F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why would you sell your f-type?

Old 02-18-2018, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why would you sell your f-type?

I want to buy a USED f-type but I know the dealer won't tell me the real reason why the seller sold it.

If you were to sell your f-type, what would be your motivation? (Insurance costs? kids? not your daily driver?)

Old 02-18-2018, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 409 Posts

Why do you care?

No matter what anyone here gives you as a reason, it won't be the same as the guy who sold it to the dealer. The dealer probably doesn't even know why the previous owner sold it. It could be any of a million reasons, best not to worry about why he sold it and instead worry about why you're buying it.

The following 5 users liked this post by Stohlen:
Abarak (02-20-2018), andykreb (02-18-2018), Don1954 (02-19-2018), ndabunka (02-18-2018), sts-v (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 10:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would sell mine to buy a newer one!

Old 02-18-2018, 10:11 AM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

what's the problem if you like the car and the car is ok

take it and enjoy

Old 02-18-2018, 10:14 AM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

i can try
i take with amazon

i like the option to take the vids from my cell immediately with the onboard graphics

Old 02-18-2018, 10:15 AM

Have a 3rd party inspect it such as another Jag dealership or independent jag repair
shop

Old 02-18-2018, 10:39 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by alpha56
I want to buy a USED f-type but I know the dealer won't tell me the real reason why the seller sold it.

If you were to sell your f-type, what would be your motivation? (Insurance costs? kids? not your daily driver?)

I wouldn't buy from that dealer or at least that particular car. I think a dealer should know everything about the product they're selling. Sadly, some don't know anything about the cars (see my thread about my experience). That said, you do the due diligence. Get the cars repair and maintenance history and then call those shops who did the work and talk to them and take it to a shop for inspection.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Chester///M
I wouldn't buy from that dealer or at least that particular car. I think a dealer should know everything about the product they're selling.
How the hell do you expect a dealer to know everything about a USED car? It's not like they can force the previous owner to tell them every single little detail when taking a vehicle in on trade. You expect them to turn down a sale because they don't know why the buyer is trading in their old vehicle?

The following 4 users liked this post by Stohlen:
andykreb (02-18-2018), Don1954 (02-19-2018), JgaXkr (02-18-2018), ndabunka (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 10:48 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Why should the dealer know?

??? How can you expect the dealer to know everything? When mine goes off lease, it will get turned in and not to the dealer that "sold" it to me. All that dealer will be able to say is that it came off lease and what is in the Jaguar computer system.
Larry

Old 02-18-2018, 10:56 AM
DFW
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

My lease is coming to an end and I'm returning the car. Other than that, why would you expect the dealer to know the details of a used car? Buy a certified vehicle and enjoy.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:03 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
How the hell do you expect a dealer to know everything about a USED car? It's not like they can force the previous owner to tell them every single little detail when taking a vehicle in on trade. You expect them to turn down a sale because they don't know why the buyer is trading in their old vehicle?
Edit: Ok I should not have said "everything". I should have said I expect dealers to know a lot about the history of the car. I don't think that's too much to ask. I recently traded in a car and was asked to fill out a questionnaire and was asked about a dozen more questions so some dealers do extensive due diligence. That's the kind of dealer I want to do business with when buying used. If you're content spending a ton of money for a used car that no one knows much about, go for it. I think it's foolish.

Last edited by Chester///M; 02-18-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:12 AM

I would not depend on the dealers response as being 100% truthful..it might be but you never know. They may not even be aware of possible problems that wont be discovered without an inspection. You need, as Chester said, to do your own due diligence. Pay $100-150 and have the car looked at by a 3rd party. I took mine into my local jag dealership and they didnt even charge me a penny. Maybe because its still under warranty? You should call a different dealership and gets some info as to the costs if any for a used car purchase inspection. Thats about all you can do.

Last edited by SteveV; 02-18-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:14 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought my 2016 F Type S AWD convertible Certified from a Jag dealer, it was a end of lease turn in.

