Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Of wheels, tires and offsets...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 08:41 AM
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Of wheels, tires and offsets...

Hi Guys,

I just bought a 2019MY F-type R with non-ceramic brakes (380mm Front and 376mm Rear - the big brakes but not the ceramic ones). It comes with 20-in wheels and I am wondering whether I could buy 19-in wheels for the winter.

I have seen many posts on this but am still unsure whether I get it; I have also spoken with 4 different dealers and received 5 different answers (literally, two different service guys in the same dealer gave me opposite answers!). Would welcome advice on the following:
1. Will 19-in OEM wheels work / clear the brakes?
2. Will 19-in aftermarket wheels work / clear the brakes?
3. Is there a need to “recalibrate” the engine software (whatever that means - it was what one of the dealers told me I would have to do) if I install 19-in wheels?

TireRack offers 19-in wheels for a SVR with non-ceramic brakes, but not for the R. Element Wheels show 19-in wheels for the R on their web site, yet the salespeople told me that would not work.

Thank you.
(Very Confused in New York).

Old 10-25-2018, 09:03 AM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi Brock,

I just went through the very same learning curve. I have written a detailed report that I will post after I get my 19" wheels' after-market powder-coating completed.

In the meantime:

Bottom line, yes, 19"s clear the 380mm steel brakes. I did test-fit them to make sure.

You'll go through a helluva learning curve regarding tire sizes and wheel offsets and finishes, next.

I highly recommend your winter rims are completely powder-coated, no exposed machined surfaces. (Winter road spray eats clear coat; powder coating holds up to it.)

More soon.

Warm regards,

Last edited by Forrest Keith; 10-25-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:16 AM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

What the hell; here's most of it:

Winter tires on dedicated rims for the F-Type AWD. Some recommendations.

I won’t take my F-Type out into fresh or falling snow, but I will happily exploit its all-wheel-drive rain/ice/snow mode to take it out onto plowed roads -- including over ice and slush.

I live in The Minneapple.

We. Get. Snow.

And Ice.

And Slush.

Before I go on, I want to give a shout-out of gratitude to Unhingd of JaguarForums.

He helped me a number of times through this learning curve.

Thanks again, Unhingd.

The OEM summer tires on the ’16 R are 255-35-20s front, and 295-30-20s rear.

The OEM 20” wheels’ widths are 9” front, and 10.5” rear.

The R’s steel brake discs are 380mm front, 376mm rear.

(The SVR uses 9.5” and 11” wide rims. And for reference, F-Type R offsets are 55 in front and 38 in back; I don’t know if the SVR has different offsets, but the bolt pattern of all F-Types is 5 x 108.)

Winter tires should be narrower -- to cut through slush. And of course the rubber compound and tread should be designed for winter conditions. Those changes make for an unbelievable difference in winter drivability.

Since narrower perform so much better, make them the same size front and back and thereby get the bonus of being able to rotate your winter tires.

Therefore, I strongly recommend dedicating some after-market rims to your winter wheels – not only for size, but also for how well their finish holds up to winter road-spray. More on rims below.

For tires:

I recommend one size narrower than the front OEMs. Go with 245s. Then, go one size taller and go to 19” rims, for even taller sidewalls. 245-45-19s. This will deliver not only better traction through slush, it will also make for a smoother ride over winter roads.

(19” wheels fit over the R’s steel brakes, even the larger, 380mm ones; they don’t fit over the optional carbon ceramic brakes. Those require 20s.)

(Correct me if my math is wrong: 245-45-19s are 0.7” taller than OEM. That’s an increase of the tire diameter by 2.59%. So when the speedometer reads 65, your actual speed will be 67 mph.)

I was happy to learn that my favorite tires for plowed winter roads are available in that size. I like Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2s. Fantastic ice and slush tires. I believe they are the state-of-the-art. (Wonderful technology of ‘crystals’ blended throughout the rubber that function like molded-in studs.) I’ve put that tire on my SUVs for years; it performs miraculously on ice and it cuts through slush with control and stability, as promised:
$375

For rims:

Over the years, I’ve learned to use dedicated rims for Minnesota winters. They should be completely powder-coated, no machined surfaces or edges, no clear-coat. Winter roads eat clear-coat. Powder-coating holds up.

I. Shopped. Rims.

Hard.

More on that below, but here’s a recommendation:

For an inexpensive aftermarket rim that has a finish that will hold up and still looks good, TSW makes a few. Some black, some silver. Priced under $300. (2018) A few different offsets. More on offsets, below.

