F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who brought the v8 just because of the sound?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 03:34 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,082 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Does look like there aren't other Jag dealers near you, though there are a few LR dealers - LR Darien, LR Larchmont and LR Mt. Kisco (according to Google Maps). Larchmont is apparently also a Jag dealer.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:49 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Am going to try the following in this sequence

1. Pull the battery for 1 hour tonight
2. Call my LR dealer (Darien)
3. Start calling other Jaguar dealers to see if any of them will do this, at my cost.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:55 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Smile Possibly the best answer ....

It came down to 2 vehicles for me, new Porsche 911 GTS as its the last of the naturally aspirated motors by Porsche or new Jaguar F Type R coupe. Unfortunately the Porsche sounds like a modified VW Beetle engine. Serious! This gets on my nerves and I couldn't accept the fact that such a wonderful car has a pussified sounding exhaust sound. It didn't cut it for me. The Jaguar R coupe is simply insane! Case closed boys.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:42 PM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

I don't understand why you guys don't go to a different Jaguar dealer. Or take one of their cars in stock with them out for a test drive and ask the why they don't sound the same?

Old 03-10-2016, 02:05 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have test drove other cars and have sound files of them and yes they do sound different but this doesn't help you you disappoints you more.
In uk if you end up going to court if makes a weaker case taking it to a different dealership + the dealers only do what JLR tell them to so would make no difference where you take it too just different people work on it or don't work on it depends on how you look at it.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:05 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi all,

I just read through this entire thread and registered so I could reply with my experiences here in Melbourne.

I have an early (2013) V8S convertible, loving the performance and the noise like everyone else (apart from my neighbours, maybe).

A little while ago I noticed an annoying little squeak from the exhaust system at the rear of the car at low speeds when the transmission changed gear (I think). The car went in for its second service in the week before Christmas, so I mentioned this.

During the service they did two software updates - described on my service report as follows:

"Carried out K243 climate control centre vent software upgrade
Download for K243 failed and disabled hevac unit
Attempted to download again as existing and new module - still failed
Disconnected battery overnight and attempted download again - still failed
Replaced hevac module and attempted download again - download failed
Carried out download as instructed by Jaguar Technical - download successful

Carried out K309 service action as per specifications"

Because of the little saga with the centre vent software upgrade, they kept the car over Christmas (waiting for the new hevac module from the UK). When I picked it up they said that they hadn't noticed the exhaust squeak at first, but did when they road tested it after all the work was done. About this issue, the report says:

"Road tested vehicle 27/1/16 once all other repairs had been carried out and found squeak evident due to internal failure of rear muffler assembly. Ordered replacement muffler - part on back order"

So when I picked up the car it had the K309 software update, but still had a squeaky muffler.

There was absolutely no difference to the pops and crackles after the software upgrade. I was happy to have the car back after a few weeks with a diesel XF loan car!

A couple of weeks later they replaced the rear muffler assembly (this time I had an XE for the day!). The exhaust note sounded a little bit more "refined" (new mufflers instead of the ones that it was 'run-in' on, maybe?) but still just as lairy, and the pops and crackles are unchanged.

Just wanted to add my experiences to the list... I can see that I've had the same issues as some of you, but no loss of fun noises or agitated neighbours...

The following users liked this post:
Cambo (03-12-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 07:35 PM
Received 4,442 Likes on 2,423 Posts

Welcome to the forum mate, nice to have another Aussie here.

The exhaust squeak is another topic. My friends V8S here in Sydney also had to have the rear muffler replaced because of the squeak, he also noted a slight change of tone with the new muffler, but after some time (I guess after the muffler was "burnt in"?) it went back to the same tone as before. And still lots of pops & crackles.

The programming failures of the HVAC module is interesting, I think I know what happened there, but it's not related to the K309 and loss of pop/crackle that some members are reporting in this thread, so we'll leave that for another day.

Thanks for the detailed post!

Funny enough I will be in Melbourne next week on business.

Old 03-13-2016, 03:23 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Cambo,
Yes, I thought the same about the new muffler. It smelt awful for the first week or so, as it burnt in. Did some spirited driving out of town today and the p's & c's did seem slightly more muted than before, but that could've been my imagination after reading this damned thread!

Old 03-15-2016, 11:35 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
Am going to try the following in this sequence

1. Pull the battery for 1 hour tonight
2. Call my LR dealer (Darien)
3. Start calling other Jaguar dealers to see if any of them will do this, at my cost.
I'm guessing pulling the battery didn't help?

Old 03-16-2016, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by mshedden
I still haven't done it - I tried to lift the panel in the trunk over the weekend but thought I was going to break it and gave up. Will give it another go maybe one night this week.

I do have an option now of someone that will be able to help reset the car as detailed by Cambo earlier in this thread if need be.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:48 PM

Well had a phone call today to say jaguar technical had arrived to fit the new ecu which I didn't even no they were coming today so that was a surprise so from there they sent a guy to come and collect it from me which was lucky I was around anyway heard nothing all day till tonight to find a phone message to say they had ordered the wrong ecu!!!!
Seams JLR don't even no what parts fit what cars now.
I really can't say how disappointed yet again on all accounts

Old 03-17-2016, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by mshedden
Did the battery reset - no difference. Will now pursue having a hard restart performed on the car.

mshedden (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 02:44 PM

Went to my local dealers about the car today and went out with the manager in the car well totally different car power I never realised how much it had lost and we had exhaust sounds again after 9 months of trying to get it sorted.
Bad news is I can't have it back as its running old software but shows it is a software problem and the tech's are trying to write a new file to correct all the problems.
This I am told is a global fault that is affecting a few cars and are now trying to fix so fingers crossed people with the fault will get it sorted out.
Seams JLR we're worried about me getting it put on the rolling road

ek993 (03-19-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Richv8s
Went to my local dealers about the car today and went out with the manager in the car well totally different car power I never realised how much it had lost and we had exhaust sounds again after 9 months of trying to get it sorted.
Bad news is I can't have it back as its running old software but shows it is a software problem and the tech's are trying to write a new file to correct all the problems.
This I am told is a global fault that is affecting a few cars and are now trying to fix so fingers crossed people with the fault will get it sorted out.
Interesting - do you want to swap VIN numbers - would like to see if your car is close to mine in the production cycle.

I also hope that if this truly is the problem they make the fix known to their dealer network - otherwise will need to deal with "there is nothing wrong with your car" responses.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:33 PM

Gosh, 9 months of effort to get them to flash back one software revision - their powers of deductive reasoning must be *sorely* lacking...

Old 03-17-2016, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

So you're saying it wasn't just a change in the sound but that power was down?

Thx
Dave

Old 03-17-2016, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

This I am told is a global fault that is affecting a few cars
I didn't quite understand all of what you were trying to say, but you totally lost me with the statement above. How can a global fault only affect a handful of cars?

Old 03-17-2016, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh
I didn't quite understand all of what you were trying to say, but you totally lost me with the statement above. How can a global fault only affect a handful of cars?
It could be a fault that affects (say) early 495hp V8S models that have (say) a slight hardware difference from current 'R's and they forgot to take that into account when writing the software/building the flash file.

Kinda similar to (say) Apple releasing IOS software and finding it glitches on the iPhone 4, but is fine on the 5 and 6 (thats probably happened too).

Foosh (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 06:38 PM

This could mean it affects a narrow range of cars from a specific build sequence - for example a component may have changed between early and later build cars and the software testing didn't pick up the problem in its QA cycle. You often see this in recalls and campaigns where specific VIN ranges are affected - even cars from the same model year, some are affected some aren't.

I work in technology and this is an issue that is always present. If for example a chip maker changes their supplier it can have unforeseen consequences for a software release. During a release cycle their is always a remediation phase to fix the bugs that weren't picked up in testing - as an example Apps are constantly updated with bug fixes in mobile app stores.

Foosh (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by DPelletier
So you're saying it wasn't just a change in the sound but that power was down?

Thx
Dave
I think what he was saying was that after getting the OLD software back, he got full power, and the sound, and that he hadn't noticed the power degredation before - which implies the fault affects the power and the sound.

DPelletier (03-18-2016)