Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weak Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts
Default Weak Clutch

Now that I am beyond the 3,000 mile mark with the V6S MT, I'm starting to lay into it much harder. One bothersome observation and one concerning observation.
Bothersome: I can get to 60 as fast if not faster (5.2 sec) in my tuned R53 JCW than in the F-Type. Though the power to weight ratio is higher in the F-type, the low to midrange torque to weight ratio is higher in the Cooper, and the Cooper has a closer ratio gearbox.
Concerning: The clutch will not connect during a full throttle speed shift. You have to actually back off the throttle for it to quit slipping. Time to start looking around for a competition clutch that fits.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Now that I am beyond the 3,000 mile mark with the V6S MT, I'm starting to lay into it much harder. One bothersome observation and one concerning observation.
Bothersome: I can get to 60 as fast if not faster (5.2 sec) in my tuned R53 JCW than in the F-Type. Though the power to weight ratio is higher in the F-type, the low to midrange torque to weight ratio is higher in the Cooper, and the Cooper has a closer ratio gearbox.
Concerning: The clutch will not connect during a full throttle speed shift. You have to actually back off the throttle for it to quit slipping. Time to start looking around for a competition clutch that fits.
I realize that many here love tweaking this and that and that some of us are more "demanding" - in a good way - than others. It's your car and you deserve to have it your way. (Why am I craving a hamburger right about now? Why do I even know that that's an old tag line for a hamburger chain?). It's just a shame that Jaguar didn't get it right right out of the [gear] box for some of those more demanding and/or, dare I say, anyone? I've had several MT cars overs the years which were/are splendid and I didn't/wouldn't change a thing. I'm thinking, among others, my 1997 Acura NSX and my wife's 6-speed 2006 BMW 325xi. Of course, someone else might have (had) issues with either of those. I'm just one of those people who - without the tweaking, or more - would like to be in love (or lust) with my vehicle without making any alterations. I have tremendous respect - automotive and otherwise - for Lance (and others here) and maybe I wouldn't feel the same way about the MT F-Type, but it's always nice to hear universal praise about something many of us might desire (now or in the future) without additional work. Lance's posts probably will give some pause before taking the leap[er]. Some of us are simply lazy enthusiasts.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
I realize that many here love tweaking this and that and that some of us are more "demanding" - in a good way - than others. It's your car and you deserve to have it your way. (Why am I craving a hamburger right about now? Why do I even know that that's an old tag line for a hamburger chain?). It's just a shame that Jaguar didn't get it right right out of the [gear] box for some of those more demanding and/or, dare I say, anyone? .
The V6S MT is perfectly suitable and a hoot to drive in just about any road circumstances, but it's certainly not suitable for the quarter mile or road track. Most drivers will never notice these shortcomings.
The slipping clutch issue that we first heard about from some early reviews I was hoping could be attributed to flogged press vehicles. My car has been driven gently for the first 3000 miles, so the weak clutch should not have been expected (actually only 2200 miles since the clutch was replaced after the first one blew up). It's now 2 demerits for the clutch plate.

Jay,
Don't cry for me, Argentina. As an engineer, I would be hugely disappointed if I had a vehicle so perfect it required no modifications to further enhance a great driving experience. Both the torque and clutch issues are easily addressable. This is MY perfect car.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:14 AM
Veteran Member

P.S. IMO Jaguar got it right - very right - with their splendid AT. It's just sublime!

I get it (you) Lance, and happy you're happy. We're all different, and thankfully so.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:26 PM
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I realize that many here love tweaking this and that and that some of us are more "demanding" - in a good way - than others. It's your car and you deserve to have it your way. (Why am I craving a hamburger right about now? Why do I even know that that's an old tag line for a hamburger chain?). It's just a shame that Jaguar didn't get it right right out of the [gear] box for some of those more demanding and/or, dare I say, anyone? I've had several MT cars overs the years which were/are splendid and I didn't/wouldn't change a thing. I'm thinking, among others, my 1997 Acura NSX and my wife's 6-speed 2006 BMW 325xi. Of course, someone else might have (had) issues with either of those. I'm just one of those people who - without the tweaking, or more - would like to be in love (or lust) with my vehicle without making any alterations. I have tremendous respect - automotive and otherwise - for Lance (and others here) and maybe I wouldn't feel the same way about the MT F-Type, but it's always nice to hear universal praise about something many of us might desire (now or in the future) without additional work. Lance's posts probably will give some pause before taking the leap[er]. Some of us are simply lazy enthusiasts.
Try Frontiers in Brunswick, ME...great artisan burgers and they cater to F-type owners!

