F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very hot cup holders and armrest

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 05:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Very hot cup holders and armrest

2016 F-type v6s Coupe RWD. Roughly 37K miles.

Have noticed an issue recently where the cup holders get extremely hot. To the point where the bottom of the cup holder is almost too hot to touch. As a result, the armrest and surrounding area gets pretty warm too. Have contacted the dealer and they say it is probably normal as they have not had other similar complaints. They said it is probably due to the 90+ degree weather we have been having. But I have concerns about the transmission/transmission tunnel. Waiting on a call back from a technician.

Has anyone else experienced such an issue? Any suggestions as to what could cause this?
Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
Jag17 (10-13-2023)
Old 06-04-2018, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

What work have you had done under the car? It sounds like one or more of the heatshields in the transmission tunnel are missing.

buckleya12 (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 06:05 PM

I just got the car about 2 weeks ago so none while I've owned the car, but based on service records it looks like only regular maintenance/service has been done.

I'll be sure to mention that to the technician, thanks!

Old 06-04-2018, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

That answer from the dealer is a poor response at best. Just because someone else hasn't reported an issue doesn't mean you don't have one. Your cup holder bottom shouldn't be almost to hot to touch unless you've wired it to be a hot plate or you are mistakenly in your 1963 Ford, and are using the transmission hump as a cup holder.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
That answer from the dealer is a poor response at best. Just because someone else hasn't reported an issue doesn't mean you don't have one. Your cup holder bottom shouldn't be almost to hot to touch unless you've wired it to be a hot plate or you are mistakenly in your 1963 Ford, and are using the transmission hump as a cup holder.
Haha agreed. Regardless, I will be taking it in for inspection to make sure. Hopefully when I hear back from the technician they will have a solution.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:59 PM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

I just got done driving the crap outta mine and the bottoms and sides of the cup holders are cool to the touch (had my wallet and phone in there).

Funny statement from the dealer: "probably normal as we have not had other similar complaints". Doesn't that mean, by definition, it is not normal?

The following 2 users liked this post by 15FTypeR:
buckleya12 (06-04-2018), J444G (10-15-2023)
Old 06-04-2018, 07:12 PM
Question

Originally Posted by 15FTypeR
I just got done driving the crap outta mine and the bottoms and sides of the cup holders are cool to the touch (had my wallet and phone in there).

Funny statement from the dealer: "probably normal as we have not had other similar complaints". Doesn't that mean, by definition, it is not normal?
Exactly! If I leave my wallet and phone in there, they come out nice and toasty.

Funny enough, technician just called me and said that it is completely normal. That it is just due to the design and proximity of the transmission to the center console even with the heat shields. Which doesn't really make sense to me. Aren't the heat shields supposed to stop this sort of thing from happening? I have never had anything like this on any of my previous cars. Their solution was "Just don't put cold drinks in the cup holders if the drink container isn't insulated". They said it is nothing to be concerned with...

Just weird its been fine the last 2 weeks and then the last couple days it appears. Wouldn't normal suggest that it happens constantly?

I am going to keep my eye on it and if it continues or get's worse I will take it in for inspection I guess. If anyone has experienced a similar thing I'd love to know what caused it for them or what their solution was. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:11 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Did you order the heat drink option with the climate package?

buckleya12 (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

I'll check mine as well but I'd call BS on the tech. Call him back and tell him (once you know for certain) that you checked with 2-5 other F-Type owners who do NOT have such an issue.

Did the F-Type come from this dealer or did it come from a different Jag dealer or a non-Jag dealer or did you buy it from an Auction, etc.

buckleya12 (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Buckingham
Did you order the heat drink option with the climate package?
That was the first thing I thought of, but as far as I am aware Jaguar didn't offer heated cup holders on the F Type (Please correct me if I am wrong). I believe the climate packages only included heated seats, steering wheel, mirrors and windshield for the heating options. I could very well be wrong though. If that is the case, I am going to feel very very stupid. However, the first thing I did when I first noticed the temperature change was look all around the center console for a switch incase there were heated cup holders, but did not find anything. I could definitely of missed something.

Does yours have a heated drink option?

Last edited by buckleya12; 06-04-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by ndabunka
I'll check mine as well but I'd call BS on the tech. Call him back and tell him (once you know for certain) that you checked with 2-5 other F-Type owners who do NOT have such an issue.

Did the F-Type come from this dealer or did it come from a different Jag dealer or a non-Jag dealer or did you buy it from an Auction, etc.
Thanks, that'd be great. And agreed. It just doesn't make sense. I am going to call another dealer tomorrow and see what they say. I got the car from a non-jag dealer. When I talked to the Jag dealer today they reviewed the service records with me and identified its last service was in fact at a Jag dealer at the end of March and nothing was noted on the records about a similar issue. Car has only been serviced at Jag dealers as well.

ndabunka (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 09:56 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

No but I got the special Jaguar tees that hold my ***** when I’m driving.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:37 PM

were you in stop-and-go traffic? i was moving, not stopped much.

buckleya12 (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 11:47 PM

were you in stop-and-go traffic? i was moving, not stopped much.
Yes, but nothing where I was stopped for too long. Nothing longer than your typical red light really. Was temporarily in park out-front of a friends house for a couple minutes waiting to pick them up (3 or 4 mins max). But driving habits aren't any different than the previous 2 weeks where I had no issues. I haven't been doing anything crazy with the car.

Stop and go traffic is a great thought, but besides some weekend canyon drives, the traffic really hasn't been much different between when I had no issue and now.

Last edited by buckleya12; 06-05-2018 at 12:38 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Buckleya12, you will find some forum members have quite a sense of humor, but usually reserved for those who are not new to forum, but not always.

Last edited by jaguny; 06-05-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:59 AM

Talked to another Jag dealer today. They double checked all service records and confirmed no work had been done around that area of the car. I mentioned heat shielding to them and they suggested the issue could be caused by something with the heat shielding around the exhaust. I will be taking it in for inspection in the next week or so. Will post an update once the car is inspected. Thanks everyone.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:06 AM

Part of the stereo is under and just aft of the armrest, and has a cooling fan. I doubt it would produce as much heat as you're describing though.

buckleya12 (06-05-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 11:06 AM

Part of the stereo is aft of the armrest, and has a cooling fan. I doubt it would produce as much heat as you're describing though.
Thats a good suggestion. I'll definitely get them to check that as well. You never know.
I'll check and see if it gets worse or better with the stereo on or off.

Old 10-13-2023, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Status? Having same issue

Originally Posted by buckleya12
2016 F-type v6s Coupe RWD. Roughly 37K miles.

Have noticed an issue recently where the cup holders get extremely hot. To the point where the bottom of the cup holder is almost too hot to touch. As a result, the armrest and surrounding area gets pretty warm too. Have contacted the dealer and they say it is probably normal as they have not had other similar complaints. They said it is probably due to the 90+ degree weather we have been having. But I have concerns about the transmission/transmission tunnel. Waiting on a call back from a technician.

Has anyone else experienced such an issue? Any suggestions as to what could cause this?
Thanks.
status? Having same issue

Old 10-14-2023, 08:11 AM
Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

I live in AZ and drive my car in almost 120 degree heat-cup holders and center console are not hot. You need to look into the issue deeper.

Quick Reply: Very hot cup holders and armrest