F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who brought the v8 just because of the sound?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

To put it more bluntly, we have one report. The exhaust note w/ snap, crackle, and pop in all F-Types, both V6 and V8, is almost universally acclaimed. Two things are mentioned in virtually every single description of the F-Type: 1) the beauty of the car, and 2) the thrill of the exhaust note, in no particular order.

For JLR to suddenly decide to remove this feature is just completely incomprehensible. The expressed outrage resulting from such a move would be deafening and devastating to JLR.

The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
Kief (01-29-2016), LobsterClaws (01-30-2016)
Old 01-29-2016, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
To put it more bluntly, we have one report. The exhaust note w/ snap, crackle, and pop in all F-Types, both V6 and V8, is almost universally acclaimed. Two things are mentioned in virtually every single description of the F-Type: 1) the beauty of the car, and 2) the thrill of the exhaust note, in no particular order.

For JLR to suddenly decide to remove this feature is just completely incomprehensible. The expressed outrage resulting from such a move would be deafening and devastating to JLR.
I could not agree more.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

I feel bad for the OP however because it seems like he has a one-off problem, and they are telling him it's not a problem. Any of us could be caught in that situation. This is the point where, in the US, I would start engaging all consumer protection venues I could think of. Both government, and commercial. Social media is not a bad option either.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:56 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Richv8s
Jaguar have confirmed that they have done everything to improve the exhaust sound and say that's how they are I do understand that you haven't heard my car I will get a video together like I've said I'm only telling you what jag have said to me yes I am very disappointed that my car no longer pops at all only when you Rev from tickover without moving.
All the rumble has gone it's now just like my old xfr except on the run up through the gears.
I have tried for a long time to get my car fixed and I have it in writing now that my car sounds like all cars will so if this is true you will lose over run sounds unless you get mapped by somebody else.
As for my hearing I can confirm I haven't gone def in any shape or form and the sound difference has been agreed by there service manager and my even my other half noticed the difference!!!
My car has lost its sound and JLR tell me it's running the latest software update so are blaming it on this and in writing say that all will sound the same and do not see it as an integral part of the car and don't think they are sold on the exhaust sound and even stated that it isn't in the hand book.
Trust me I hope I have just got a problem car just wish they new how to sort it out.
I am not sure that is what they have stated in their response to you - that the software has changed the exhaust noise and that all will sound the same? Looks to me as if they are just saying your car is operating normally - in other words, trying to make you go away.

Is there any difference in sound if the active exhaust switch is enabled / disabled? Or do both modes sound identical?

Old 01-29-2016, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Welcome to the club. Your current enjoyment will not wane.

IGNORE!

Last edited by Unhingd; 01-29-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:01 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,087 Likes on 1,389 Posts

I believe Lance was replying to a different thread. Either that, or he's practicing his non-sequiturs.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
Either that, or he's practicing his non-sequiturs.
I wouldn't put it past him.

Damned theses mobile devices.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:14 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Very odd. If fuel gets injected at the opportune moment, the laws of physics say it's gonna pop!

It's almost as if this feature somehow got 'turned off'. It would not surprise me if this feature *could* be turned off by some parameter deep in the engine management software. Perhaps a one (noise on) has inadvertently become a zero (noise off) in some table somewhere? In the world of software releases anything can happen, and there may be any number of software versions for different MY variants depending on factors we don't know about, which might explain why nobody else has this problem. In fact the 2014, 495 hp version is a thing unto itself, as they are all 550hp now.

Alternatively, is there a sensor that determines when the 'opportune' moment is, that perhaps is not working? (But could the engine run at all if that were the case?).

Last edited by mshedden; 01-30-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:36 AM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

A phone call to a few Jaguar service managers should answer this question once and for all. Not to a salesman, they usually know less than their customers about the cars they sell. But service should know if it's true or not that Jaguar intends on muzzling their Kitty.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:11 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Arne
There is something here that does not seem "right"...
I'm having a hard time believing this, especially on the beastie V8. And especially that JLR intended it and don't think it's a problem. Sorry, call me naturally suspicious.

