F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I bought an F-Type and how I annoyed Tesla Fans

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 12:50 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Why I bought an F-Type and how I annoyed Tesla Fans

OK so I write a series of columns every week and figured it would be fun to do one on why I picked an F-Type over a similarly priced performance Tesla S. They are about the same price and they were the two cars that made it to the final round when I had to replace my Audi S5 coming off lease.
Apparently I pissed off a ton of Tesla wanna-be owners (and a couple actual owners).

Here is my column (feel free to join in and help me defend the F-Type): Tesla S vs. Jaguar F Type: Practicality goes out the window | Digital Trends

The following 4 users liked this post by enderle:
Jayt2 (07-21-2013), rscultho (07-22-2013), Scott Bourne (07-21-2013), v8cat (07-22-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,714 Likes on 7,564 Posts

Very interesting and an excellent analysis.
One question:
How long does it take to recharge the Tesla and comparing that to the 5-10 minutes filling up the Jag.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Nice article rob.

The following users liked this post:
enderle (07-22-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 07:58 PM
Received 4,186 Likes on 3,649 Posts

great article Rob

enderle (07-21-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 09:32 PM
Default Charging

Originally Posted by Jayt2
Very interesting and an excellent analysis.
One question:
How long does it take to recharge the Tesla and comparing that to the 5-10 minutes filling up the Jag.
On a super charger from near empty to full around 2 hours, but most of that is the last 20%. On a regular car charger (the kind the other electric cars use) around 12 hours, on 110 3 days (I've actually never tried to run it long enough to do this). On the 220 charger you can get for your home around 8 hours but quicker if you don't need 100%. In most cases you just charge at home and 30 minutes on a Super charger should generally get you to around 80% only issue is finding a supercharger, there aren't that many yet.

Jayt2 (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Hey Rob,
Read the column and the comments all the way through, quite amusing. Mr. Gordon, obviously, has a bug up his ***. I find it interesting that every time the "green" argument is thrown in, there is no mention of the fact that cars like the Prius are among the dirtiest cars to produce, environmentally, because of their extremely toxic battery packs. As for the political arguments that soldiers are dying to subsidize the cost of oil, I had a long debate about this with an astronomer from UCLA and his car salesman who had bragged about buying a Nissan Leaf, and how he was not receiving any public subsidies.
I've included the link to a couple of the emails that went back and forth between us. Reading the comments between you and Gordon reminded me of my arguments of a couple of years ago. Finally, I think the Tesla S is a terrific car (as I believe you do as well), so is the F-type, it's fascinating how others would begrudge you choosing one over the other. And one more thing, it's quite obvious to me that Tesla took the vast majority of its styling cues for the "S" from Jaguar's XF. Living in Los Angeles, I saw many of the test "mules" driving around almost 2 years ago. Each time I got near one, I was sure that I was looking at a new and upcoming model of the XF, the similarities in body style were so apparent. As they say, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Great article, keep up the good work. (And by the way, as good as the Tesla S is, the original roadster was and is a piece of crap, cheaply assembled, poor quality, Lotus tight {oh yeah, it was a Lotus}, tiny range)
Jewish Journal letter to the editor from January - tberg@dslextreme.com - DSL Extreme Mail

enderle (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 11:30 AM
Received 4,186 Likes on 3,649 Posts

Mr Gordon appears to have an affliction - he is know as someone, who needs a smack upside the head. People who need a smack upside the head affect the lives of many. There is still no known cure for someone who deserves a smack upside the head, except a smack upside the head, but we can ...raise awareness.

enderle (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

And Mr. Gordon votes...horrifying.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

It's really mind boggling how stupid the society is. Somebody should tell Mr. Green electricity is not free. Plants need to burn fuel/coal to produce electricity.

And, he isn't going to save the world by having plug-in cars. On the contrary he will do just as much damage if not more.

I guess it makes a difference to some which pocket they pay out of.

enderle (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Just quickly browsed your article and skipped the comments since the whole premiss of the comparison seems incongruous. Even it were not a Tesla but a conventional vehicle you are still looking at sports car versus sedan. Throw in the fact that the technology of the Tesla will be obsolete in the near future when they start figuring out better power cells or whatever to increase range, I am not even sure I would choose a Tesla over ANY conventional sedan. It does have fantastic styling but I wonder how many of these you would see were it not for the tax credits (read payed for by us) that partially offset the price.

Doug

Old 07-22-2013, 04:06 PM
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm really wondering why you call it buying? Wasn't it a lease?

I would never lease a toy. Toys I buy cash. If you can't afford an F-type, buy a used cheap hatchback or something, then save up until you can really buy it.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by azeteg
I'm really wondering why you call it buying? Wasn't it a lease?

I would never lease a toy. Toys I buy cash. If you can't afford an F-type, buy a used cheap hatchback or something, then save up until you can really buy it.

Can't quite see where you are coming from. I am no fan of leasing but I guess it does make it somewhat more "affordable" than buying. I have seen plenty of folks who are driving around in fancier cars than they can "afford" because they are leasing them--so what?

