F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who brought the v8 just because of the sound?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 08:04 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by mshedden
Can't hurt.
What was your build date, btw?
MFG date is 10/13

Old 03-09-2016, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Kief
First time I tried, I didn't have much sound. Not sure if it matters, but I didn't switch on dynamic until after I put it into drive, then sport, then dynamic.

Tried again this morning after the gym, and while the car was still in park, I switched on dynamic, then once in drive sport, and it definitely woke people up (I go to the gym at 3:00am!). However, I agree with Larry above, that I needed a little more mphs than 10mph (more like 15-20mph) to get the effect.
Thanks Kief - sport mode is almost entirely devoid of overrun effects for me now no matter what speed. Interestingly its much easier to get some (very limited) overrun in just dynamic mode without sport engaged.

In either case, the only way to do it now is with a very heavy right foot on the throttle followed by sudden lift off.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

It's interesting to hear the differing reports of when overrun occurs. Perceptions are all over the map.

I get significant overrun during deceleration in all modes, including "granny mode" in my base V6 w/ standard sport exhaust (no valves). It is more prominent in Sport and Dynamic, and I don't any difference between those two.

It's also loud all the time whenever I put my foot in it.

The following users liked this post:
Schwabe (03-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

I am with Foosh, of course in a vert it is a lot more obvious. Just the soft top up and it reduces the "experienced" noise by a ton. I have backfire when ever I lift of the throttle, no matter what mode or speed. I can additionally induce backfire by just lightly touching the throttle when the car is being slowed down by the transmission only, basically can hold it until the car shifts automatically down before stalling.

As for not having the TRB applied ... you guys are joking right? My car, my decision. I don't have to service the car at a Jag dealership at all. I pay for my service, you do what I tell you to do. WTF is Jag to tell me what I get done on my car and what not. Are they making the payments? Seriously ... the youngens these days, go home and look under your bed, maybe you find your ***** ...

Old 03-09-2016, 08:54 AM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel View Post
Is the K309 a result of the engineered pops and bangs shortening the life of the O2 sensors?
No. Have a read of my earlier post Who brought the v8 just because of the sound?
Thanks Cambo, slapped myself on the wrists...good read btw.

Looking forward to taking mine in for its' first service...I think!

Your 'insider' information from your latest post looks most plausible.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:57 AM

Well that was a frustrating call with the dealer. Completely dismissed me out of hand, said there is nothing wrong with my car, there is no problem to solve, there is nothing that needs resetting and unless JLR tells them to do anything further with the car they won't entertain performing work of any description on it - and I should basically stop listening to what anyone on the Internet says because they don't know better than Jaguar. Incredibly bad attitude - basically told me to go away.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Schwabe
I am with Foosh, of course in a vert it is a lot more obvious. Just the soft top up and it reduces the "experienced" noise by a ton. I have backfire when ever I lift of the throttle, no matter what mode or speed. I can additionally induce backfire by just lightly touching the throttle when the car is being slowed down by the transmission only, basically can hold it until the car shifts automatically down before stalling.

As for not having the TRB applied ... you guys are joking right? My car, my decision. I don't have to service the car at a Jag dealership at all. I pay for my service, you do what I tell you to do. WTF is Jag to tell me what I get done on my car and what not. Are they making the payments? Seriously ... the youngens these days, go home and look under your bed, maybe you find your ***** ...
What you describe is how my car behaved prior to the service - very very vocal, overrun burble and pops on demand anywhere in the rev range and no real dependency on how much throttle input I had put in.

The following users liked this post:
Schwabe (03-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 11:46 AM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Yes, but for some of us the price of the service was baked into the car, so we are effectively paying for it twice if we take it somewhere else.

Also, I have a suggestion for where you can stick your ageism. Would you like to hear it?

Old 03-09-2016, 11:57 AM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
Thanks Kief - sport mode is almost entirely devoid of overrun effects for me now no matter what speed. Interestingly its much easier to get some (very limited) overrun in just dynamic mode without sport engaged.

In either case, the only way to do it now is with a very heavy right foot on the throttle followed by sudden lift off.
I also forgot to reiterate that my car still only has 500 miles on the clock, so as the exhaust breaks-in, I imagine it will be easier to replicate across the range.

Wow, where did this come from?
I haven't paid for service and/or been out of warranty for quite some time with my cars.

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
Yes, but for some of us the price of the service was baked into the car, so we are effectively paying for it twice if we take it somewhere else.

Also, I have a suggestion for where you can stick your ageism. Would you like to hear it?

Old 03-09-2016, 01:00 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Well that was a frustrating call with the dealer. Completely dismissed me out of hand, said there is nothing wrong with my car, there is no problem to solve, there is nothing that needs resetting and unless JLR tells them to do anything further with the car they won't entertain performing work of any description on it - and I should basically stop listening to what anyone on the Internet says because they don't know better than Jaguar. Incredibly bad attitude - basically told me to go away.
Maybe find another dealer and discuss the problem. Clearing the codes and resetting the ECU is quite a benign operation - hard to think of a valid objection since it can't cause a problem in and of itself. Perhaps offer to pay (can't be more than 30mins labor) - maybe if it fixes the problem you could be reimbursed etc?

