Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP F-Type Lowering Springs Product Launch

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 09:53 AM
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Timbo
If their coming from the uk if us guys from here order them do they have to go to the us before you can despatch them, hence costing us a lot in delivery!!
Hi Timbo,

We're actually a UK-based company, that's where our exhaust factory & offices are. I'm currently working out a couple of options on logistics, but it is very likely that we will hold some stock in the UK, so you would only have to pay domestic delivery costs.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 11-15-2014, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

I think they're actually manufactured in Australian from what I remember Stuart saying...

Old 11-16-2014, 03:25 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Thanks for replying Stuart, do you know how long it will be before you have stock over here, i'd like to order a set shortly.

Cheers

Tim

Old 11-17-2014, 03:29 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Timbo
Thanks for replying Stuart, do you know how long it will be before you have stock over here, i'd like to order a set shortly.

Cheers

Tim
Hi Tim,

We have inventory completed. We're just booking passage, they are coming in bulk via Sea Freight most likely, so probably 4 weeks or so. If our air freight agents come through with a cracking rate possibly sooner.

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-16-2015, 11:38 AM
Sponsor

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick update - our container has cleared customs after some delays involving X-Raying of foodstuffs shipped in the same container!

We now have lots of stock available for immediate dispatch, email me at Stuart@VelocityAP.com and snap them up before they are gone!

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-16-2015, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 293 Likes on 233 Posts

Stuart,

Are the springs for the R the same for the 2015 RWD and the 2016 AWD? I ask because I was told the very slight added weight caused the 2016 front springs to be 10% stiffer...

Old 04-16-2015, 01:33 PM
Received 390 Likes on 207 Posts

Is there anyway you can provide technical data? Overall spring length? Spring rates?

Your drop seems small enough where getting the car aligned after the springs have settled shouldn't be an issue. Can you confirm that?

Old 04-16-2015, 03:19 PM
Sponsor

As posted in the other thread, I suspect you should be okay without an alignment but it's not a bad idea to check. This is a lot different to dropping a car 2".

Spring data I'm not at liberty to provide, but since these are TRUE progressive springs, there is not a fixed ft/lb or nM/cm measurement across the entire spring. The rate would depend upon the level of compression.

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-16-2015, 05:14 PM

I don't want to start a debate..but there is bound to be a range that the spring rates are engineered. Just about every other manufacturer publishes their spring rates whether they are progressive or fixed and that data that is important to some buyers.

For example. Eibach spring rates are lower in the front then the rear for a Honda s2000. Honda OEM springs rates (depending on model year) are reversed. On some cars, it made the car tend to understeer while on some oversteer. How much of a change from OEM is important to some customers as that can change the dynamics of the car completely. But again how you run your business is up to you and if spring rates is something that you don't want to publish then thats certainly up to you.

Next was the question of alignment. I suspect that the small drop won't impact the alignment much but regardless I think its important that its known whether or not the factory alignment components have the tolerances to accomodate the drop. If they aren't, then owners need to explore other options such as getting camber plates, etc.

Shock dyno data relative to the spring itself would be useful as well. I've seen "progressive" spring rates still too aggressive for the OEM shocks and the car ends kangarooing on the road.

I'm not bashing your business practices but when I've dealt with companies such as Ohlins, Eibach and TEIN that publicly publish their data so I can make an informed decision as to whether or not their off the shelf products will work for me or if I need to go the custom route and VelocityAP isn't willing to disclose it, its a bit of a turn off as a consumer.

Last edited by WhiteTardis; 04-16-2015 at 05:26 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by WhiteTardis:
BierNut (04-16-2015), Dremorg (04-20-2015), TXJagR (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 05:53 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
I suspect that the small drop won't impact the alignment much but regardless I think its important that its known whether or not the factory alignment components have the tolerances to accomodate the drop.
Agreed. My number one question is whether anyone who has used these springs has been able to bring the alignment back within factory tolerances.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:22 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Have not looked closely at the suspension of the F-Type, but if it's anything like the other Jag models, with a 1" drop you would not have any issues with getting the front alignment sorted but the rear camber is not adjustable, the more you lower the car, the more negative camber you get, and there is no off-the-shelf fix for this.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
Have not looked closely at the suspension of the F-Type, but if it's anything like the other Jag models, with a 1" drop you would not have any issues with getting the front alignment sorted but the rear camber is not adjustable, the more you lower the car, the more negative camber you get, and there is no off-the-shelf fix for this.
+1. Also, the more aggressive you drive, the more negative you want the rear camber anyway.

Here is why it is fruitless to try to pin a spring manufacturer down on specs:Technical || H&R Special Springs, LP

Old 04-16-2015, 06:34 PM
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

Where do you guys all drive your cars? I must scrape the from of mine at least twice a day. I reckon it would be virtually Undrivable as a daily car around here if lowered.

The following users liked this post:
Polyesterpig (04-20-2024)
Old 04-16-2015, 07:16 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
+1. Also, the more aggressive you drive, the more negative you want the rear camber anyway.
To a point, but too much negative camber on the rear you don't get the whole footprint of the tyre in firm contact with the road surface. Can lead to traction problems.

Considering how many people reckon the F-Type is tail-happy, i'm not sure more negative camber is what you need.

