F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who brought the v8 just because of the sound?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 03:53 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Not that it's any comfort to the OP, and I hope you get a better outcome, but episodes like this show that Jaguar has a ways to go before it's a truly premium brand. Customers at this end of the market have low tolerance for poor service and a lot of alternative choice. My own experience based on an interaction with Jaguar customer service in the US was appalling, it looks from the OP's tale that this poor level of service is something that transcends borders...

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:59 PM
UBI
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I did the O2 sensor update and the sound of my V8S has not changed!

The following 2 users liked this post by UBI:
LobsterClaws (01-27-2016), TXJagR (01-27-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 04:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I tried not to put the problem on the net in hope that they would sort it out for me but they have completely left us for dead and have no interest in helping to resolve the problem the only thing they have said is they will give me less than £1200 to except it as it is.
This is not an option to me the letter they sent has stated that I have no proof that the exhaust has changed but never asked me to prove it as we have a video of it from when we brought it filmed by my other half's dad and as for proof the way it sounds now well only takes a video to show the difference also says that we test drove there demo car so we new how they sound well Ye not like mine is now!!!!
There letter has really annoyed me to be honest but they are still sticking to there guns got another meeting in the morning with them see what happens now.
As for remap I shouldn't have to spend money on it to get it back to how it was plus will void the warranty they have offered to possibly fit an after market exhaust but we all no it's not the exhaust that is the problem.
I think jag could do more to help but they have no intention of doing anything I have now fallen out of love with the jaguar brand but still love the car but no longer have faith in it just really don't no what to do at this point.
I guess I really started this thread to let you guys no what's going on with mine also to prove that people love /buy the v8 for the snap cackle and pop take that away you may as well brought the v6 loads cheaper still look the same still go like crap of a stick just hasn't got the sound appeal (to me anyway)

Old 01-27-2016, 05:07 PM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default O2 sensor replaced.

CEL came on at 2208 miles, October 2015. Dealer diagnosed a failed O2 sensor, and replaced it. Code was 56 WJ94... I think? Work order does not describe an O2 sensor update, but maybe this is what they do for the update, just replace the O2 sensor? I don't know. From what you've written they do an ECU update for reliability. Those words are not on the order. But for me, no change in exhaust sound.

To answer the question directly, I did not buy the car for the exhaust note. That was just lagniappe, but I'm quite happy with it.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:06 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

As has been mentioned - try pulling the fuse for the active exhaust and see if that has any effect.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:34 PM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
As has been mentioned - try pulling the fuse for the active exhaust and see if that has any effect.
The sounds that they removed have nothing to do with the exhaust valves. They are created by the computer controlling the fuel, timing, spark etc.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:45 AM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

OP,
This might sound like a stretch, but being that you are located in the UK, there is a fairly famous YouTuber ("Seen Through Glass") located in the UK who is a car enthusiast and he does videos on various cars--his own personal cars. He recently purchased an F-Type Coupe R. You may want to reach out to him and inform him of Jaguar UK's response and impending exhaust noise changes to our beloved F-Types (I'm still anxiously hoping this is not accurate as I am anticipating picking up my Type R next week and would be devastated if the exhaust noise became muted).

With his large following, and I imagine his own personal worry that his F-Type's sound could also be altered, he may garner enough public reaction to wake up Jaguar...

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+jaguar+f+type

Old 01-28-2016, 02:15 PM

Ill no more hopefully on Monday so fingers crossed I may be offered a solution to my problem.
But they have stated that all the newer f types are quieter than the first generation.
I am truly hopping that they are just using the update as an excuse for the loss of sound with my car not a true representation of what's to come.
I really do need to make a video of it just to show how little noise comes from mine.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:11 PM
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Kief,
You contacted me on M3post. I had the software done last month. THERE IS NO CHANGE TO THE EXHAUST NOTE.

Attached Thumbnails Who brought the v8 just because of the sound?-img_0368.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Kief (01-29-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by RawwR
Kief,
You contacted me on M3post. I had the software done last month. THERE IS NO CHANGE TO THE EXHAUST NOTE.
Thank God!!!
Thanks man, I was really getting nervous. I pick up the cat next week!

Old 01-28-2016, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,657 Likes on 3,363 Posts

Originally Posted by RawwR
Kief,
+1. I had the "O2" update done at the beginning of November just before the 2 rounds of tuning. No change in exhaust note. However, after the VMax tune, more sound, more snap/crackle/pop. It's glorious. The muffler valves will shut it down quite effectively, though. I now find myself shutting off the active exhaust when I'm cruising at 70 mph. The 2500 rpm drone has become too loud and fatiguing.