Old 09-17-2015, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 99Gsp
Try Frontiers in Brunswick, ME...great artisan burgers and they cater to F-type owners!
Well done Allen - although make my burger medium rare - and it's just Frontier. As good as that burger is/was, I had two out-of-this world lamb burgers last Saturday evening in Portland (at the Greek place I told you about) drizzled with a wine/butter reduction which put them over the top! Incredible. Next time you're here maybe?

With apologies to Lance for the thread highjack.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:13 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

I had two out-of-this world lamb burgers last Saturday evening in Portland (at the Greek place I told you about) drizzled with a wine/butter reduction which put them over the top!
Okay, now I'm craving a burger too! Particularly a lamb burger drizzled with a wine/butter reduction. Good grief, that sounds amazing!

Old 09-17-2015, 02:20 PM

Sounds like an f type meet up in Portland in the future....now let's unhijack this thread.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:37 PM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

99Gsp, what's your experience? Any issues with the clutch slipping?

Old 09-17-2015, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bret_T
99Gsp, what's your experience? Any issues with the clutch slipping?
I have less than 700 miles on it and haven't noticed anything yet. I've been driving a stick since 74 that was in my 260z..

Old 09-17-2015, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member

With apologies to Lance for the thread highjack.
None needed. This reminds me of the Firesign Theatre skit involving "And there's hamburger all over the highway in Mystic, Connecticut."

Old 09-17-2015, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

So, my dealer GM calls me today to let me know that they just took delivery of a new Caldera Red base manual convertible, and invited me to drive it tomorrow. Obviously, I'll be very respectful of a car with 4 miles on it, but I'm looking forward to assessing the shifter throws, clutch engagement point, and the overall experience for myself. I will not be testing for clutch slippage.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
So, my dealer GM calls me today to let me know that they just took delivery of a new Caldera Red base manual convertible, and invited me to drive it tomorrow. Obviously, I'll be very respectful of a car with 4 miles on it, but I'm looking forward to assessing the shifter throws, clutch engagement point, and the overall experience for myself. I will not be testing for clutch slippage.
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it - Oscar Wilde

or

Be careful what you wish for, you might get it - Oscar Wilde

Old 09-17-2015, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member

LOL, Jay . . . I'm about 99.999% certain I'll be driving home in the same Polar White F-Type I drove in with, unless he were to offer 15% off MSRP, and a killer trade-in deal on my car. It has been so flawless, I would be beyond foolish to tempt fate. I want to see some longer term experiences with the manual before considering a change. Hopefully, some of the shortcomings will be addressed, either by the aftermarket or factory.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member

LOL, Jay . . . I'm about 99.999% certain I'll be driving home in the same Polar White F-Type I drove in with, unless he were to offer 15% off MSRP, and a killer trade-in deal on my car. It has been so flawless, I would be beyond foolish to tempt fate. I want to see some longer term experiences with the manual before considering a change. Hopefully, some of the shortcomings will be addressed, either by the aftermarket or factory.
No, I'm quite sure you're never foolish; Fooshish, but not foolish. I too do not expect you to be capricious and drive home in a new F-Type (although anything is possible) - and we all know how perfect you've had it - but also knowing how much you enjoy and love a MT (never mind that that Caldera Red looks to be a sweet color, which you've already indicated you're enamored with)...well...I'm willing to take that other .001%.

Good luck buddy, will be interesting to get your assessment.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 09-17-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Beyond foolish? Talking about me again? I'm still committed to the F-Type as my sole car.

I'm coming up on 2000 miles now and have not had any clutch issues. It does have a vague engagement point, but is dramatically better than the clutch feel on my C30. I haven't sold it yet, but drove it the other day and was reminded of how much I disliked the clutch feel before I got used to it (resigned to it, really).

I drive fairly hard but not abusively. I do not "speed shift." That is, a shift is not a single movement of the gear lever. There are two distinct parts of the operation: coming out of one gear and going into the next. Since I'm not racing, the tenth of a second to let the synchro do its job doesn't bother me. I've rebuilt *many* Saab transmissions and understand how these things work.

Will the clutch hold up? Mine tend to last a very long time. Again, perhaps due to my years turning a wrench I have sympathy for the machine.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Beyond foolish? Talking about me again? I'm still committed to the F-Type as my sole car.