I would like to see a solution to adjust the rear camber, not just on the F but all the late model Jags, at least then it gives you the ability to adjust it how you want.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
To a point, but too much negative camber on the rear you don't get the whole footprint of the tyre in firm contact with the road surface. Can lead to traction problems.
Agreed. On my Production and Sedan racers (high CG like the F-Type) we typically found a negative rear camber of about 2.0-2.5 degrees to provide the most traction with a g-force analyzer. Most street cars aren't that aggressive, but checking the F-Type specs, Jag does indeed specify a range of -0.8 to-2.3 which is a relatively wide range. I will be installing the H&R springs (1.2" lowering), and was certainly planning on realigning the car and even removing the springs if they create an unacceptable alignment.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
Where do you guys all drive your cars? I must scrape the from of mine at least twice a day. I reckon it would be virtually Undrivable as a daily car around here if lowered.
If it ain't scraping, it ain't low enough. Those bits that are scraping can be easily replaced periodically when the edges start looking too ratty. On the F-type, reducing ride height by 1" will reduce roll by at least 8 percent.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:12 PM

You guys have to realize that its not all camber that destroys your tires. A large part of it is toe as well.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:13 PM
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
If it ain't scraping, it ain't low enough. Those bits that are scraping can be easily replaced periodically when the edges start looking too ratty. On the F-type, reducing ride height by 1" will reduce roll by at least 8 percent.
Yes but lowering it will mean it is not the plastic under piece that will scrape but the actual front lip.

Andi ibviously don't push mine hard enough because it feels totally flat and planted through corners virtually no roll. 8% of virtually nothing is as near to 0 difference as you can get.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:31 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
I don't want to start a debate..but there is bound to be a range that the spring rates are engineered. Just about every other manufacturer publishes their spring rates whether they are progressive or fixed and that data that is important to some buyers.

For example. Eibach spring rates are lower in the front then the rear for a Honda s2000. Honda OEM springs rates (depending on model year) are reversed. On some cars, it made the car tend to understeer while on some oversteer. How much of a change from OEM is important to some customers as that can change the dynamics of the car completely. But again how you run your business is up to you and if spring rates is something that you don't want to publish then thats certainly up to you.

Next was the question of alignment. I suspect that the small drop won't impact the alignment much but regardless I think its important that its known whether or not the factory alignment components have the tolerances to accomodate the drop. If they aren't, then owners need to explore other options such as getting camber plates, etc.

Shock dyno data relative to the spring itself would be useful as well. I've seen "progressive" spring rates still too aggressive for the OEM shocks and the car ends kangarooing on the road.

I'm not bashing your business practices but when I've dealt with companies such as Ohlins, Eibach and TEIN that publicly publish their data so I can make an informed decision as to whether or not their off the shelf products will work for me or if I need to go the custom route and VelocityAP isn't willing to disclose it, its a bit of a turn off as a consumer.
The Spring we make for the F-Type have a range from 500-1000lb/in. The unique manufacturing method means that if you were to plot the spring rate on a graph, as compared to say, an H&R 'dual rate' spring, which would be at one spring rate and then suddenly jump up to another, our springs would show a much smoother line as spring rate increases in a linear fashion.

The 'Kangarooing' you describe is something that I know well. I used to sell a lot of H&R Springs for the V8 Vantage, and a lot of people loved the drop but complained about the 'pogo' effect. What you're seeing there is a sudden compression which would put the spring into a much higher rate section, without the damping strength to compensate, particularly on rebound. So the spring would fire the wheel assembly back out, and it it would take 2-3 cycles or 'bounces' to settle.

This is the exact reason we went into the spring supply business with Velocity with unique products. We wanted to offer a true progressive spring, with a reasonable drop that allowed some aesthetic and performance benefits but worked within the engineering constraints of the existing suspension geometry and damping.

If you read Vic's posts about these springs (and I think he is a good and experienced judge) you will see that the designs we have put out have accomplished this pretty well, and really do offer the best of both worlds.

Our Vantage Springs achieved the same - my customer who did the initial testing had done a lot of track time, had also run his Vantage with OEM and H&R Springs and said he hit his usual trouble spots around town and the car handled them in a much, much more settled manner.

The beauty of this design is you can get all that, but still not get your fillings shaken looks every time you drive down a bumpy side road.

www.velocityap.com

Old 01-30-2018, 06:33 PM
Sponsor

Hello Everyone,

Been a while since we posted about these springs, but since someone was running around saying that we just re-badge Eibach products, and since we were shipping a set today I thought it was worth resurrecting.

We've now sold over 200 vehicle sets of the FType versions, as well as having XE, a complete line for Aston, Mclaren 570, Audi R8 and Lambo Huracan/LP Series Gallardo.

We're often asked why these are unique? The most important feature of the construction is the Tapered Coil. If you look at the thickness of the rod that makes up the spring, you will notice that it is thicker at one end of the coil than the other. The FType springs are harder to see this, but it's much more obvious on these Huracan Springs:

These springs are made for us under private label by a company in Australia, who is the only manufacturer in the world who produces this type of spring. Their market is completely different for ours, so VelocityAP is the only company in the world using this technology to create a TRUE progressive spring rate.

What does it mean in the real world? Phenomenal ride quality. Normally, dropping ride height and reducing body roll has a negative effect on ride quality, but we're very pleased to say that we constantly get feedback from customers on how great the ride quality is:

www.velocityap.com

Quick Reply: VelocityAP F-Type Lowering Springs Product Launch