Last edited by Unhingd; 01-28-2016 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:30 PM
Received 177 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1. I had the "O2" update done at the beginning of November just before the 2 rounds of tuning...
Sorry if I missed the post somewhere, I tried searching for the "O2" update (tried several variations including Oxygen) - what is it exactly and how do I know if i need it?

Old 01-28-2016, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 294 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Greggbhill
Sorry if I missed the post somewhere, I tried searching for the "O2" update (tried several variations including Oxygen) - what is it exactly and how do I know if i need it?
IIRC, everyone gets it. It's not something that has been a recall or even urgent, but JLR will update your ECU or whatever software during a yearly service visit.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:35 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalJagS
The sounds that they removed have nothing to do with the exhaust valves. They are created by the computer controlling the fuel, timing, spark etc.
Given that the OP has spent considerable time trying to resolve this problem via lots of other means, and popping the fuse out takes just 2 minutes I would say it is worth giving it a go just to rule it out and cross it off the list.

As you say, everything is software based including the activation of the active exhaust via the cabin switch. God knows what that software update did - its clearly causing issues though.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,027 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
Given that the OP has spent considerable time trying to resolve this problem via lots of other means, and popping the fuse out takes just 2 minutes I would say it is worth giving it a go just to rule it out and cross it off the list.

As you say, everything is software based including the activation of the active exhaust via the cabin switch. God knows what that software update did - its clearly causing issues though.
I don't think anything about this account is clear. Based on the preponderance of evidence from everyone else on this forum, it just doesn't make any sense.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:18 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

There's lots of possible explanations. Some of them do involve the software update as software won't always work just the same even on hardware that seems identical. So, it's entirely possible that RichV8s did experience problems due to the software update but that it's an extreme edge case.

It's possible there is no problem at all and RichV8s has lost his hearing. It's also possible that something totally unrelated to the update is causing the problem and that Jaguar is doing a terrible job of investigating a defective car.

Without more data, none of us can know for sure. Nothing being clear is the one thing I can agree with you on.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:11 AM

Jaguar have confirmed that they have done everything to improve the exhaust sound and say that's how they are I do understand that you haven't heard my car I will get a video together like I've said I'm only telling you what jag have said to me yes I am very disappointed that my car no longer pops at all only when you Rev from tickover without moving.
All the rumble has gone it's now just like my old xfr except on the run up through the gears.
I have tried for a long time to get my car fixed and I have it in writing now that my car sounds like all cars will so if this is true you will lose over run sounds unless you get mapped by somebody else.
As for my hearing I can confirm I haven't gone def in any shape or form and the sound difference has been agreed by there service manager and my even my other half noticed the difference!!!
My car has lost its sound and JLR tell me it's running the latest software update so are blaming it on this and in writing say that all will sound the same and do not see it as an integral part of the car and don't think they are sold on the exhaust sound and even stated that it isn't in the hand book.
Trust me I hope I have just got a problem car just wish they new how to sort it out.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Richv8s
Jaguar have confirmed that they have done everything to improve the exhaust sound and say that's how they are I do understand that you haven't heard my car I will get a video together like I've said I'm only telling you what jag have said to me yes I am very disappointed that my car no longer pops at all only when you Rev from tickover without moving.
All the rumble has gone it's now just like my old xfr except on the run up through the gears.
I have tried for a long time to get my car fixed and I have it in writing now that my car sounds like all cars will so if this is true you will lose over run sounds unless you get mapped by somebody else.
As for my hearing I can confirm I haven't gone def in any shape or form and the sound difference has been agreed by there service manager and my even my other half noticed the difference!!!
My car has lost its sound and JLR tell me it's running the latest software update so are blaming it on this and in writing say that all will sound the same and do not see it as an integral part of the car and don't think they are sold on the exhaust sound and even stated that it isn't in the hand book.
Trust me I hope I have just got a problem car just wish they new how to sort it out.
Didn't you also have a plethora of problems with your last Jag? Or at least I thought I recalled that from a history of your previous posts. Maybe JLR is tired of dealing with you--and I imagine the feeling is probably mutual.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,657 Likes on 3,363 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I don't think anything about this account is clear. Based on the preponderance of evidence from everyone else on this forum, it just doesn't make any sense.
+1.

Is there any difference in sound between active exhaust on versus off?

Old 01-29-2016, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

There is something here that does not seem "right"...