F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What you DON'T LIKE about your F Type

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 06:03 PM
Received 390 Likes on 207 Posts
Default What you DON'T LIKE about your F Type

There I did it. I let the cat out of the bag. But as much as you may love your car, I'm sure there are some quirks about it that you don't like. But this thread may also serve as a way of troubleshooting an issue if one owner is experiencing it and another owner has a fix.

It will be helpful if you state the year, model, engine and packages

I'll start.

2015 F Type Coupe Base/V6. Performance Seats, Premium Pack, Climate Pack.
-Clamshell hood: Looks cool but I dislike how I'm basically dry humping it to shut the hood.
-Stock "Sport Seats". They just look plain goofy next to the Performance Seats. We have a company V8S in our fleet and it has the Sport Seats.
-Glitchy audio system. I recently had to reformat some of my MP3 to 192kbps in order for the audio system to play them through the USB port via my thumbdrive
-Driver side seat belt loop on seat. I'm 6'3 so the hoop is actually lower than my shoulder so it causes my seatbelt to not provide the correct tension
-Not being able to see the front of the car due to the bulges in the hood. This is a preference. But due to the bulges in the hood, I can't see how close I am to a curb when I park nor can I accurately find the lines when I'm hugging the apex of a turn.
-Cheap horn sound when you confirm the car is locked. I like the soft chirp like Lexus or BMW. Again personal preference.
-NO LOCKING fuel filler cap. Enough said.
-NO coin tray
-Odd location of rear foglight switch

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteTardis:
buickfunnycar.com (03-05-2015), necoblitz (03-05-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Company V8S? I want to work for your company.

My only gripes (since I don't have the car yet - V6S 6sp):
1. JLR isn't accepting production orders yet for the 6 speed.
2. You have to order several thousand dollars worth of garbage in the premium pack to get the vision pack.
3. You can't get ceramic brakes with the 6 speed.

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-05-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 293 Likes on 233 Posts

I simply don't like that I have to wait until May to get it!

As for the fuel filler... the access to the fuel filler should be locked when the car is locked. (Or so that's that it sounded like in the manual I read. The cap itself doesn't lock, but you shouldn't be able to get to the cap if the car is locked.)

Last edited by TXJagR; 03-05-2015 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Company V8S? I want to work for your company.

My only gripes (since I don't have the car yet):
1. JLR isn't accepting production orders yet for the 6 speed.
2. You have to order several thousand dollars worth of garbage in the premium pack to get the vision pack.
3. You can't get ceramic brakes with the 6 speed.
Ahhh...you haven't figured out who I work for based on my other threads yet.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

For a car at this price, mine is fabulous and I don't have any concerns at all on a day to day basis.

2015 F type R with Italian Racing Red and Camel interior... pretty much all the options outside of pano roof and ceramics. Even the sound system is really good.

I did raise a minor issue awhile ago that I wished the rear spoiler could be manually dropped down for long highway cruising and that I could still get the open exhaust growl, but without the snaps and pops for when I am in an area sensitive to noise. However, these are not actual glitches and as far as I know other makes of cars that have these features also do not allow manual intervention.
Lawrence

Old 03-05-2015, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

My #1 gripe is that the car needs to go on a serious diet. With an aluminum body and chassis, there's no excuse for it weighing so much more than a C7 or 911.

EDIT: I wanted a car with no options and as light as possible, and I did the best I could with what was available.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-05-2015 at 06:32 PM. Reason: more info
The following users liked this post:
necoblitz (03-05-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 293 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
My #1 gripe is that the car needs to go on a serious diet. With an aluminum chassis and frame, there's no excuse for it weighing so much more than a C7 or 911.
Maybe it's all the glue and rivets. I watched the "how it's made" video and I was amazed that everything is GLUED and RIVOTED together...

Old 03-05-2015, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh
My #1 gripe is that the car needs to go on a serious diet. With an aluminum body and chassis, there's no excuse for it weighing so much more than a C7 or 911.
This is a given which is why I didn't bother listing it. I keep thinking how much weight could have been shaved off.

-No need for automatic up and down center vents
-No need for power seats. Manual seats alone already weigh a lot
-I can do without all the plastic covers in the engine bay
-Ditch the Eco Stop/Start and ditch its battery
-I can do without headlight washers

I can guarantee all that right there is about 300lbs right there.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
There I did it. I let the cat out of the bag. But as much as you may love your car, I'm sure there are some quirks about it that you don't like. But this thread may also serve as a way of troubleshooting an issue if one owner is experiencing it and another owner has a fix.

It will be helpful if you state the year, model, engine and packages

I'll start.