Spacers for the rears:

This set-up with rear wheels as narrow as the fronts results in those rear wheels’ faces mounting an inch-and-a-half inboard of the fronts. Too far inside the rear fenders. Fugly. So, get spacers for the rears – technically hub-centric adapters – an inch-and-a-half thick, to bring them out to the fenders to match the fronts’ stance. $140 for a pair of them custom-made, black anodized. From Motorsport Tech, 280 S Rock Blvd, Ste 100,Reno, Nevada 89502 775-351-1000. Lenny. Good guy. Did a couple group-buy deals for JaguarForum members in the past. Wheel Adapters, Wheel Spacers, Hub Rings, and much more! | Motorsport Tech

Regarding offsets:

If I’ve done my math correctly, to get the face of an 8.5”-wide wheel to where the OEMs’ are in front, the rims would need an offset of like 47 or 48. That means the common offset of 42 will move the face of the wheel and tire outboard of where the OEMs sit, some 5 or 6mm. That’s less than a quarter-inch.

Some of the JaguarForum guys have pushed their OEMs out 15 - 17mm, plus lowered their cars as much as an inch, and have found there is still no tire rubbing.

In other words, regarding offsets, you do have quite a bit of lee-way. Say, for instance, you go with 19 x 9s. You could get away with only a 40 offset – although, since that would move the face of the wheel outboard a bit, I’d predict that would make for more road grime on the side of your car. (I think I would therefore prefer 19 x 9s with a 55 offset, the same as the OEM fronts, to keep the tires inside the fenders that much more for winter tires. But that’s just me.)

More on my rims shopping later.

(I much prefer a lip on my rims. Finding those has been a bitch.)

Last edited by Forrest Keith; 10-25-2018 at 09:25 AM. Reason: To ad a datum.
The following users liked this post:
Brock (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Brock
Hi Guys,

I just bought a 2019MY F-type R with non-ceramic brakes (380mm Front and 376mm Rear - the big brakes but not the ceramic ones). It comes with 20-in wheels and I am wondering whether I could buy 19-in wheels for the winter.

I have seen many posts on this but am still unsure whether I get it; I have also spoken with 4 different dealers and received 5 different answers (literally, two different service guys in the same dealer gave me opposite answers!). Would welcome advice on the following:
1. Will 19-in OEM wheels work / clear the brakes?
2. Will 19-in aftermarket wheels work / clear the brakes?
3. Is there a need to “recalibrate” the engine software (whatever that means - it was what one of the dealers told me I would have to do) if I install 19-in wheels?

TireRack offers 19-in wheels for a SVR with non-ceramic brakes, but not for the R. Element Wheels show 19-in wheels for the R on their web site, yet the salespeople told me that would not work.

Thank you.
(Very Confused in New York).
OEM “19 rims are guaranteed to fit since they were designed to accommodate the “big brakes” (minimal clearance). However, aftermarkets might not fit.

Brock (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,131 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd

OEM “19 rims are guaranteed to fit since they were designed to accommodate the “big brakes” (minimal clearance). However, aftermarkets might not fit.
Correct, as long as you are talking OEM F-Type rims. Other 19" OEM Jag rims will not fit over the 380 mm front bake calipers.

Brock (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 05:32 PM
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Correct, as long as you are talking OEM F-Type rims. Other 19" OEM Jag rims will not fit over the 380 mm front bake calipers.
Thanks guys for your replies.
I went onto the DiscountTireDirect.com web site and spoke with one of their guys. Apparently, the Coventry 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 wheels would fit with the large brakes. They actually offer this as an option if you enter "2019 Jaguar F Type R" as the vehicle. Not sure whether to believe them... the problem is that the OEM Jaguar wheels are so ridiculously expensive! I guess Forrest Keith also found some alternative...

Old 10-25-2018, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,131 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Brock
Thanks guys for your replies.
I went onto the DiscountTireDirect.com web site and spoke with one of their guys. Apparently, the Coventry 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 wheels would fit with the large brakes. They actually offer this as an option if you enter "2019 Jaguar F Type R" as the vehicle. Not sure whether to believe them... the problem is that the OEM Jaguar wheels are so ridiculously expensive! I guess Forrest Keith also found some alternative...
Good call on the Coventry rims.
I had 20" Coventry Whitley rims in "Hypersilver" on my old XFS and XFR and they were (and still are) IMHO one of the best looking after-market rims available for Jags.
They already have the correct PCD and centre bore, both of which are hard to find at a decent price with other after-market rims.
I'm a fan of multi-spokes, some chrome bling and especially deep dish and the Whitley's have those in spades, and you can go one step further than the Hypersilver and get full chrome if you want (although that's overdoing it a bit for me, I reckon Hypersilver is perfect).
Thing is despite searching constantly for years I have never found any other multi-spoke chrome look deep dish rims that fit the F-Type "out of the box".
I would get another 20" set for the F-Type in a heartbeat but for two problems - the rears are only 10" wide when I want/need 10.5" or 11", and the cost to import them is fairly steep.
Here's a pic of the old XFS with those wheels: