F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VAP tune and pulley - Belt slipping

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 01:35 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default VAP tune and pulley - Belt slipping

So I recently had the VAP tune and crank pulley installed on my V8R. On the dyno pull, the car had a weird power curve where it just suddenly lost power after 5800 rpm.
At the time I had a catless downpipe installed so we couldn't hear anything strange and the theory was that it was perhaps a little heatsoaked or octane may have been an issue.

With the catless downpipe off the car now, I took it on a run this weekend when I heard it. The belt is slipping on full throttle application around 5800 rpm.

It's going back to the installer this week but I just want to see if anyone else has experienced this issue before? I assume it would be a tensioner issue but I'm simply speculating...

Last edited by Biofreak; 09-16-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Biofreak
So I recently had the VAP tune and crank pulley installed on my V8R. On the dyno pull, the car had a weird power curve where it just suddenly lost power after 5800 rpm.
At the time I had a catless downpipe installed so we couldn't hear anything strange and the theory was that it was perhaps a little heatsoaked or octane may have been an issue.

With the catless downpipe off the car now, I took it on a run this weekend when I heard it. The belt is slipping on full throttle application around 5800 rpm.

It's going back to the installer this week but I just want to see if anyone else has experienced this issue before? I assume it would be a tensioner issue but I'm simply speculating...
No problem here. I have the Eurotoys kit, but the pulleys are identically dimensioned. What’s the belt number?

Last edited by Unhingd; 09-16-2018 at 02:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Eurotoys (10-26-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd

No problem here. I have the Eurotoys kit, but the pulleys are identically dimensioned. What’s the belt number?
No clue on the belt number. It's the standard issue double sided belt included with the VAP kit.

Old 09-16-2018, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

I understand that with the VAP double sided belt you don't need a new tensioner and you stick with the OEM tensioner, in which case your belt tensioner may be nearly worn out and/or right at the end of it's allowed movement. Your installer should be able to check this fairly easily.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:18 PM
Received 822 Likes on 467 Posts

Drop us an email please with name & order number. We had a few belts that came in out of spec. We can send you a replacement if it is slipping.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Biofreak (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Drop us an email please with name & order number. We had a few belts that came in out of spec. We can send you a replacement if it is slipping.
Sent you a mail, thanks Stuart!

Old 09-17-2018, 02:46 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Had the same issue with the new double sided belt slipping at above 5k rpm. Stuart sent me another double sided belt replacement, plus the original green Gates one sided belt.

What I have noticed is that both double sided belts are 2 cm longer than the original green Gates one sided belt, which explains the slipping issue.

I am on the oem pulley setup for now, and enjoy the vap tune only, which is lovely, I especially appreciate the build up of power towards redline, makes me remember my old E92 M3.

Will soon get back to vap pulley but with the green Gates belt.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:20 AM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Brava
Had the same issue with the new double sided belt slipping at above 5k rpm. Stuart sent me another double sided belt replacement, plus the original green Gates one sided belt.

What I have noticed is that both double sided belts are 2 cm longer than the original green Gates one sided belt, which explains the slipping issue.

I am on the oem pulley setup for now, and enjoy the vap tune only, which is lovely, I especially appreciate the build up of power towards redline, makes me remember my old E92 M3.

Shouldn't the tensioner be able to handle a 2cm change in belt size?

Old 09-17-2018, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mlebofsky
Shouldn't the tensioner be able to handle a 2cm change in belt size?
It will not. The double sided belt need is a DK080568. The single sided is a K080575.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:29 PM
Received 822 Likes on 467 Posts

The Gates K080575HD belt is 57.5". There are 25.4mm per inch, so the correct length is 1460.5mm. We specced the belts at 1460mm. The measurement method is the center of the belt, with the double sided grooves it won't lay flat in the same way the single does, so if you lay them back to back the double sided will appear to be longer.

Our first run of 66 belts came in QC at an average length of 1468mm. That's an average. The longer of these have seen a couple slip over 5800RPM.

Our second run of 134 belts came in at an average length of 1464.5mm. So far there doesn't appear to be slippage from this run. I've checked several belts, even from the first production run and none of them were 2cm longer than the Gates belt.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Whitefpace (09-22-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 02:10 AM

Seems like I got one of the longer belts. Stuart is sending me a new belt so let's see it that fixes it

Old 10-22-2018, 08:14 AM

Kudo's to Stuart for sending me a new belt! I'll be properly testing it this weekend and then report back

baldguy (10-22-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 12:01 AM

Did you put in the new belt?

Old 11-06-2018, 02:21 AM

Did you put in the new belt?
I did, and the high RPM belt slip seems to be gone.

I now have an idler pulley squeak when cold starting the car... It goes away as soon as the car is up to temp, but it's obviously an early warning that the idler is on the way.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:40 AM
Veteran Member

I now have an idler pulley squeak when cold starting the car... It goes away as soon as the car is up to temp, but it's obviously an early warning that the idler is on the way.
Nothing wrong with the idler pulley. Mine's been doing that for 2.5 years (since installation). Only occurs when it's less than 65 degF outside, and only until the belt warms up.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:42 AM
Veteran Member

Nothing wrong with the idler pulley. Mine's been doing that for the 2.5 years since installation (new idler). Only occurs when it's less than 65 degF outside, and only until the belt warms up. But this is with a one sided pulley and smooth idler. I thought reverting back to a 2 sided belt would resolve this matter. Maybe not.

Last edited by Unhingd; 11-06-2018 at 02:45 AM.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:55 AM

what belt did you put second time, a double sided belt or the green one sided one?

Old 11-08-2018, 07:00 AM

what belt did you put second time, a double sided belt or the green one sided one?
The new version replacement QA'd double sided one.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve had sort of the same problem with my VAP tune/decats/pulley. Where as it looses power when u hit redline, and it goes into limp mode. Due to the misfires I’m working with my shop in trying to get 1 step colder spark plugs and new ignition coils.
Velocity AP does sell 1 step colder spark plugs btw.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:29 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure if this in the same region of belt slip but my crank pulley belt is shredded (currently waiting for flatbed). I got the The crank pulley upgrade on my v6 and I wanna believe it was the right belt from vap per vin provided but any thoughts on where to go from here, is this belt something I can buy local or is it a custom belt?

Quick Reply: VAP tune and pulley - Belt slipping