F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What I wish the F-Type had....

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 06:32 AM
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default What I wish the F-Type had....

I love my 2015 V8S F-type Convertible, but over the past summer found myself thinking there are several things the car SHOULD have at this price-point, but doesn't. I think I have just about every options except the heated windshield, but don't think these were options in 2015 but have been added to later MY. I realize some of this would add weight to already heavy car and likely be just another thing to break, but I can still wish. I have cheaper, older cars that have some of these options so it strikes me odd that they're not on a car like this. A few of these are convertible specific.

Perhaps too much idle time on my hands , but here's my short list nonetheless. Anyone else wish they had something that wasn't offered?

- Head-Up-Display
- Soft Close Doors
- Power Trunk for vert
- Cooled Seats (A/C)
- Heated Neck (Mercedes WindScarf concept)
- Glass Wind Deflector instead of screen
- Windows/Soft-Top functionality with remote key

Added---- Better Tires out of the factory, A real dipstick

Last edited by David Meier; 11-20-2019 at 06:08 AM.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:17 AM
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

I agree I think for a $100,000 a lot of these should be standard. The cooled seats are an option I wish I had but have become available in later years, (Mines a MY16). You can buy a smart top system so you can control the top with the key, thats a $500 add on from the aftermarket industry.

No heads up display as far as I know still, soft close doors aren't an option either I believe. Power trunk would be nice as its an option on the Coupe, but I see from a design standpoint how its harder on the Convertible. I love the car but I definitely agree thats its missing a lot of critical options, I know carplay is available now but wish the 16's could have it, same with Adaptive cruise control. Mine also claims to have automatic emergency braking but I've never seen it engage once throughout my ownership.

The following users liked this post:
David Meier (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 11:43 AM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

I have an early <10,000 '14 F, and was amazed at the lack of equipment when I got it CPO, but over time I have come to appreciate in some strange way the lack of equipment. There is a sort of elemental purity in the car that reminds me of my college day cars of long ago. I especially feel that way when I can't figure out how half the equipment on the new Benz works. However, I am constantly annoyed that there is no garage opener. Even today on a top F, JLR charges $260 for an item that should be standard equipment.

I have a 04 V70R in the garage that is better equipped. Complete with active chassis.

The following 2 users liked this post by Suaro:
Chawumba (11-19-2019), David Meier (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 11:46 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,399 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Originally Posted by David Meier
- Cooled Seats (A/C)
Seat cooling (and heating) is done by Peltier cells, not A/C.

David Meier (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by StormtrooperFtype
I agree I think for a $100,000 a lot of these should be standard. The cooled seats are an option I wish I had but have become available in later years, (Mines a MY16). You can buy a smart top system so you can control the top with the key, thats a $500 add on from the aftermarket industry.

No heads up display as far as I know still, soft close doors aren't an option either I believe. Power trunk would be nice as its an option on the Coupe, but I see from a design standpoint how its harder on the Convertible. I love the car but I definitely agree thats its missing a lot of critical options, I know carplay is available now but wish the 16's could have it, same with Adaptive cruise control. Mine also claims to have automatic emergency braking but I've never seen it engage once throughout my ownership.
MY16 models never had auto braking.

David Meier (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 03:40 PM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

An oil pressure gauge!

David Meier (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 03:52 PM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
MY16 models never had auto braking.
Was this a reference to braking as used by adaptive cruise control or as I interpreted EBA
Emergency brake assist which I think my UK MY16 has if not mistaken.

This operates when brakes are applied by driver in a sudden, energetic and very firm manner that is interpreted by system as an emergency situation, the system will then aid braking force up to maximum brake force (abs limit), think it's standard practice at least on European models that when this is actuated the hazard light are switched on.

First experienced this in 2008 in a Ford, brakes hard and surprised to see hazard flashers actuated automatically. Answer was in owners manual.

My missed convenience feature, that's available in some Jaguars with the same infotainment system is voice control of audio, navigation, climate etc. Again this feature was available and worked well on a 2008 Ford Focus costing 20% of V8 R

Old 11-19-2019, 04:07 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,399 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_59
My missed convenience feature, that's available in some Jaguars with the same infotainment system is voice control of audio, navigation, climate etc. Again this feature was available and worked well on a 2008 Ford Focus costing 20% of V8 R
Of course, you'd have to shout to overcome the exhaust pops and crackles!

The following 2 users liked this post by scm:
David Meier (11-19-2019), xrix4096 (11-20-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,273 Likes on 877 Posts

I dont know if I HUD would work in the F Type because you are sitting low and would be looking straight at it which would be mega distracting. And to some extent it wouldnt be necessary as the digital speedo is at the top of the cluster so you dont really have to look far to see it.

In the XE on the other hand the digital speedo is at the bottom of the cluster and you are sitting a bit higher so the HUD works really well. I have found though in the 2020 XE the HUD has quite a bit of information in it especially when the NAV is engaged, so it does get into your sight line a bit, i.e. when you are looking at it, the information is quite a bit higher then the bonnet. You can adjust them down, or jack your seat up, but I prefer to sit low like Squidward.

David Meier (11-20-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,138 Likes on 2,312 Posts

An old fashioned manual dipstick!
(other than the one sat behind the steering wheel that is)

The following 6 users liked this post by OzXFR:
Chawumba (11-19-2019), David Meier (11-20-2019), fujicoupe (11-20-2019), Lani Kai (11-30-2019), malbec (11-20-2019), Mbourne (11-19-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-19-2019, 05:50 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

ODB plug and play HUDs are $40 to $50 on Amazon.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:23 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

for the design era, 360 camera and radar cruise

hud is a wotam, have it on my f80 m3 and never use it, at night it's a distraction - when you turn it off, all the nav, radio etc appears in the cluster which is much better solution

Old 11-19-2019, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,155 Likes on 1,321 Posts

Good grief! It's a good thing that this thread doesn't refer to a Porsche given that the issue seems to be price vis-a-vis available options.

David Meier (11-20-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_59
Was this a reference to braking as used by adaptive cruise control or as I interpreted EBA
Emergency brake assist which I think my UK MY16 has if not mistaken.

R
i’m not certain I see the point of such a feature. I’ve never had an issue on any car being able to lock the brakes with a firm foot plant unless the ABS interceded.
Maybe a feature designed for little old ladies?

xrix4096 (11-20-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,138 Likes on 2,312 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
i’m not certain I see the point of such a feature. I’ve never had an issue on any car being able to lock the brakes with a firm foot plant unless the ABS interceded.
Maybe a feature designed for little old ladies?
From the Owner Manual:

EMERGENCY BRAKE ASSIST (EBA)
If the driver rapidly applies the brakes, EBA
automatically boosts the braking force to its
maximum, in order to bring the vehicle to a halt
as quickly as possible.
EBA stops operating as soon as the brake pedal
is released.

I doubt it would work for a little old lady as she probably couldn't hit the whoa pedal hard enough to invoke it!
But I agree it sounds fairly useless to me.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,273 Likes on 877 Posts

I checked it online, apparently it was introduced because people dont tend to hit the brakes hard enough in an emergency. Quite interesting. https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-adv...t-or-eba-70744

My missus' XE has low and high speed autonomous braking. She tells me that it activated when someone pulled out in a car park, hopefully that was the low speed in that case otherwise we might have to have "a discussion". I have no issue with that kind of nanny system, having had kids in the back of my cars over the years I can understand how one can be distracted.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:21 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

i had an incident couple weeks back where the autonomous thing saved me from having an accident in my m3

was travelling along a single lane road at the draconian 40km/h limit, cruise on because i didn't want to stray 1 kay over and have that monetary punishment ruin christmas presents

some crazy pensioner just slams on the brakes in front of me and comes to a complete stop in middle of road to let some joggers cross road - about 50m from an actual crossing because having to jogg a little further, well they weren't having it

was not expecting it, but mr autonomous was...or is that non gender binding autonomous

Last edited by domino_z; 11-19-2019 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:33 AM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

I love the F-Type.
I love the exotic sound of a fast and loud internal combustion engine that literally scares the next generation. I love the perfect 50/50 handling and balance. I love the firm but compliant ride. I love the fury of breaking the rear tires lose in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and even 5th. I love the best cup holders in automotive history. I love the cozy interior that makes me want to doze-off at traffic lights. I love the way it looks. I love the way it howls or roars though underpasses. I love the zero orange peel, telescope mirror paint. I love the six unique sounds you can learn to command with the pedal - (1) normal "quiet mode" rising harmony, (2) space reverberating hollow howl ~3200 RPM, (3) inspirational majestic cresendos, (4) vicious roar, (5) sustained decelerating gurgle, and (6) war zone. I love the convertible's rock solid chasis. I love the 30 mph covertible top solid build and that it takes 8 seconds to switch. Jag says 12 but its 8, and not even 8 secs really since the last third of travel is below the windshield and the side frame stowing isn't bothered by wind. I love that the car emerses you in exotic sound with the top down. I love that with an easy 630-650 HP tune it actually almost has enough power for me

It is as close to a perfect car as ever made.

What I don't like?
The transmission slams into park when I open the door to see better while parking. <--- That sucks! The paddles should be aluminum. The chromed plastic seat adjust buttons are starting to flake in places I can't even touch. The hood panel gaps above the front wheels are inconsistent. The rear speakers are mostly MIA. I would like a setting to keep the center vent up when the car shuts off to minimize wear. The driver screen needs to be 50% brighter in direct sun. The spoiler should have a stay-down mode for straight line performance. The rubberized interior coatings should be revised.

And my only two significant wishes - first, for a soft top material that didn't fray in symetrical patterns where the structure is rubbing, though it seems cosmetic so far. Wish two is mostly due to my preference for RWD, Michelin Sport Cup 2 tires as standard equipment.

Overall, 10 out of 10.

Last edited by RacerX; 11-20-2019 at 01:44 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RacerX:
David Meier (11-20-2019), djyankees31 (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I dont know if I HUD would work in the F Type because you are sitting low and would be looking straight at it which would be mega distracting. And to some extent it wouldnt be necessary as the digital speedo is at the top of the cluster so you dont really have to look far to see it.
I've gotten used to it in other cars and the height can be adjusted on the HUD. It would be nice to have the option. You can always just turn it off if it's distracting.

Old 11-20-2019, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by RacerX
ODB plug and play HUDs are $40 to $50 on Amazon.
Yep. But I guess my point was you shouldn't spend $80-$100K on a car and have to buy add-ons from Amazon.

Quick Reply: What I wish the F-Type had....