Doug

Old 07-22-2013, 05:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Just quickly browsed your article and skipped the comments since the whole premiss of the comparison seems incongruous. Even it were not a Tesla but a conventional vehicle you are still looking at sports car versus sedan. Throw in the fact that the technology of the Tesla will be obsolete in the near future when they start figuring out better power cells or whatever to increase range, I am not even sure I would choose a Tesla over ANY conventional sedan. It does have fantastic styling but I wonder how many of these you would see were it not for the tax credits (read payed for by us) that partially offset the price.

Doug
I own a Tesla (and a F Type). The tax credit really had no bearing on my decision. In fact we had a Tesla get together not too long ago and we all discussed why we bought it. I can tell you the tax credit was not a factor.
As far as being paid for by "us", the oil and gas industry gets millions upon millions in subsidies even though those companies make trillions in profit.

The fact is the Tesla is a great car. Most bought it for the styling, handling and yes, to not have to go to a gas station. I have owned over 60 cars and it is one of the best autos I have ever owned. If you drive less than 100 miles a day and have the funds, it is one of the best cars you can buy, imho. When the supercharges are in place, then it will be a great long distance car as well.

As far as the tech, the battery will last longer than I will keep the car. It was designed to be swappable. I would be shocked if they produced a better battery in the not-too-distant future that could not be swapped out.

The rest of the car is leaps and bounds ahead of the tech curve.

I do agree that comparing a Jag two seater -vs- a four door sedan is a bit of a stretch. I would not cross shop these two and do not know many that would.

I'm glad the OP is happy with his purchase. Let's face it, ice or electric, people like validation. There will always be "fanboys" for either, why you would worry about their opinion is beyond me.

enderle (07-23-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Whilst I don't necessarily have an opinion on this particular matter at present, I would just like to remind our members of the following from the forum rules......
  • Other Websites: Under no circumstances must any other website be abused on this site, failure to abide by this rule will result in an infraction and possible ban. By the same token, any member of Jaguarforums.com found to be abusing THIS site on any other forum will be removed with immediate effect.
  • Opinions of members: We are all entitled to our opinions, but please do not use this forum as a base to abuse other members or companies either in person or about their product or services. Anything considered unsuitable, or anything that could place this site and its owners in an inappropriate situation will be moderated or removed.

I know our particular memberbase and that this topic is unlikely to go that far. This sort of abuse does exist on other sites but not here, and we will ensure that is always the case.

Thanks

Old 07-22-2013, 09:27 PM
Default True

Doug

That's a huge problem with electrics right now. We are planning on cycling from Lithium Ion to Lithium Air and the are very different technologies. Note the Tesla Roadster and Tesla S don't take the same batteries either they improved the technology a lot suggesting none of these cars will be around much longer than 10 years because you won't be able to get replacement batteries unless someone does a retro fit. And if the Republicans win they will kill the subsidies like they did with solar. Now to Telsa's credit they are actually taking most of the risk but if they fail like Fisker did the buyers may be SOL. My family, the rich side, went heavily into solar during the Carter years, Carter lost, they aren't the rich side of the family anymore. Still it is an amazing car.

Last edited by enderle; 07-22-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:35 PM
Default Choices

Originally Posted by Quibbs

I'm glad the OP is happy with his purchase. Let's face it, ice or electric, people like validation. There will always be "fanboys" for either, why you would worry about their opinion is beyond me.

Yep you make a good point. For me it was just a fun piece to write because I really can't afford two $100K cars but using the club I can use both. Just drove the Tesla to the city today, my first commute. I don't know how folks do Leafs, finding a charger is a bitch. Thankfully with the Tesla I didn't need one today and I don't need to drive to the city tomorrow or I'd be screwed (not enough range left and I don't have the right 220 plug to charge from my garage yet).

It did come down to the Tesla and the F-Type though, I just didn't expect to be attacked by the Tesla guys. Both cars are impressive.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:39 PM
Default Leasing

Can't quite see where you are coming from. I am no fan of leasing but I guess it does make it somewhat more "affordable" than buying. I have seen plenty of folks who are driving around in fancier cars than they can "afford" because they are leasing them--so what?

Doug

The car I replaced, the S5 Audi (another great car) was leased, my accountant advised it. This is the car I typically drive to meetings, my XKR is my fun car, and the blown FX-35 is for the dogs and groceries (I have a thing for blowers, probably Freudian). This one I paid cash for and man dropping $100K + on a car really gave me pause.

I figure life is short might as well have fun, as long as you don't go broke. It's not like they let you take it with you.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Energy Co "subsidies"

Sorry to inform the brain washed masses, but our energy providers do not receive any govt subsidies. That's an Obama and Lib media lie. As a business, they benefit from the same tax code as other industries.
Now, the corn growers, they do receive subsidies and ill conceived preferential treatment that adversely impacts all of us.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by enderle
I figure life is short might as well have fun, as long as you don't go broke. It's not like they let you take it with you.
Unless you have kids, who inherit your pile of cash when your time comes.

Good to hear you're not leasing the new toy. If I may ask, what would be the financial benefit of leasing the S5? Usually the financial costs and fees are pretty high. If you have money saved (or in your business), why not just buy the car, which would equal a 6-7% risk-free investment alternative?

Old 07-23-2013, 04:33 AM

I guess I've just never been a fan of poor financial decisions. Driving around in a fancier car than you can afford will just make sure that you can never afford one.

Quick Reply: Why I bought an F-Type and how I annoyed Tesla Fans