Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP Exhaust Development Jaguar F-Type V8S, V8R, V6 & V6S

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
That’ll just get worse with the sport cats.
Eww yuck. So how does one fix this? Is it the factory V8 muffler causing this? I'm curious as to what your car sounds like with the VAP muffler.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:41 PM
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 467 Posts

Touring, sport & race in that order of loudness. I’d offer up a clip of my exhaust, but I installed a V8 quad exhaust Valvetronic on my V6, so it would not be a good example of the V6 dual exhaust Valvetronic.
Lance, go ahead and post away. Although your exhaust is the V8 Version (on a V6), it has the same center muffler and really the only significant differences are couple different bends in the tube. It will sound virtually identical to the V6 version on a V6.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 06-21-2019, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Lance, go ahead and post away. Although your exhaust is the V8 Version (on a V6), it has the same center muffler and really the only significant differences are couple different bends in the tube. It will sound virtually identical to the V6 version on a V6.
OK...I'll grab some recordings and post.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:22 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
A clip of the v6 touring or sport versions with the stock cats in place would be great too if anyone has it!

The following users liked this post:
Jaggyx (06-21-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 06:21 AM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2.0L

The same for the 2.0L please

[/QUOTE]

Old 08-14-2019, 04:26 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Finally got my v6 ‘sport’ vap exhaust installed!! Here’s a teaser clip until I can get some better ones showcasing a few different scenarios. We absolutely love the way this sounds on our auto v6 base without valves, stock tune, stock midpipes and cats. I can now hear the exhaust when driving with the top down and wind blowing, which helps when shifting since I like to drive in manual mode most of the time. It’s just loud enough to **** off the neighbors if you feel like being obnoxious, but can also drive “normally” to avoid the dirty looks if needed lol.

Stuart and team truly delivered with this product, I strongly recommend it!

You have to listen to this clip (and others here) on a decent home audio system that includes a sub in order to get a good representation of what it truly sounds like in person. The clips will sound like crap on your phone speakers, headset or desktop speakers.

KarimEls (08-16-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 09:02 AM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I've several 1/4 mile passes at 12.91-12.99s V6S stock. Goal is under 12.5s with the VAP tune/pulley, feasible?

Last edited by Miauuu; 09-06-2019 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Miauuu
I've several 1/4 mile passes at 12.91-12.99s V6S stock. Goal is under 12.5s with the VAP tune/pulley, feasible?
I would think that another 70hp should make that possible.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:42 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Can't wait for VAP's Black Friday specials to post quarter mile runs pre/post tune/pulley. Quarter mile calculators agree on 0.7s improvement, that would be awesome (comparing 380 vs 450hp).

Old 09-06-2019, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

Just got mine (V6 S) back yesterday with the VAP touring (quad) exhaust, pulley, and tune on. Power wise it is like my 5.0 XKR was, but heaps easier to handle. It is breaking traction in first, second, and third even with the MPSS's on. But it isnt stupid to drive, trotting around is easy, it is only when you give it a squirt that it goes wild, but the back isnt flicking out like the XKR would, it is staying in line. I actually didnt realise how much difference it was making until I saw the dts light up while I was going through the gears. Really impressed with that, it is heaps of improvement with no drawbacks that I can see so far save that I dont think I should get too attached to my rear tyres.

The exhaust is insane. On start up it is much deeper and a burble, like a smallish bore V8. Driving it, it is very loud in moderate acceleration even in quiet mode, enough to make it hard to hear the phone and it drowns out most of the supercharger whine. Cranking it up in second and third (or fourth on the highway) is just wicked, I'm a little concerned that the police might pull it over because it is so loud but it sounds beautiful and rich, less raspy and more bassy. I think part of the reason it is so much louder is that the outlets are off to the side closer to your window, but it is just phenomenal. Cruising is very quiet, zero drone. I havent tried the loud button yet, I dont think I need it any more!

Old 09-06-2019, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Just got mine (V6 S) back yesterday with the VAP touring (quad) exhaust, pulley, and tune on. Power wise it is like my 5.0 XKR was, but heaps easier to handle. It is breaking traction in first, second, and third even with the MPSS's on. But it isnt stupid to drive, trotting around is easy, it is only when you give it a squirt that it goes wild, but the back isnt flicking out like the XKR would, it is staying in line. I actually didnt realise how much difference it was making until I saw the dts light up while I was going through the gears. Really impressed with that, it is heaps of improvement with no drawbacks that I can see so far save that I dont think I should get too attached to my rear tyres.