I'm coming up on 2000 miles now and have not had any clutch issues. It does have a vague engagement point, but is dramatically better than the clutch feel on my C30. I haven't sold it yet, but drove it the other day and was reminded of how much I disliked the clutch feel before I got used to it (resigned to it, really).

I drive fairly hard but not abusively. I do not "speed shift." That is, a shift is not a single movement of the gear lever. There are two distinct parts of the operation: coming out of one gear and going into the next. Since I'm not racing, the tenth of a second to let the synchro do its job doesn't bother me. I've rebuilt *many* Saab transmissions and understand how these things work.

Will the clutch hold up? Mine tend to last a very long time. Again, perhaps due to my years turning a wrench I have sympathy for the machine.
By "foolish" I simply mean, I currently own an F-Type I've had for 16 months that has been flawless in every way--no radio buzz or rattle, no strange warning messages, no no-start issues, no clunks in the rear, etc. etc. I've been driving exclusively manual sports cars for 42 years, and this auto is the first one I've ever owned in a sports car. Shockingly, I love the instant response of the paddles and find it very involving.

Nonetheless, I was pissed there was no manual when I decided I wanted an F-Type in early 2014. Naturally, there's a big part of me that would like to have the manual, but it's hard to dump a "perfect" car for one that may not be as bug free. Hence, am I being "foolish" to consider it?

That's all. I'm really glad to hear you're happy with it. I'd like to keep hearing even more happy reports, but there has been one very unlucky member with a manual here, who has perceived and reported numerous "shortcomings" even though he still loves the car.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

By "foolish" I simply mean, I currently own an F-Type I've had for 16 months that has been flawless in every way ...
I understood. I was trying to inject a little levity; something that frequently gets me in trouble.

Nonetheless, I was pissed there was no manual when I decided I wanted an F-Type in early 2014. Naturally, there's a big part of me that would like to have the manual, but it's hard to dump a "perfect" car for one that may not be as bug free. Hence, am I being "foolish" to consider it?
Yes, you probably are, but not in a way I can criticize. I too really like the auto in a way that surprised me, but I decided to wait. We'll see how that plays out in the long run.

That's all. I'm really glad to hear you're happy with it. I'd like to keep hearing even more happy reports, but there has been one very unlucky member with a manual here, who has perceived and reported numerous "shortcomings" even though he still loves the car.
It's always a risk on a "first year." I've taken that risk a few times and have been pretty lucky. (fingers crossed)

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by BierNut
Okay, now I'm craving a burger too! Particularly a lamb burger drizzled with a wine/butter reduction. Good grief, that sounds amazing..!
OK...now I want a burger!

Old 09-18-2015, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

Just back from my drive of the manual, so here's a list of random impressions. I drove a base coupe, since the convertible was on the showroom floor and only arrived a couple of days ago. The coupe had 500 miles on it. Caldera Red is gorgeous, but I think I still prefer Polar White.

- No question that the manual IS MORE FUN, if you love manuals as I do.
- After a couple of minutes, I felt instantly comfortable, able to shift smoothy and rev match
- Shifter throws are a little longer than I'd prefer, but not objectionable
- Clutch engagement point is a little vague, but again, no big deal once you get dialed in
- Much less popping and crackling than the auto on deceleration, but still there
- Shifting position is good, but I did hit one of the buttons on the console
- Acceleration didn't feel as quick, but I'm sure that's all due to sportier gearing of the 8 sp
- Despite the minor quibbles above, did I say the manual IS MORE FUN
- I'd love to have one and probably will at some point

Unrelated to the above, this was the first time I'd driven a coupe. Wow, you guys are right that the rear visibility just purely sucks, and I didn't appreciate that until today. The convertible rear visibility is at least 50-75% better and without the huge blindspots even with the top up. I now understand why the vision pack is almost essential in the coupe, but not so much in the convertible.

The Caldera base convertible MSRPed at $73K because it had Premium and Vision Pack, but the GM said I could have it for his listed invoice price ($69K). Trade quote was only 12% depreciation off the sales price of my 16 month old F-Type w/7K miles. However, I did get a good deal on my '14, which had been on the lot for 8 months at the time of purchase. He did say there was a big demand for CPO base cars, which I guess had something to do with it.

That's a decent deal, but not enough to make me jump.

Quick Reply: Weak Clutch