Previous owner leased another just like it.

With that said...

People always asked me...

Why did you sell your GTR, Viper, Vette, Porsche, Mercedes, GT500, etc...

The truth is, people often want something new or different.

If you buy a used one from a reputable dealer, no reason to worry.

I have owned mine for a week and I think it is the most amazing car I have ever driven, but in a year I might want something else, maybe the SVR?

Old 02-18-2018, 11:19 AM

I've even considered keeping mine for about year then selling to buy a white or red one. I have customers like yell03 who just want the latest and greatest and turn their vehicles in every 2 or 3 years.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:21 AM
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

lol some of the people on here are hilarious

Old 02-18-2018, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

Edit: Ok I should not have said "everything". I should have said I expect dealers to know a lot about the history of the car. I don't think that's too much to ask. I recently traded in a car and was asked to fill out a questionnaire and was asked about a dozen more questions so some dealers do extensive due diligence. That's the kind of dealer I want to do business with when buying used. If you're content spending a ton of money for a used car that no one knows much about, go for it. I think it's foolish.
Who said they didn't do this? Who said the potential buyer didn't have this information? You made a blatant claim to avoid this dealership knowing nothing more than the OP said "I know the dealer won't tell me the real reason why the seller sold it". Come on...

Old 02-18-2018, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

there are hundreds of reasons people sell cars. Run the VIN to make sure it hasn't been in an accident, try to get the service history and look the car over well.....heck, I wouldn't trust anyone's "reasons" anyhow....if it was bad, the seller wouldn't likely tell anybody anyhow.

Dave

Old 02-18-2018, 11:51 AM
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

With this, you have to rely on the person trading in the car to be honest. The process of buying and trading in a car is so tiring, I could care less about some dealerships questionnaire. Its their job to make sure the car is good for their next customer.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

There's an old saying that buying a used car is just buying someone else's problems. I've never really believed that, even when it comes to quite old, quite well used vehicles. For late model cars you can buy CPO from a first line dealer. The cars come with a warranty, and the dealer usually has a big interest in keeping the reputation of the business intact. I've read that dealers make more money on selling used cars than new cars. There is more of a risk when buying from dealers down the line, unless it is a "specialty " dealer that deals with "high line" European cars. You can sometimes get an aftermarket warranty program through them. As you move down the food chain, to the used car lots with the construction trailer used as an office, you are in uncharted waters. No guarantees here, "as is" sometimes not even as good as it looks.

So the smart thing is to buy CPO, especially on a complex car like a Jag.

There are lots of car lots selling ten year old (or older) Jags, Porsches and Benz's in every big town. These are the dangerous places to shop because the car's are old enough to start needing a lot of scheduled maintenance and routine repairs and component replacements. Due diligence on the buyer's part is required. When buying off of Craigslist or other internet sites you really have to be careful.

First line dealers get a lot of lease return and late model trade in vehicles. Most dealers will not keep anything on the lot that can't be sold CPO, anything older will be sold to the auctions.

Sorry to stray off the path but there are a lot of reasons people trade in their cars. Lot's of people want the newest thing, and can afford it. These are the people that keep JLR in business. They are the customers that JLR needs to satisfy. Jaguars are loved by many, purchased new by few. I wish that I was in that demographic!

Old 02-18-2018, 12:44 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Always an element of risk in buying a used higher performance car. Some have been meticulously maintained and others have been flogged at the track or driven hard and turned in at the end of a lease. I always look at how many owners a car has had. Before buying the F Type (bought new) I was looking for a used Aston Martin Vantage V8 and the few that met my requirements (manual trans) all had 3 owners or so in 6 years and often in different states ... not a good sign.
As for why I'd sell my F type, I don't think I will as it meets my needs quite well.

Last edited by El Gato; 02-18-2018 at 12:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
scm (10-31-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why would you sell your f-type?