The exhaust is insane. On start up it is much deeper and a burble, like a smallish bore V8. Driving it, it is very loud in moderate acceleration even in quiet mode, enough to make it hard to hear the phone and it drowns out most of the supercharger whine. Cranking it up in second and third (or fourth on the highway) is just wicked, I'm a little concerned that the police might pull it over because it is so loud but it sounds beautiful and rich, less raspy and more bassy. I think part of the reason it is so much louder is that the outlets are off to the side closer to your window, but it is just phenomenal. Cruising is very quiet, zero drone. I havent tried the loud button yet, I dont think I need it any more!
Now you're living my life. Talk about finding the sweet spot. Shed 80lbs from the wheels and rotors and it gets even sweeter. (You may be part way there with the Vorsteiners)

And yes, I never use the loud button anymore. You want the valves open, just hit the throttle.

Last edited by Unhingd; 09-06-2019 at 07:01 PM.
BruceTheQuail (09-06-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member

Cheers, well I dont like to copy but they do say that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery and I'm very grateful for your guidance and that of Oz (and others, if I have forgotten anyone) in this project. But dont worry, I wont change my user name to "Downunder-hingd"...

DJS (09-09-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member

Argh! Driving around enjoying the "new" car then there was a crackly noise which lasted 20 seconds or so then stopped. Car was fine after that but has lost power, when I put my foot down in full auto mode it revs then changes down a few gears but nothing amazing going on. I suspect the belt is fried, have to wait for Monday to get mechanics to look...

Edit - now that the engine is cool I could check - the belt is off

Last edited by BruceTheQuail; 09-06-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

Argh! Driving around enjoying the "new" car then there was a crackly noise which lasted 20 seconds or so then stopped. Car was fine after that but has lost power, when I put my foot down in full auto mode it revs then changes down a few gears but nothing amazing going on. I suspect the belt is fried, have to wait for Monday to get mechanics to look...

Edit - now that the engine is cool I could check - the belt is off
Before replacing the belt, consult with VAP to determine whether they sent the right pulley. There are two versions with slightly different offsets depending on the production date of the car. The belt will be misaligned with the wrong one and will fail.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

Cheers, is the car drivable with the belt off?

Old 09-06-2019, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member

Cheers, is the car drivable with the belt off?
It may run excessively rich. I don’t know how much the ecu can adjust the fuel mixture to compensate for the lack of boost. Could overload the cats and burn them up. I wouldn’t drive it that way for too long.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member

Sweet, only 5km or so to the workshop on Monday morning should be OK, but I will try to get the belt out first as it might get stuck in something

Old 09-06-2019, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member

Sweet, only 5km or so to the workshop on Monday morning should be OK, but I will try to get the belt out first as it might get stuck in something
That’ll definitely be ok. Just keep engine speed at the lower end of the range. Also have the shop ascertain the alignment of the upper pulley with those of the lower pulley.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member

Lol, it was running so well too. My missus had said there was a ticking sound this morning and I ignored her, she has an uncanny knack of knowing when something is amiss, pretty much 10/10, I used to call her "the engine whisperer". But she loses cred when she continually mentions that a car needs a "tune up" when it isnt running right.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Before replacing the belt, consult with VAP to determine whether they sent the right pulley. There are two versions with slightly different offsets depending on the production date of the car. The belt will be misaligned with the wrong one and will fail.
Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago - wrong pulley - although it was a Eurotoys pulley and belt (but still a Gates belt) not a VAP pulley, I have some detailed posts about it around here somewhere.
I didn't run the car with the wrong pulley though, the mechanic who fitted it pulled me over straight away to show me that it just wasn't right and after some discussion I agreed to put the stock one back on.
The pulley was sitting "in" (closer to the engine) about 3 mm more than it should be which caused the belt to fit one rib "out". The belt was also about 15 mm longer than it should have been such that the only way to get enough tension on it was to have the belt tensioner "all the way out" with no slack absorbing adjustment left.
So Bruce it could have been one or either or both of these problems that caused your belt to slip off which means you should check with VAP not just for the right pulley but also for the right belt.
From memory the correct VAP pulley depends on which OEM pulley you have, my OEM pulley is silver and the other later version is black, so fish out your old OEM pulley (if you still have it!) and tell VAP what colour it is.

Quick Reply: VelocityAP Exhaust Development Jaguar F-Type V8S, V8R, V6 & V6S