Old 03-09-2016, 01:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well just had a call to say jag technical have told the dealers to order a new ecu so have to now wait till late next week to see how it go's but at least they are going to try something

Old 03-09-2016, 01:12 PM

Maybe find another dealer and discuss the problem. Clearing the codes and resetting the ECU is quite a benign operation - hard to think of a valid objection since it can't cause a problem in and of itself. Perhaps offer to pay (can't be more than 30mins labor) - maybe if it fixes the problem you could be reimbursed etc?
I pointed out to him I was merely asking for a reset of the ECU - likened it to him doing a reboot of Windows - I did offer to pay. That's where he got very offhand with me and said he wouldn't do anything to the car as there is nothing wrong with it, nothing that needs to be reset and anyway he can't do anything to the car without Jaguar's permission

Old 03-09-2016, 01:21 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

I pointed out to him I was merely asking for a reset of the ECU - likened it to him doing a reboot of Windows - I did offer to pay. That's where he got very offhand with me and said he wouldn't do anything to the car as there is nothing wrong with it, nothing that needs to be reset and anyway he can't do anything to the car without Jaguar's permission
Ugh. Complete PITA.

I guess you can still try unhooking the battery for an hour and see if that has any effect at all.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:29 PM

Ugh. Complete PITA.

I guess you can still try unhooking the battery for an hour and see if that has any effect at all.
Yes will definitely do that - maybe even this evening - its something simple I can do at home at least!

To be honest I had expected the dealer to take this line - they really don't like people telling them how to do their job, and seldom will go the extra mile to investigate beyond what the "playbook" tells them. Its all too easy for them to try and get rid of people with complaints by stating "nothing wrong with the car" for these kinds of issues. If the car is broken down / stopped working / has an obvious error light its a simple conversation to have. When having a conversations about "the car doesn't sound right" its usually going to end up with you getting nowhere fast.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Who were you dealing w/ a the dealer? If it was a "service advisor" elevate to the "service manager." If it was the latter, elevate to the dealership "general manager." If he/she balks, tell him all your future sales and service business will be going elsewhere.

Have these discussions in person, and make sure you are incredibly polite with a smile on your face in all discussions.

Armed w/ the write-up that Cambo published here, I am sure you can find a dealership that is willing to do that procedure for you. You aren't asking very much, and it is an approved procedure.

I am certain my dealership would do it without hesitation.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-09-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:04 PM
Received 4,442 Likes on 2,423 Posts

Sorry to hear that the dealer isn't playing ball. Don't suppose you have another dealer close by? Also a Land Rover dealer will be able to do this (even if they don't have the Jaguar franchise).

Old 03-09-2016, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

and anyway he can't do anything to the car without Jaguar's permission
BS. He only needs Jaguar's permission if Jaguar is going to pay for it. If you offered to pay then all he needs is YOUR permission.

Dave

Old 03-09-2016, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh
Who were you dealing w/ a the dealer? If it was a "service advisor" elevate to the "service manager." If it was the latter, elevate to the dealership "general manager." If he/she balks, tell him all your future sales and service business will be going elsewhere.

Have these discussions in person, and make sure you are incredibly polite with a smile on your face in all discussions.

Armed w/ the write-up that Cambo published here, I am sure you can find a dealership that is willing to do that procedure for you. You aren't asking very much, and it is an approved procedure.

I am certain my dealership would do it without hesitation.
I live in CT and bought the car in NJ. Its too far to go for servicing, my closest dealer is in White Plains NY (will give you an idea as to who the servicing dealer is).

They have a strange setup - their service facility is nowhere near the sales facility in White Plains. It is a shared Volvo / Subaru / Jaguar facility - its a pretty low rent facility with a central receptionist - she guides you to an office for Jaguar (and by office I mean a desk with a chair) or to one of the other marques. The guy sitting in the office is the only representative for Jag servicing and his card says "Service Consultant".

Having not bought the car from the dealer, I have no relationship with the sales team or GM, just the service guy in the service facility location.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo
Sorry to hear that the dealer isn't playing ball. Don't suppose you have another dealer close by? Also a Land Rover dealer will be able to do this (even if they don't have the Jaguar franchise).
I also own a Range Rover and have a good relationship with the dealer - I can ask them if they would be willing - although not sure if they would agree as its another marque, even if it is part of the same family. Its just a Land Rover dealer, not a combined Jag / Land Rover.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:33 PM
Received 4,442 Likes on 2,423 Posts

I also own a Range Rover and have a good relationship with the dealer - I can ask them if they would be willing - although not sure if they would agree as its another marque, even if it is part of the same family. Its just a Land Rover dealer, not a combined Jag / Land Rover.
It's the same diagnostic equipment and same procedure as a Land Rover, so they would be able to do it. If they want to is a different matter.