I would like to see OP post a video, car only needs to be stationary (but make sure it's warmed through from a little drive first), but with Dynamic mode on and a few revs for the camera...with camera set up by the exhausts of course.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:00 PM
BMo
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainHam
I'm having a hard time believing this, especially on the beastie V8. And especially that JLR intended it and don't think it's a problem. Sorry, call me naturally suspicious.
+1

Old 02-01-2016, 09:29 PM
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I have to bring my V6S in for it's first service and I'm starting to get nervous. Is it possible to REFUSE the ECU update (kinda like NOT having your kids vaccinated?). Is that an option or will that put you out of compliance with your warranty? Or I suppose I could have the car serviced somewhere other than the dealership but that doesn't sound like a good idea.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:39 PM
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

And I only have the V6S (not the V8), but yes, the sound was a MAJOR factor in my decision making process. The car is beautiful. The performance in the V6S I'd say is OK if not mildly underpowered (The Boxster S, Alfa 4C, and Mustang GT will smoke it 0-60). But in spite of this I bought the car because I'm absolutely in love with the way it sounds and the 'engineered' snap/crackle/pop are just brilliant. Couldn't be happier with the car. Couldn't be more disappointed if it went away

Old 02-01-2016, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Relax, you have nothing to worry about.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:05 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just an update I haven't posted any more on here as I don't want to stir up any more problems buy the general consensus seams jag are trying to fob me off and the problem is with my car only.
I still haven't had an update from JLR but hope to hear today/this week.
If I don't hear from them soon I will upload videos of my car from when we had it and a new video of it now.
Just a reminder that it isn't just me who says my car is diffent the service manger said the same after driving my car then another the day after.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Relax, you have nothing to worry about.
+1. We only have a data point of 1 that is pointing to this problem. Even if your tune is infected by JLR, a good tuner can put the roar back in your kitty. I suspect Rich's active exhaust (muffler) valves aren't opening and the dealer is too stupid to figure that out.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:32 PM

Sadly it isn't anything to do with the valves in the exhaust you can see them open when you switch the button plus the dealer has swaped the exhaust of a good car JLR even sent one of there tec's out to the car who told them to change a few parts with no change

Old 02-02-2016, 03:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
anyone who buys a car JUST for the sound is like marrying someone just for their looks. It's very likely bound to go wrong.
It's a perfectly good reason to make her your girlfriend for a while! Nobody here is taking their F Type "til death us do part" or at least, I hope not!

Hi everybody, I'm a first time contributor. I tend just to read but I think a recent experience will make interesting reading for some.

I've had my '14 V8S (UK) about 7 months now and have something to add about the O2 sensor recall: I had taken mine into the dealership for an annoying squeak from the exhaust at low speeds and struck up a good rapport with the technician while taking him out on a drive to demonstrate the issue. The squeak ended up being solved with some lube on the valve opener mechanism at the pipes and I was reassuringly promised an entire new back end unit if the problem persisted. The tech was kind enough to take me into the workshop and show me exactly where the noise was coming from while the car was on the lift but before doing so, he advised me that the vehicle was also listed for an O2 sensor replacement recall. He suggested that JLR was describing it to customers as an "emissions" issue as it modifies the fuel mix (mainly on cold starts) but in hushed tones, admitted that it was actually to quieten the car down somewhat too. Now, I'm one of the owners here for whom the sound DID play a big part and I didn't hesitate to put a stop to any plans they had to mess with that beautiful soundtrack. The senior tech came over to encourage me to accept the recall suggesting not doing so may result in the vehicle failing to conform to regulations and that it could dampen the sound down a little but the tech I'd built a rapport with interjected with a nudge and a wink explaining that I hadn't factored in time for the recall on this visit and needed the car off the lift asap. The senior guy appeared to be happy enough with that and I got my baby out of there!

The following users liked this post:
Richv8s (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 03:10 PM

Thank you for your reply I was starting to feel like nobody was be leaving me on how much my car had changed.
I also only ever read other posts on forums but was left with no where else to go as JLR had in my eyes truly shafted me.
Please may I say thank you for your contribution it makes a lot of sense to what has happened to my car,I must say that I wondered if it was a noise thing but also asked if it was a vw type thing which they didn't take very kindly too😀

Old 02-02-2016, 03:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In addition, I know for a fact my V8S is running the latest software and it snorts and pops like usual. The software version was verified when I got her remapped. Hoping to get it on a dyno to verify soon but from what's happening under my right foot... Wow! I've been told to expect 560hp and 700nm