Sponsored by:

VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type High Flow 200 Cell Sport Catalysts + Downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 10:22 AM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Question for Timbo

Originally Posted by Timbo
Mine made about 20-25 hp with vaps cats and new tune.
Hey Timbo,
I'm guessing you kept the stock exhaust cans, yes?
How different does the exhaust sound now that you have the sport cats. Any way we can hear your cars exhaust sound, maybe a video sound clip please.

I am interested in making my car louder if it's feasible.

Old 06-03-2017, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubad2
Hey Timbo,
I'm guessing you kept the stock exhaust cans, yes?
How different does the exhaust sound now that you have the sport cats. Any way we can hear your cars exhaust sound, maybe a video sound clip please.

I am interested in making my car louder if it's feasible.
Louder is achievable with several different options. To my ear, though, none of them sound better than (or even as good as) the OEM set-up.

The following users liked this post:
UBI (06-05-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 01:05 PM
Banned
Default I agree .....

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Louder is achievable with several different options. To my ear, though, none of them sound better than (or even as good as) the OEM set-up.
I personally don't like the aftermarket exhaust sounds. I think the original exhaust sound's best. I just want the OEM exhaust sound to be louder, if possible.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:32 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Its def louder especially on cold start up lol
I did a track day last year and was told by some of the guys on it when they were in the pits and couldnt see my car out on track that it sounded like a race car.
Not sure if thats a good or bad thing lol

Old 06-04-2017, 05:17 PM
Banned
Default Request please...

Any chance of a sound clip.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty sold on these 200 cell cats already. A couple of questions im hoping Stuart can help with:

I would love to ultimately keep the stock x pipe and muffler and just have higher performance and an amplified stock exhaust sound (as others have also wished for) from these high flow cats. Adding these cats will improve the performance and increase the sound, but does anyone know at what point the stock muffler becomes a bottle neck on the whole system (with valves opened of course)?

i haven't seen the internal workings of the stock R muffler, but what kind of big horsepower numbers have these v8 f-types achieved with all the typical upgrades but keeping the stock mufflers?

thanks.
jon

Old 07-18-2017, 12:08 AM
Sponsor
Received 823 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by TunaRollz
Pretty sold on these 200 cell cats already. A couple of questions im hoping Stuart can help with:

I would love to ultimately keep the stock x pipe and muffler and just have higher performance and an amplified stock exhaust sound (as others have also wished for) from these high flow cats. Adding these cats will improve the performance and increase the sound, but does anyone know at what point the stock muffler becomes a bottle neck on the whole system (with valves opened of course)?

i haven't seen the internal workings of the stock R muffler, but what kind of big horsepower numbers have these v8 f-types achieved with all the typical upgrades but keeping the stock mufflers?

thanks.
jon
The stock muffler hasn't proven to be a bottleneck at all. Bear in mind the SVR is pushing 570ish, and we are running 650 with crank pulley & tune, all through stock exhaust systems.

At some point it might start to show some statistically significant restriction but I think you'd need upper and lower pulley and tune and possibly a 100 shot or a larger blower to start seeing that.

As exhaust gases travel further and further from the engine, they cool rapidly. A lot of heat is dissipated through the exhaust system and into the environment. With cooling comes a corresponding decrease in pressure.

Remember Bernoulli's law states that as fluid moves from higher pressure to lower pressure areas, the speed will increase. So as the gases dissipate heat along the length of the exhaust system they decrease pressure/volume and accelerate.

So by the time the rear muffler area is reached, pressure restriction is far less influential than it is for example in the header collector.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Pax (05-31-2019)
Old 07-18-2017, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
The stock muffler hasn't proven to be a bottleneck at all. Bear in mind the SVR is pushing 570ish, and we are running 650 with crank pulley & tune, all through stock exhaust systems.

At some point it might start to show some statistically significant restriction but I think you'd need upper and lower pulley and tune and possibly a 100 shot or a larger blower to start seeing that.

As exhaust gases travel further and further from the engine, they cool rapidly. A lot of heat is dissipated through the exhaust system and into the environment. With cooling comes a corresponding decrease in pressure.

Remember Bernoulli's law states that as fluid moves from higher pressure to lower pressure areas, the speed will increase. So as the gases dissipate heat along the length of the exhaust system they decrease pressure/volume and accelerate.

So by the time the rear muffler area is reached, pressure restriction is far less influential than it is for example in the header collector.
thanks so much for the well thought out reply, Stuart! When you get a chance can you pls PM me the best deal you currently can do for me on a set of these cats? 200 cell for my 2015 R (RWD). Shipped to 94538 CA.

thank you sir!
jon

Old 08-20-2018, 06:49 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone else that can provide input on a V6S? I want to keep the quality/refinement of the OEM sound but louder. I don't want any raspiness.

Last edited by Miauuu; 08-20-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:37 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Miauuu
Anyone else that can provide input on a V6S? I want to keep the quality/refinement of the OEM sound but louder. I don't want any raspiness.
I have a set of ceramic coated, RESONATED, 200 cell downpipes being made by Velocity to hopefully achieve a louder yet non raspy sound. RESONATED = 12", free flowing resonator added to each pipe after the cat.
This is for my SVR. I have the 200 cell pipes now, but I want it to be a little less raspy, especially when cold.

Last edited by mlebofsky; 08-20-2018 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:20 AM

To anyone who has replaced their downpipe (without taking it to someone else to install).
What's the best way to reach/tighten the bolt on the backside of the downpipe flange?

Mike L
2017 SVR

Old 09-08-2018, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

A universal joint on each end of a long extension worked for me.

Old 09-08-2018, 12:20 PM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by mlebofsky
I have a set of ceramic coated, RESONATED, 200 cell downpipes being made by Velocity to hopefully achieve a louder yet non raspy sound. RESONATED = 12", free flowing resonator added to each pipe after the cat.
This is for my SVR. I have the 200 cell pipes now, but I want it to be a little less raspy, especially when cold.
Very interested to hear how these work out for you and how they fit. I would like to add the performance of 200 cell cats, but am concerned that they are too raspy.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by MI-FType

Very interested to hear how these work out for you and how they fit. I would like to add the performance of 200 cell cats, but am concerned that they are too raspy.
I'll know in 1-2 weeks!

Old 09-08-2018, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MI-FType

In combination with headers, they were far too raspy for me, but mine were on a V-6.

Last edited by Unhingd; 09-08-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
In combination with headers, they were far too raspy for me, but mine were on a V-6.
Yes, but these will be "resonated" 200 cell downpipes ….

Old 09-08-2018, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mlebofsky
Yes, but these will be "resonated" 200 cell downpipes ….
That may make the necessary difference. Also the headers probably contributed to the raspiness as well.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:01 PM
Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts

Anyone with the 200 cells on a v8 can let me know if this introduces drone in the cabin with the valves closed? Also does it take away from the sound with the valves open? Thanks.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:35 PM

1. Drone in the cabin with the valves closed -= No, just a little louder
2. Valves open adds volume and a bit of edge/rasp

Pax (05-31-2019)
Old 02-29-2020, 08:36 AM
Pax
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello,

Would it be possible for VelocityAP to provide just straight downpipes, without catalysts? Also, will there have to be another ECU map compared to the one VelocityAP has developed for the 200-cell cats? Any other non-sound related things to consider? Will the power and torque figures be the same or different compared to the 200-cell cats?

Thanks,

Quick Reply: VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type High Flow 200 Cell Sport Catalysts + Downpipe