Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6-S dumping raw fuel

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
If fuel were pumping out of the tailpipes - and it had ignited as is being reported - wouldn’t that lead to a very rapid catastrophic fire that would consume the car very quickly?

Trying to imagine what a scenario like that would look like - could you even put it out as it’s a continuous stream of flammable liquid that is on fire?
You could, if you reacted quickly and had the right equipment for it easy at hand. But it would leave a mess (of white powder or foam).

Old 04-14-2018, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by awjens
This car is completely stock. My reference was for a Porsche engine that I put a supercharger on...
the balance is further testimony on qualifications & of no use in diagnosing the issue so no benefit for this thread as we already believe you have technical knowledge of injectors.

With that said I surely know the difference between condensation and fuel.
We understand that you believe this. Only issue is... How does the fuel get all the way to the exhaust tips rather than being ignited in the CATS and burned off?

I am just as baffled how so much fuel can run thru this engine and fill the exhaust system...
As are we (see above) but our concerns aren't about CEL readouts. Perhaps you are looking for an invalid source. Fuel tank SEAL leak would sound FAR more plausible

My guess is there is or will be a flash to the ECM to prevent this. If there is they are keeping quiet and didn't tell anyone.
Conspiracy theorist apparently are experiencing a type of heyday recently with all kinds of outrageous claims but let's leave that all to the political world OK. Let's figure out YOUR issue and help you resolve it.

So here's my assessment on the JLR fuel management system. The operation was a success but the patient died.
This is like saying that since one person being treated for cancer died of the treatment, the ENTIRE treatment regime is corrupt and that the hospital ordering the treatment should be called on the carpet to explain the flawed system. Obviously not logical.

Many on this thread have already communicated to you that your issue appears to be an ISOLATED incident because none of us have EVER heard of ANYBODY having it EVER. It may not be what you personally want to hear so you get emotional. We get it but that doesn't change the fact that yours appears to be an isolated issue.

99.99% of the patients/F-Types are on the road & very healthy and have not had any covert reprogramming in the dark of the night by a JLR technician sneaking into our garages without our knowledge

Last edited by ndabunka; 04-14-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

The engine was running (smoothly?) during this event, so not an injector problem. Right side fuel rail codes (I believe low pressure) triggered, so perhaps a fuel delivery problem. No O2 codes thrown (expected differentials off the upstream and downstream cat sensors). Fuel dripping off pipes at back end of car: C'mon...if this is for real, then it's a gas tank or fuel line leak, probably the one feeding the fuel pump serving cyls 4,5 & 6.

Last edited by Unhingd; 04-15-2018 at 05:03 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
FType17 (04-14-2018), ndabunka (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

see images for comments

Here is a link to the prior Exhaust and/or Rear Differential LEAK thread on here
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...d-leak-168670/

Attached Thumbnails V6-S dumping raw fuel-awsjen-oil.jpg  

Last edited by ndabunka; 04-14-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:21 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been sitting on the sidelines for a while watching this thread.

About a year ago I had an issue where one of the fuel rails failed. Performance lagged, exhaust was smoky and the car left a trail of some sort of liquid up the driveway that did have a smell of gasoline / oil / who knows what.

Had the car towed to the dealership who addressed the fuel rail issue and replaced the alternator that was damaged by fuel leaking into the engine compartment.

Car's been working fine without an issue since. I also had a BMW do the same thing to me a few years prior. I say give the dealership the opportunity to address.

The following 2 users liked this post by dwoodard:
BRG4ever (04-22-2019), ndabunka (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 11:39 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by dwoodard
About a year ago I had an issue where one of the fuel rails failed. Performance lagged, exhaust was smoky and the car left a trail of some sort of liquid up the driveway that did have a smell of gasoline / oil / who knows what.
There's currently a recall for some of the earlier 2.0L 4-cylinder petrol engines for that very reason, although there are no reported occurrences of it happening out in the wild AFAIK.

Originally Posted by dwoodard
Had the car towed to the dealership who addressed the fuel rail issue and replaced the alternator that was damaged by fuel leaking into the engine compartment.
This is where the OP is lacking in my opinion. He's come out way too angry way too early and apart from insisting one time only that JLR sends somebody to his house to inspect it (as if they're going to do that for something where most of the rest of us seems to be an isolated incident if indeed it did occur), he's gone into his bunker and donned his tin foil fat.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Mikey (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 12:58 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Excellent reference, thanks for posting but this recall deals with potential under hood leaks, not spitting raw fuel out the tailpipes.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that the Op's car didn't experience a fire or spit raw fuel out the tailpipes, just dripped some soot laden condensation in in his garage. Pretty much like all cars do.

Last edited by Mikey; 04-14-2018 at 02:22 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mikey:
andykreb (04-14-2018), FType17 (04-14-2018), sov211 (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey;1876974

I[I
'm[/I] becoming more and more convinced that the Op's car didn't experience a fire or spit raw fuel out the tailpipes, just dripped some soot laden condensationin in his garage. Pretty much like all cars do.
This is exactly my conclusion - especially if it is his or his wife's practice to leave the car idling in the garage for some minutes (which is pretty much what he described in his initial rant. See #1 ) because the exhaust system fills with condensate - and if the car is not run long enough to burn that off (and often it does not clear through the tiny drain holes) then the next time the car is used a considerable amount of fluid leaves the exhaust pipe - sometimes it pours out under acceleration. I see this regularly in all sorts of cars used by what might be termed "less aggressive drivers".

