car. I invited them to my home. This type of failure should be addressed by a factory rep. on the spot. If this happens to someone else they will be able to search this board and find these posts. They declined. They have seen all they will see of this car. I am now looking at Lambo and McLaren. The JLR customer service rep. needs to find a new career field. As does her supervisor. Its out of my hands. The videos will become public. They already received a certified letter with photographs. This board, the certified letters etc. are their warning. This company is a Turd. The car is a ticking time bomb IMO. Two months ago I would have praised this car. It has great looks and lines. This is a FIRE people. Not a simple engine missfire, coolant leak etc. RAW fuel running out of an exhaust pipe.

Old 04-13-2018, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

Geeze dude... calm down. No wonder they don’t want to deal with you. Not that fuel or fires are something to be taken lightly, but stuff happens. Parts break...

The following 3 users liked this post by Stohlen:
andykreb (04-13-2018), FType17 (04-13-2018), xdave (04-14-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 04:01 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I see no evidence of fire or fire damage.

The stains on the floor looks more like soot and water which is not unheard of on a cold engine.

FType17 (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

Fire in/on a car usually leaves fire marks. It should not be any problem posting some pics of the fire damage, as I would guess that would have been documented by pics more in detail than some pics of wet spots that could have been from any kind of liquids....

If the story is true (and I don't say it is not), what I find strange is that you provide detailed stories and reveals pics that is supposedly of the gas leak (but could be pics of any leak of any liquids) - but no pics of any parts of the car and the result of the fire damage caused to the car or anything else?

With the aledge amount of fuel coming out of the exaust pipes, in combination with a fire - how did you manage to stop the fire? It should spread in an instant, and be hard to put out without using a proper fire distinguisher - which is rather messy.

So if that happened to me I would not only have taken pics of some wet spots, and if I wanted to hold back on details (for any legal reason), I would not have written anywhere near what have allready been written here - including the pics of the aledge fuel spots.

So when everything else have been revealed - why not post some pics (or videos) of the fire damage to convince us? The only reason I can think of is pretty obvious.....

Some close up pics of the car (with the fire damage) won't reveal anything more than what you allready have revealed - but it would help us believe in your story - which I so far have a hard time doing.

Old 04-13-2018, 05:19 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Calm down dear don’t be such a drama queen.

irh007 (07-23-2019)
Old 04-13-2018, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

It seems that the OP may be trying to set up online "evidence" for a case against JLR so that they will be pressured into either taking the car back or compensating him for it, especially now that it's just out of warranty.

Post #1: “Before I send it to Jaguar...” meaning Jaguar has not inspected the car.
Post #5: “It isn’t going anywhere until JLR answers some questions”
Post #35: “I invited them to my home.”..."They declined. They have seen all they will see of this car.”
OP intentionally seems to be making it difficult if not impossible for JLR to actually inspect the car properly. Why? Why not flatbed it to the dealer IMMEDIATELY, like so many others have said??

Post #10: “EXTREMELY dangerous situation. One that warrants limited cooperation.” In what universe does this make any sense?? A situation like the one OP is describing should warrant the UTMOST cooperation.

Also in post #10, OP mentions a certain photograph sent to JLR via certified mail. Let's see it, if OP is so concerned with this incident happening to others.

OP mentions "a incident occurred (sic)" in post #2, a "severe fire hazard" in post #5, then finally states that "it started a fire" in post #15.

OP keeps stating that he wishes to find out if this has happened to others...the answer seems to be a resounding NO.

If OP is indeed concerned that everyone's FType is a ticking timebomb, he should make all the details of the alleged incident crystal clear.

I suspect he was hoping to rile up the members of JaguarForums to somehow put more pressure on JLR. If it turns out OP is actually telling the truth, I'll be the first to eat my hat. But this all just stinks like raw fuel.

Last edited by XJ8JR; 04-13-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Quick Reply: V6-S dumping raw fuel