2015 F Type Coupe Base/V6. Performance Seats, Premium Pack, Climate Pack.
-Clamshell hood: Looks cool but I dislike how I'm basically dry humping it to shut the hood.
-Stock "Sport Seats". They just look plain goofy next to the Performance Seats. We have a company V8S in our fleet and it has the Sport Seats.
-Glitchy audio system. I recently had to reformat some of my MP3 to 192kbps in order for the audio system to play them through the USB port via my thumbdrive
-Driver side seat belt loop on seat. I'm 6'3 so the hoop is actually lower than my shoulder so it causes my seatbelt to not provide the correct tension
-Not being able to see the front of the car due to the bulges in the hood. This is a preference. But due to the bulges in the hood, I can't see how close I am to a curb when I park nor can I accurately find the lines when I'm hugging the apex of a turn.
-Cheap horn sound when you confirm the car is locked. I like the soft chirp like Lexus or BMW. Again personal preference.
-NO LOCKING fuel filler cap. Enough said.
-NO coin tray
-Odd location of rear foglight switch

Everything you mentioned was spot-on...especially not being able to see the edges of the car.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member

This is a given which is why I didn't bother listing it. I keep thinking how much weight could have been shaved off.

-No need for automatic up and down center vents
-No need for power seats. Manual seats alone already weigh a lot
-I can do without all the plastic covers in the engine bay
-Ditch the Eco Stop/Start and ditch its battery
-I can do without headlight washers

I can guarantee all that right there is about 300lbs right there.
Agreed, and that's what I was talking about, but I understand the reality of certain things like CAFE regulations (eco-mode). Every manufacturer now has to do stuff like that, or else go with an entire fleet of tiny engines. However, the severe diet would help that too.

I'm not bothered by the things on your original list, and I like the std. "sports seats" better. I find them extremely comfortable, and I'm 6'2" 180, but with broad shoulders and a long trunk. I found the "performance seats" crowding my shoulders, and causing me to hunch them forward.

I looked for and bought a car as stripped as I could find it. The only option was "climate pack," which can't add more than a couple of pounds.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:30 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

MY center vents just stopped working....Why my god a sports car has to have that gimmick vents other than to add a point of failure.

Last edited by jns2001; 03-05-2015 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jns2001
MY center vents just stopped working....Why my god a sports car has to have that gimmick vents other than to add a point of failure.
A bit gimmicky, yes. However, I like the clean dash design with them down, which one can comfortably do in a convertible quite often. I don't know where they could put the center vents otherwise and retain the same clean design.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:51 PM
Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

I love the "gimmicks" because it gives each Jaguar its unique flair. The XFR had the rotating vents, the XJ had the yacht like dash, and the F-Type has the rising vents and pop-up door handles. I love the theater of it.

Great cat but I don't like:

1. Climate control. It's inconsistent at holding a temperature and the sunlight sensor is way too sensitive. Sunlight = cold air in the cabin even on a cold day.

2. Road noise - I don't know if it's the tires or the lack of sound deadening but it's too loud.

3. No voice recognition. It's 2015 and my Chevy Equinox has it!

4. No adaptive cruise control

5. Rear camera resolution

Old 03-05-2015, 08:38 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Outdated nav and poor rear cam are my biggest complaints. I also wish I could have the new center gauge design that is coming on the MY16's.

I guess it would be nice if it was a couple hundred pounds lighter but I'm still satisfied with the performance overall.

Zero complaints on look and sound.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

Ahhh...you haven't figured out who I work for based on my other threads yet.
Tell me when pricing is gonna be released damnit!!! My 2016 is gonna be here in less than 2 weeks and I don't even know how much i'm paying!!!

Welcome to the forum!

Old 03-05-2015, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by XFactoR
I love the "gimmicks" because it gives each Jaguar its unique flair. The XFR had the rotating vents, the XJ had the yacht like dash, and the F-Type has the rising vents and pop-up door handles. I love the theater of it.

Great cat but I don't like:

1. Climate control. It's inconsistent at holding a temperature and the sunlight sensor is way too sensitive. Sunlight = cold air in the cabin even on a cold day.

2. Road noise - I don't know if it's the tires or the lack of sound deadening but it's too loud.

3. No voice recognition. It's 2015 and my Chevy Equinox has it!

4. No adaptive cruise control

5. Rear camera resolution
My experience with the Pirelli tires on other cars has been they get very noisy after just a few thousand miles.. the michelin pss on the other hand tend to be quieter.
Lawrence

Old 03-05-2015, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

My top 3:

1. The cross beam in the front grill. Think the front would look much better w/o it.
2. Infotainment system is from 1980
3. No fuel cap lock

alexg (03-07-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Tell me when pricing is gonna be released damnit!!! My 2016 is gonna be here in less than 2 weeks and I don't even know how much i'm paying!!!

Welcome to the forum!
To be honest...I haven't even heard of 2016 pricing being released yet

Old 03-05-2015, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

To be honest...I haven't even heard of 2016 pricing being released yet
Sooo... how is Jag going to sell the cars that have already arrived in Baltimore Harbor without setting prices? Sounds like the business office is asleep at the wheel.

BTW Stohlen, I'm right here. I'd be happy to pick yours up and personally deliver it to you. (Guaranteed 24 hour delivery anywhere in the lower 48).

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-05-2015 at 09:35 PM.
F-TypeRookie (03-07-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

Noisy Pirelli tires, a little hard to get in and out of for a person of a certain age(would still get performance seats again),agree its hard to see edges, and touch screen is a little slow.

Quick Reply: What you DON'T LIKE about your F Type