F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who makes the OEM Brake Pads and Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 07:44 AM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Who makes the OEM Brake Pads and Rotors?

Hello All, I'm sorry for asking but I searched and couldn't find the answer. I have a 2017 F-Type S AWD. Does anyone know who makes the OEM Brake Pads and Rotors? And/Or can recommend where to buy a replacement set?

Please note I've already tried the Porterfields (R4S) and while great for daily driving, they just melted at the track after day 2. I know the RS4 are street pads, but people on this forum suggested they would be good for a track day as well. They were wrong.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:31 AM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

This link gives some background on OE, OEM, and "genuine" parts. You may find like with the german brands that Jaguar used multiple vendors over time, so the answer to who made the OEM parts is not as straightforward as it seems.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/oe-acad...b-613ab4bf7e24

If online sources are not conclusive, I'd visit the dealer, maybe the parts department would show you a box of what they sell as OEM.

I don't think the folks that told you R4-S pads would work at the track were intentionally misleading you - keep in mind that some tracks are big and have high average speeds and long straightaways that are not as difficult on brakes as tighter, slower more technical tracks. So R4-S pads may work adequately for some people at their local track, while others will quickly exceed the R4-S's operating temperature limits on another.

The following users liked this post:
reznik6044 (03-18-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

The R4-S is a street pad. If you haven’t already, try the R4.
TRW is the OEM for the pads.
Also consider EBC Yellowstuff

Old 03-17-2019, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I don't think Porterfield do the R4 for the F-Type yet, well they didn't last time I checked.
OEM calipers are usually TRW or ATE and OEM pads are usually either TRW or Pagid, it varies by model and year.

Old 03-17-2019, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

I know that I saw Ate on something when I replaced my pads and rotors. My addled memory was telling me it was pads, but I'm not going to head to storage and open up boxes to check.

The following 2 users liked this post by lizzardo:
andykreb (02-04-2021), reznik6044 (03-18-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 09:46 PM
Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

The OEM pads are TRW and Galfer (Galfer is rear). Rotors are Centric

The following 2 users liked this post by FType17:
reznik6044 (03-18-2019), SinF (02-07-2021)
Old 03-18-2019, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Chawumba
I don't think the folks that told you R4-S pads would work at the track were intentionally misleading you - keep in mind that some tracks are big and have high average speeds and long straightaways that are not as difficult on brakes as tighter, slower more technical tracks. So R4-S pads may work adequately for some people at their local track, while others will quickly exceed the R4-S's operating temperature limits on another.
I understand it's hard to answer that question in general terms, but the fact is they are NOT track pads and should not be recommended for such use. I was at Watkins Glenn which is a fast track, but none the less, my stopping distance was horrible. When I put the OEM pads back on (after melting the Porterfields) my stopping distance improved notably and my lap times improved by about 3-4 seconds.

They are a good low-dust street pad but should not be recommended for track use. The Jag is on the heavy side and these pads are not designed for this use.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:09 AM

I just ordered a set of Yellowstuff. I'm excited to give them a try. I'm doing Mid-Ohio in April and then Watkins in July. So I'm curious to see how well they perform before I head to Wakins. But I also wanted a set of OEM pads for when I'm street driving.

Old 02-03-2021, 10:57 PM
Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Slotted drilled rotors for my 2010 xkr

Jag gurus what are the best brakes and rotors for my jag. I’m thinking about putting drilled and slotted tutors on front and rear on my jag. Is that a good idea or should I just replace them with OEM’s

Old 02-04-2021, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by jerome41441
Jag gurus what are the best brakes and rotors for my jag. I’m thinking about putting drilled and slotted tutors on front and rear on my jag. Is that a good idea or should I just replace them with OEM’s
That really depends on what kind of driving you plan on doing... if you are just doing normal driving (like to work, groceries, etc.) then it doesn't really matter. Get what you like. However if you are going to be doing "aggressive" driving, like at the track. I would strongly suggests NOT getting drilled rotors. I've tracked my F-Type for several years and tried lots of different types of rotors. The blanks or slotted work best. I currently use the slotted stoptech rotors.

Pads are a whole different animal. I wish there was a better track pad fo the Jag, but there isn't. I teeter between the EBC Yellow Stuff and the OEM pads. Neither are great at the track, but I haven't found anything better.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Jerome - as above the porterfield R4-S are prob the best for street use and low dust. EBC Redstuff for street or yellow for track are good too.

Reznik - what's the concern with drilled rotors vs just slotted? Is it a track only heavy use issue or road use too?
[im torn as I love the look of drilled / slotted but have been through 2x sets on my XF SC and ended up with pulsating brakes both times. Fortunately have CCB on the F Type]

Old 02-04-2021, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BritCars
Jerome - as above the porterfield R4-S are prob the best for street use and low dust. EBC Redstuff for street or yellow for track are good too.

