F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm back with a few observations and questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts
Default I'm back with a few observations and questions.

So, the dealership had my car for 3 months and 2 weeks. I absolutely adore my car, but suffering through this from 22K - 39K miles, in the shop about 8 times, and this last one being a quarter of a year, I'm think I'm going to continue with a buyback. The process is started, and I've no lawyer involved yet, and hoping I don't need one.....

The dealer did their best to keep me happy during the interim, and I'm not one to spend energy on things I can't control, but I learned a lot in the meantime. Mine is a custom, factory built and delivered base model manual transmission. They gave me a few loaners, til I got frustrated enough during the summer to ask for a convertible, and they gave me the 380hp S model vert, automatic.

Thoughts on the 380hp automatic vs my 340hp manual. These are just my ignorant opinions, so no offense to anyone. =)

1) I am a kind and patient, friendly guy. I learned I do have a breaking point, and it is tied to the phrase "Beware the fury of a patient man".

2) I hate automatics, but this was the first time in my life I've driven one at length. Only AT I have ever driven were rental cars on work trips, and no more than 2 or 3 days, really. I didn't drag the car, nor do I drag, but off the lines (especially when no one is around), it's no joke how brilliantly these modern transmissions link up, and shift. The smooth transitions were fantastic, but 0-60 is really exhilarating vs antiquated shifting. I've heard ludicrous mode on a Tesla is like feeling your heart hit your spine while going into hyperspace on a spaceship, and I can't even imagine what that is like. Tesla loans testers for 24 hour periods where I am, and after experiencing how a modern AT links up off the line, I think I may need to try it. Pretty fun, but would never give up my MT. It is so freaking boring to drive.

3) It's amazing the sheer amount permutations of options that make these cars so different, and make your car truly "yours". Yes I was in a 380hp, but everything about the car was wrong, with options. I didn't even know some of the stuff that I chose was so great. This didn't have dual climate, nor did it have a backup camera or any of the vision/safety stuff. What's more, the loaner didn't have a storage area by my right shoulder (the vertical one towards the back, not the elbow rest).

4) I hate, and I mean REALLY hate, wheels that are not black.

5) I hate, not as much as the wheels, the color white on this car.

6) The volume button for the radio in the AT shift area is in a better location. Such minutia! lol

7) Paddle shifting is silly to me. I've never driven a super car, and YES... I love to engine break and did it a lot. But it's just super silly. I used the stick vs the paddles. I just don't get it. Why not just get a manual?

8) I desperately want the little trigger on the AT shifter. I pretended to blow things up constantly. Yes, I will never not be a silly little boy. It got me to thinking of how I rigged up my first car with a BUNCH of stupid fake switches, etc.

9) Not sure if it was more power, or the limited slip differential, but I lost my back end and chirped the tires WAY more on the AT. I can't imagine it being power related, and it could be the P-Zeros vs my PS4.... but wild.

10) this gets into opinion, but I loathe, loathe, LOATHE the desperate and needy sound of the 380hp. It is more of a muscle car, and it sounds like someone blowing bubbles in mud. Just hated the sound. It's amazing how it dashed any curiosity if I should have gone to the "S" model.

11) The base model is the most appropriate successor to the E-Type, and it's the true GT of the entire line of F-Types. It's more elegant, and screams "Look at me" less than the other variations.

Now the question....

I should go through with the buy back, right? Under warranty, CA lemon law is "more than 4 attempts to fix the same problem, or over 30 days". I am no lawyer, but I've had a number of in the know professionals say I am good to go, and should continue with the buyback and re-order of a new car. Building out a new car, it seems some of my options have changed (like rims being different), and it's not something I love as much as my current model. But is there any reason I shouldn't continue with the buy back, other than fearing silly bureacracy, etc? Any reason this car should be given a chance? I don't necessarily believe it's fixed, and I am already waiting for the check engine light to come on... What's more is that I will take the risk for myself, but I certainly don't feel safe having my wife in the car, whether the critical issues happen again, or I risk some sort of highway breakdown, etc. But I would love your opinion and experiences with any buybacks you've done in your lifetime, and any thoughts or advice on whether I do it?

