F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 to V8 swap possible?

Old 06-22-2017, 05:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default V6 to V8 swap possible?

I wouldn't be asking if I didn't have to replace/ repair my current V6 engine to the tune of the possibility of entertaining the swap. I am just wondering if anyone has looked into doing this before. I didn't see anyting in search.

I would imagine the bell housing of the tranny, motor mounts and exhaust manifolds for sure, but what else to get the V8 to fit in the V6 space?

Please forego all of the snide comments as it is a hard enough pill to swallow to have to fork over this much money. I'm just looking for some help in the form of guidance and advice.

Very much appreciated, guys.

Last edited by Dan's cat; 06-22-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:55 PM
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

How are you not still under warranty to where this shouldn't be a question?

Old 06-22-2017, 06:05 PM

No, unfortunately.. ugh

Old 06-22-2017, 06:26 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Anything is possible, but it would be prohibitively expensive and a major pain. And you wouldn't gain any value as the car would be a Frankenstein. You'd be much better off selling your current car without an engine and then buying an R.

The following users liked this post:
Jagged Wire (06-23-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Sorry to hear about your engine, what happened?

Old 06-22-2017, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mark G
Anything is possible, but it would be prohibitively expensive and a major pain. And you wouldn't gain any value as the car would be a Frankenstein. You'd be much better off selling your current car without an engine and then buying an R.
Well, I'm looking at $10-15k right now as it is, so I'm entertaining the option.

I'm not trying to increase the value, but that being said, I would hope that it wouldn't decrease it either.

I wouldn't have any idea what I could get for it without an engine. lol It has all the packs. It was originally sold for $99k and currently has 34k miles.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:52 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Fitting the engine mechanically would be a piece of cake. Teaching the rest of the car that it now has a V8 instead of the expected V6 would cost more than the value of the replacement engine and car together.

Dan's cat (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 07:01 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Sorry to hear about that.

You can take a 3.0L s/c V6 engine from any Jaguar or Land Rover donor vehicle, doesn't have to be an F-Type, this might help in finding a used engine at a better price.

If you get a Land Rover unit you will have to swap the sump, oil pickup, and ancillaries over from your original engine, but the rest is the same.

A V6 to V8 conversion, while technically possible, is not economically viable in my opinion, if you're looking to just get the car back on the road then a used V6 is going to be the cheapest solution.

Dan's cat (06-23-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 07:37 PM
Received 350 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Sorry to hear about your engine, what happened?
+1 what happened?

Old 06-22-2017, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan's cat
I would imagine the bell housing of the tranny, motor mounts and exhaust manifolds for sure, but what else to get the V8 to fit in the V6 space?
Motor mounts and bell housing would be the same actually. However the electronics would kill you unless you went full stand alone, and that likely would have negative affects on other areas of the car.

Dan's cat (06-23-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 09:03 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan's cat
Well, I'm looking at $10-15k right now as it is, so I'm entertaining the option.

I'm not trying to increase the value, but that being said, I would hope that it wouldn't decrease it either.

I wouldn't have any idea what I could get for it without an engine. lol It has all the packs. It was originally sold for $99k and currently has 34k miles.
It would definitely decrease the value of the car. It would be very hard to find a buyer for a high end car with an aftermarket engine swap. The dealership won't do that work, so if it even worked at all, you'd be facing endless problems that wouldn't be covered under warranty. You'd hate it and want to get rid of it, but most if not all buyers wouldn't give it a second look. It sucks that you're in that situation, but I'm guessing there's a reason the engine blew and that Jaguar isn't replacing it. Don't make it worse on yourself. Either put the right engine in or sell it as is and get the V8 if you want that. How is it even possible to spec out a V6 to $99k anyway? I paid less than that for my '16 R.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Were I in your situation, I would be having the same thought process. As I am in the car for the long haul, impact on market value would not be an issue for me. As the back of the engine block and the tranny (assuming AT) are identical between the two engines, the mechanical swap would be trivial. The only accommodation might be different engine mounts, and the entire exhaust system. The challenge as others have mentioned will be the electronics/programming. For certain the ECU would have to be replaced to match the V8. Perhaps much more would be need. I, personally, would chase this down a rat hole (while attempting to match an MT at the same time). Does $10-15k get you a new engine installed, or the existing one fixed. Retrofitting a new V8 probably can't come in under $30k.

Panthro (10-11-2023)
Old 06-23-2017, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member

I think unlocking full potential of V6 would be a better investment.

Just ask Unhingd for his engine mod wish list and follow that.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
I think unlocking full potential of V6 would be a better investment.

Just ask Unhingd for his engine mod wish list and follow that.
+1. Even with a $15k repair bill, that would be your most certain and cost efficient way to achieve a serious power gain.

Dan's cat (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

But what happened ? Did the dyno pulls kill your engine ? If I read your past posts correctly you hadn't yet modded the car with either a tune or pulley ?

Old 06-23-2017, 10:20 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by stmcknig
But what happened ? Did the dyno pulls kill your engine ? If I read your past posts correctly you hadn't yet modded the car with either a tune or pulley ?
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...2/#post1703210

Old 06-23-2017, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

I need more coffee...read that a while back but didn't connect the user name....

I'll stand in the corner for a while.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
Fitting the engine mechanically would be a piece of cake. Teaching the rest of the car that it now has a V8 instead of the expected V6 would cost more than the value of the replacement engine and car together.
Are you guessing, or do you know this for sure? I would imagine it would be getting a new ECU to program to the engine, but obviously I have no idea. That's why I am asking there is any real experience, or research on this.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

Mikey is known to guess a lot and he drives S type, not F type.

I anecdotally heard from my dealer that it is possible to change tunes via dealer tool (e.g. V8S to R). I don't know if it is possible to do the same with V6 to V8. I imagine controllers (ECU and so on) are the same, but wiring harness probably different.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Were I in your situation, I would be having the same thought process. As I am in the car for the long haul, impact on market value would not be an issue for me. As the back of the engine block and the tranny (assuming AT) are identical between the two engines, the mechanical swap would be trivial. The only accommodation might be different engine mounts, and the entire exhaust system. The challenge as others have mentioned will be the electronics/programming. For certain the ECU would have to be replaced to match the V8. Perhaps much more would be need. I, personally, would chase this down a rat hole (while attempting to match an MT at the same time). Does $10-15k get you a new engine installed, or the existing one fixed. Retrofitting a new V8 probably can't come in under $30k.
I was assuming a new ECU for sure, but I guess I just don't understand why other electronics would be an issue. Isn't everything controlled by the ECU? Are there so many different electronic parts between the two platforms?

Not new, but low mileage v8, or V6 installed. The existing is being torn down right now to see extent or damage and possibility of repair.

Search this Thread