Reznik - what's the concern with drilled rotors vs just slotted? Is it a track only heavy use issue or road use too?
[im torn as I love the look of drilled / slotted but have been through 2x sets on my XF SC and ended up with pulsating brakes both times. Fortunately have CCB on the F Type]
Nothing wrong with drilled holes as long as they are chamfered or the holes are cast into the rotor. Otherwise, they can crack as a result of being heated to a bright glow. Unfortunately, most of the cheap aftermarket options aren’t appropriately built.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:07 AM

Nothing wrong with drilled holes as long as they are chamfered or the holes are cast into the rotor. Otherwise, they can crack as a result of being heated to a bright glow. Unfortunately, most of the cheap aftermarket options aren’t appropriately built.
@Unhingd you beat me to the punch - my personal experience with drilled rotors was that they crack under track conditions.

@BritCars The F-Type is heavy and the rotors take on a lot of heat and stress under track driving conditions. I didn't go very cheap, but I also didn't get super expensive ones... if you are going to be a track rat you need to conserve costs. So I have found that slotted were the best bank-for-the-buck for Track use (they were marginally more expensive than blanks). That is why I suggested avoiding drilled for track. But they are pretty and great option for daily driving.

I actually got pretty good at replacing pads and rotors and kept a set for track vs. daily driving.... so if you plan on doing a lot of track days and like the look of drilled/slotted, i would suggest keeping separate sets for both... it's an hour or so in the garage before and after a track weekend to swap them back and forth.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:22 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

I went with the OEM rotors and Porterfield R4S when the originals were shot this fall (66k miles!) and have been happy with the combo, after bedding them in. Would have considered the Wortecs if they were in stock in my 380/326 size, but they never answered my email.

Old 02-06-2021, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Any suggestions for well manufactured drilled/slotted rotors? I've had the R1 Concepts but my second set are pulsating and got to change again. (Actually on my XF but same brake system 380/376mm). Oz - I think you had great experience with R1 but they haven't worked for me. Dealer checked out entire brake system for me and they are sure calipers, system, suspension etc are all fine so they think the pads/rotors just aren't performing. No track use - just street driving

Old 02-07-2021, 05:57 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

I have original discs on my 2016 R
380mm front
376mm rear

After 62000 miles the second set of oem pads is approaching replacement time, still on original discs but judging by the wear lip I expect these will be due for replacement.

I intend to try these Brembo parts

Rear:

Front:

The following 2 users liked this post by Paul_59:
Carbuff2 (02-07-2021), reznik6044 (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 11:14 AM

Any suggestions for well manufactured drilled/slotted rotors? I've had the R1 Concepts but my second set are pulsating and got to change again. (Actually on my XF but same brake system 380/376mm). Oz - I think you had great experience with R1 but they haven't worked for me. Dealer checked out entire brake system for me and they are sure calipers, system, suspension etc are all fine so they think the pads/rotors just aren't performing. No track use - just street driving
Under the advice of people on this forum, I purchased a set of R1 rotors - worst rotors I've ever owned. I had one crack on me during a lapping session. Almost caused a bad accident. DO NOT buy R1 Concepts crap product. Not worth the cost savings.

SinF (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 11:23 AM
Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

I have been reading this thread with some interest. Thanks for posting.

Just wondering how much of the above advice or particular parts are particular to the type/size of caliper and and rotor.
My V6 MT has the "silver" calipers ... and I will see if the car runs out of stopping power this summer at a track event or two.

Brake Rotor and Caliper Options

Phantomf4collector (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Sorry I didn't reply to your PM about the brakes, been a bit crook lately!
Anyway, I don't have R1 Concepts, instead I have Hart brand slotted and drilled bought on Fleabay some six year ago, but I have commented elsewhere that they seem identical to the R1s me and I suspect they are all made in the same factory/ies in China anyway.
My "secret" is proper bedding in when new - 8 or 10 hard brake applications from around 60 mph to around 10 mph (do not stop!) then straight back up to 60 mph rinse and repeat then go for a "cool down lap" before stopping. Get your rotors skimmed/machined, sand/rub the pads free of glaze (or fit new pads), and give it a try.
I have done this with every set of new rotors and/or pads across all three Jags now and I have never once experienced any brake judder whatsoever (often incorrectly called warped discs).

Old 02-09-2021, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member

I’d point you back to the Wortec 2pc. rotors. Looks, lightweight and cooler operation, all in one package.

Quick Reply: Who makes the OEM Brake Pads and Rotors?