Thanks all. It was a long haul and some of you were always there for me. What a great community. Can't wait to get out to Pt Reyes this weekend! Time for some windy drives. Cheers all.

Here's the horror show.

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 08-10-2018 at 12:51 PM. Reason: add page
The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
Jim F (08-11-2018), Mbourne (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 03:17 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

If I hadn't bought mine used, I'd totally be going this route. I feel your pain, even if mine hasn't been going on as long, it has the potential to and it's already bad enough and while I hate to complain about my loaner (since it is a loaner) I am sick and tired of driving an SUV when I HATE driving SUVs and I have a convertible for a reason.

I appreciate you sharing and look forward to hearing how this turns out for you.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (08-10-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 196 Posts

So in 3 months and 2 days they :
- checked a persistent misfire ;
- replaced distorted cam sprocket;

And they normally charge USD 210 ex for labour.. .. and USD 80 if you have a replacement car for more then 3 days..
It says at the last line : ' Please read important information on back ' - anything we should know of - ?
And the missing page 3 ???

Main thing is : did they solve the problem permanently ? I am not familiar with US/CA law, but if you accepted the car and its fixed, I don't see how you could return it now.
I think you should have put a deadline before you agreed to leave the car there. As far as I can follow your argument you now say , "..its fixed but they took too long" .

In Europe that won't fly anymore. Unless the same problem comes back yet again..

Last edited by Dan_NL; 08-09-2018 at 03:25 PM. Reason: noticed page 3 missing
Old 08-09-2018, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

If you can get a buyback, I would without question.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:23 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Love how you say no offense off the start, and proceed to be quite offensive with words such as loathe, desperate, needy, and the word hate over and over. Pretty offensive dude. Not even sure why you posted half that stuff other than to take shots at others.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ron Gillespie:
fujicoupe (08-10-2018), panteradon (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 876 Posts

I've had no issues at all with mine but agree with most of what you say. I wouldnt say I agonised over manual vs auto as I came out of an XKR which was suited to the auto, but it hit me within a week of having bought the auto that the whole f type experience (steering/suspension/feel) is much more suited to a good manual. If I could swap mine for one exactly the same (colour/options) but in a manual, I'd do it in a heartbeat, even though the manual wouldnt be worth as much and I'd take it in the tail come trade in time.

I dont agree though regarding using the auto stick for manual shifting. This tipping backward and forward business is very awkward and I think that using paddles craps on it.

Last edited by BruceTheQuail; 08-09-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:26 PM
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Small world, I also bought my f-type from the Corte Madera dealership and I live up in Santa Rosa. I'm always fascinated by how long they take to service their vehicles. Just going in for an oil change would take like 4-5 hours for some reason. One time, all I needed was to get my cargo cover in my F-Type replaced since the one that came with the car was warped and would come unhinged all of the time. It would've taken me probably two minutes to swap it out. I was there for 2 hours before they brought me my car. Too bad there's not a better Jaguar dealership in the North Bay.

The following 2 users liked this post by Vishnu Sethu:
Sonoman (08-14-2018), Uncle Fishbits (08-10-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 196 Posts

@Bruce.
I am used to driving manual cars as we have the Alfa Romeo and Regularly rentals. I only mis a manual driving down mountains, never in the flat lands.
For this I just put the lever in sports and switch by hand. The flippers are silly, only handy when you go straight, so I steer left and switch with my right hand. I don't miss a clutch at all.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
If you can get a buyback, I would without question.
+1.

Maybe this will cheer you up:

Last edited by Unhingd; 08-09-2018 at 08:17 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Don1954 (08-10-2018), Jim F (08-11-2018), Magical (08-10-2018), Ron Gillespie (08-10-2018), SinF (08-11-2018), sov211 (08-10-2018), Uncle Fishbits (08-10-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-09-2018, 08:27 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

I feel for your frustrations, I generally hate the dealer experience and do as much of my own service as possible dreading the day if/when I have to take it in for something more serious.. But as someone said earlier, if it's really finally fixed, perhaps consider keeping it? You've invested much time in getting it fixed. And it seems your car is configured the way you like it,

Alternatively, if it only reminds you of all the hassles to date, then jam it back on them and say eat this suckers!!

Old 08-10-2018, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts
Default Nothing better to do?