Last edited by sov211; 04-14-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ndabunka
see images for comments

Here is a link to the prior Exhaust and/or Rear Differential LEAK thread on here
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...d-leak-168670/
Ok - so he has "reused" several years old pics to support his bougus case.

Case closed then. He is a troll.

Edit: big misstake from me and sorry for that to OP. This comment from me is 100% wrong. OP has NOT reused old pictures!

Last edited by Arne; 04-15-2018 at 04:33 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:34 PM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey

The stains on the floor looks more like soot and water which is not unheard of on a cold engine.
Agree, looks just like my V8 does, mine never caught fire, don't think it's fuel.
Like to see video with burning fuel exiting the exhaust.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 856 Posts

This thread is exhausting.

The following 4 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
BRG4ever (04-22-2019), ndabunka (04-14-2018), PBBarb (04-18-2018), Uncle Fishbits (04-19-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Arne
Ok - so he has "reused" several years old pics to support his bougus case.
Case closed then. He is a troll.
Not certain what you are talking about. AWJENS wasn't posting in that other thread so none of those pictures are his & he didn't re-use any of the pictures from that thread. The thread was presented in my post to draw the OPs attention to the prior "mostly" identical discussions for his reference, nothing more and no accusations of him being a troll. I edited his picture in THIS thread & augmented it with my comments.

Last edited by ndabunka; 04-14-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:18 PM
Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

Running at idle for 2 minutes, see the ground. It is just condensation from the tip and from the condensation that manages to travel from the tip's edge back towards the pipe (my car) added consideration... this was a V6, there is n crossover in the exhaust. If there was ONE bad injector, this would be ONLY on one side. The V8 has a crossover exhaust. The engine would NOT run well. And the gas expansion with that much fuel in the pipe would be massive. The system would default to quiet mode (full muffler), to have so much fuel to come out of the tailpipe would just be unthinkable. Lastly, yes the I4 has a fuel rail issue (poor brazing), that causes leak in the engine compartment, at best it would come out from the belly pan cover.

ndabunka (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
This thread is exhausting.
Are you kidding? It's a gas.

The following 3 users liked this post by lizzardo:
ndabunka (04-14-2018), PBBarb (04-18-2018), Uncle Fishbits (04-19-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Are you kidding? It's a gas.
Blow it out your tailpipe

Old 04-15-2018, 02:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Not certain what you are talking about. AWJENS wasn't posting in that other thread so none of those pictures are his & he didn't re-use any of the pictures from that thread. The thread was presented in my post to draw the OPs attention to the prior "mostly" identical discussions for his reference, nothing more and no accusations of him being a troll. I edited his picture in THIS thread & augmented it with my comments.
Sorry - my mistake. I thought he had used a pic from that older thread.

I still stand by my other comments though, and can't understand why he refuses to come up with solid evidence to back up his story. So far no pics that shows any signs of a fire, and not even one pic of any parts of an F-type.....?

Edit: my misstake AGAIN. The OP has provided pics of parts of a F-type in previous post. Sorry once more to OP.

Last edited by Arne; 04-15-2018 at 04:35 AM.
ndabunka (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 03:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Arne
Sorry - my mistake. I thought he had used a pic from that older thread.

I still stand by my other comments though, and can't understand why he refuses to come up with solid evidence to back up his story. So far no pics that shows any signs of a fire, and not even one pic of any parts of an F-type.....?

See post #33, two pics from the OP showing the back of a V6 F-Type.

Old 04-15-2018, 04:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
See post #33, two pics from the OP showing the back of a V6 F-Type.
Looks like I should stop making comments here based on what I see on a smartphone screen...

My mistake once more. Sorry for that to the OP. I should not have concludet so certain, and will correct my wrong statement in those posts.
If OP could provide any signs of a fire as well, it would be a good indication that he actually has a case. So far it still looks like the usual condensation/sot coming out of the exaust right after startup, but I have been too quick to comment before in this thread. If it really is fuel coming out of the exaust, it would be very interesting to know how that could be possible, and also how it could happen when engine running without an instant fire causing major damage (which there is still no signs of in any of the pics, unless I am misstaken again...).

ndabunka (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 11:07 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Not commenting on the OP's situation directly, but:

(1) if I had a car that I thought was a fire risk I would want it out of my house ASAP let it burn the dealer down rather than my house!

(2) as an attorney for a large industrial and consumer products company, who works closely with our liability team, any time we get a seemingly irate situation such as this we always escalateand cross our t's and dot our i's. If you look to be setting up to sue us we will damn well be sure to protect ourselves at the same time. **** happens, we don't like it either and want to make it right. Despite what you read, safety is most companies priority. And no, I don't work for JLR.

Quick Reply: V6-S dumping raw fuel