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Some people have entirely too much time on their hands.......

Old 08-10-2018, 09:58 AM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

it is funny.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Page 3! Ooops!

Also, I know a lot of the diagnosing was some inefficient and odd back and forth between dealer and engineers at corporate. Some weird system where they send info, it sits in a queue, and the corporate guys review and then offer a new suggestion... the dealer tries that, reports back with results, and then corporate offers new suggestions, repeat ad infinitum

Old 08-10-2018, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ron Gillespie
Love how you say no offense off the start, and proceed to be quite offensive with words such as loathe, desperate, needy, and the word hate over and over. Pretty offensive dude. Not even sure why you posted half that stuff other than to take shots at others.
People that know me on here know I am a nice, happy guy. Just because my personal opinion uses words that come to mind doesn't mean anything about your car, which is badass with the black stripe. My loaner was just a low-to-no option "S", from the interiors to bells and whistles. I guess I didn't really understand how "all out" I went on my car. I have no hubris, and definitely acknowledge I could have used softer words. But I wasn't in the mood to sit there and try to grasp for other words. Totally hear you on the vernacular, but honestly it is legit just some nobody who has a dumb opinion. It's no more important than anyone else's. Pardon the rudeness or offense tho.

edit: I like to sit and think on things, in general... but especially if I've wronged someone or pissed them off, or just offended them.

Re: the exhaust notes on the S. I note that when you switch into dynamic, then sport, and are using the shifter to go up and down in gears, I was at a massively higher RPM (3000-4000) than where the automatic transmission would be if I were not in control of shifting. In fact, I was *shocked* how low an RPM the AT would drive at (1000-2000??) when not engaging the shifting. That being said, it's *MY* fault (even beyond opinion), because I was driving at higher RPM that were causing the exhaust notes to sound like stoccato rapid fire gunshots. I still believe the base has a more elegant sound in general... it was surprising how different the 340hp and 380hp are. But sometimes I was driving in a way that reminded me of a youtube video I can't find, of an F-Type just sounding horrible after a tune and muffler augmentation. Just WAY too much, too loud, etc. So I do chalk that up to me, my driving of the AT, etc. So that opinion may not even be a fair assessment.

Anyone know the youtube video I am talking about? Two guys, top down, and the person is filming from behind, in a different car. It's just crack-crack-crack-crack every single second. It was just way too much.

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 08-10-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I've had no issues at all with mine but agree with most of what you say. I wouldnt say I agonised over manual vs auto as I came out of an XKR which was suited to the auto, but it hit me within a week of having bought the auto that the whole f type experience (steering/suspension/feel) is much more suited to a good manual. If I could swap mine for one exactly the same (colour/options) but in a manual, I'd do it in a heartbeat, even though the manual wouldnt be worth as much and I'd take it in the tail come trade in time.

I dont agree though regarding using the auto stick for manual shifting. This tipping backward and forward business is very awkward and I think that using paddles craps on it.
I realize I should have forced myself to try them more. It was just such a new thing... my first paddles ever. I will give them another shot, when I have a chance. I've heard people spinning out in super cars are usually due to paddle shifting, and now I realize it's really just due to bad driving. lol

BruceTheQuail (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vishnu Sethu
Small world, I also bought my f-type from the Corte Madera dealership and I live up in Santa Rosa. I'm always fascinated by how long they take to service their vehicles. Just going in for an oil change would take like 4-5 hours for some reason. One time, all I needed was to get my cargo cover in my F-Type replaced since the one that came with the car was warped and would come unhinged all of the time. It would've taken me probably two minutes to swap it out. I was there for 2 hours before they brought me my car. Too bad there's not a better Jaguar dealership in the North Bay.
They are my only experience, so this is REALLY interesting to me. I just shrugged and thought "Am I really going to drive this to a different dealer??"

I know, from my own trials in hospitality and restaurants- staffing for anything is nearly impossible nowadays.

People can't afford to live near work, in areas like this, and it's damaging to just about everything. It's why so many Napa/Sonoma restaurants have closed recently. It's freaking awful. The pic is a San Diego taco chain, but north bay has lost Fremont Diner, Terra & Terra Bar, Cindy's backstreet kitchen, end of July lost Brannan's, & Jolie was about a year ago or so, etc. Yes unemployment is low, and wages will eventually rise. However, in these areas, the wages won't be able to rise enough to meet cost of living for a normal middle class family, because the business would be paying enough to become unprofitable. It's a profound problem.

And not just mechanics, but service reps, etc. It's any job. Couple that with Brick and Mortar failing, while cost per sq foot still being high because of the land value of the area.... ugh. It's why places like Calistoga or St. Helena, or my downtown Tiburon, have so many vacant store fronts. Sorry to ramble on this, but it is top of my mind daily. And it's not just Nor Cal.... Portland, Vegas, etc. You name it. I welcome solutions. lol

Old 08-10-2018, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1.

Maybe this will cheer you up:

This was well taken, well received, well digested. Yes, it cheered me up. Goodness that's funny.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Chawumba
I feel for your frustrations, I generally hate the dealer experience and do as much of my own service as possible dreading the day if/when I have to take it in for something more serious.. But as someone said earlier, if it's really finally fixed, perhaps consider keeping it? You've invested much time in getting it fixed. And it seems your car is configured the way you like it,

Alternatively, if it only reminds you of all the hassles to date, then jam it back on them and say eat this suckers!!

I had already started the buyback process, and it's nice to hear the measured view point. I LOOOOooove my car. I love it. I don't trust that it is fully fixed. However, if it is, I do know that the problem will, apparently, be forever covered for this certain issue, beyond warranty, because it happened under warranty. In the end, it does seem like they repaired much of the engine. And yes, the way this is configured, coupled with the new year models and options, I'm not going to get this car back. I don't think the rims I like are available anymore, etc.

The only reason I would go through the buy back is my naivety and lack of knowledge in engineering to know the long term deleterious effects and impact of all that happened. When the faults were happening, the car would shake so violently, and there were times I had to drive 1/4 - 3/4 miles to get somewhere safe to "reboot" the car, ie turn it off then back on. Also, if coolant was leaking, rich fuel, etc.... I've no idea about the long term problems the situation could have caused.

I did even think "what's the carfax, how's the resale", but I cannot ever imagine selling this car.... so not even sure *that* matters. So your point is well taken. I sort of wonder if I could forgo the buyback, and just get an extended additional warranty for the current vehicle?

Old 08-10-2018, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
Main thing is : did they solve the problem permanently ? I am not familiar with US/CA law, but if you accepted the car and its fixed, I don't see how you could return it now.
I think you should have put a deadline before you agreed to leave the car there. As far as I can follow your argument you now say , "..its fixed but they took too long" .

In Europe that won't fly anymore. Unless the same problem comes back yet again..
Added page 3. No way to know if they solved it, of course. If it never happens again, they solved it! But I had started the buy back July 22nd. They know the dealer finished, and I have it, and they have the final docs needed.

Apparently, they are looking at it under CA Lemon Law, which states something like "more than 3 or 4 attempts to fix the same problem, or the dealer has the car more than 30 days under warranty". We shall see... I'm no lawyer, and especially would prefer not to have any involved.

Thanks for the comment, to you and all. Cheers wonderful community, and happy Friday.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Pardon the rudeness or offense tho.
I didn't read it that way at all. You were reviewing a loaner car and expressing your opinions. You hate wheels that aren't black. So what? That's a far cry from saying that anyone who buys silver wheels is an idiot, although I have silver wheels, so perhaps a bad example. A co-worker likes white cars and only seems to want white cars, so I tease him about driving a giant bar of soap. "The bar of soap" is the nickname for my Miata, by the way, because it's a white NA with hard top, and that's what it looks like.

Anyway, I had some similar feelings when I had a white 400 Sport as a loaner. Not the way I would have ordered an F-Type, as evidenced by the fact that my custom ordered F-Type is quite different. I hated the side skirts. No offense to anyone that likes them. You can have them and I don't have to. It's the differences in an otherwise familiar car that catch your attention, sometimes for the better, sometimes not.

The following 2 users liked this post by lizzardo:
Misujerr (08-10-2018), Uncle Fishbits (08-10-2018)

Quick Reply: I'm back with a few observations and questions.