F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why would you sell your f-type?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 01:55 PM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

I'll probably keep mine another 2 years then try to get into a 570s or huracan.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:02 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

What a strange and bizarre question. How would a dealer know the reason someone is selling the car? It’s not part of any mandated sales information that a seller has to provided to the dealer when making the sale. And if the reason was bad do you think the seller would be honest? “Why are you selling?” “Oh I’m pretty sure the gearbox is on it’s way out....”. Not to mention cars can be punted around from dealer to dealer before finding a new owner.

What leads you to believe the dealer in question won’t give you the real reason for sale? Do you have evidence that they are dishonest? If so find another dealer.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 188 Posts

Ask 3 different sales people at the same dealer and you'll get 3 different stories. At least I don't know is honest. Get carfax, alot of off lease come through auctions.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:24 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Chester///M
I recently traded in a car and was asked to fill out a questionnaire and was asked about a dozen more questions so some dealers do extensive due diligence.
What’s to stop someone answering the questionairre dishonestly?

Old 02-18-2018, 03:55 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I am currently in the market for F-Types and I was surprised to see about maintenance checks done included in the Carfax - not all cars have them, but check Carfax.. And yes, agree with lot of posts here - buying a used car is really rolling a dice - you never know what you are getting!

Old 02-18-2018, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

You know A LOT more about what you are getting when you buy from a private party.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:45 PM
Received 239 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveV
I would not depend on the dealers response as being 100% truthful..
That part.

Why not buy private party, then you can ask the seller yourself? Might save yourself a bit of coin in the process. I get my private party sellers to sign that the car has not been in an accident, flood, or had any repainting. I also buy used cars with at least 6 months of original factory warranty remaining. Then I relax and enjoy the nearly new vehicle and appreciate the fact that someone else bought it new and took the 40% depreciation hit. With all that savings, you can pay for your own repairs, do upgrades, buy extended warranties, or whatever your heart desires.

Besides, weekend toy cars (Porches, Jags, Mclarens, etc.) are awesome ones to buy used. 2-3 years old, 10K miles, 40% off. Gotta love it...

Last edited by Chawumba; 02-18-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Chester///M
Edit: Ok I should not have said "everything". I should have said I expect dealers to know a lot about the history of the car. I don't think that's too much to ask. I recently traded in a car and was asked to fill out a questionnaire and was asked about a dozen more questions so some dealers do extensive due diligence. That's the kind of dealer I want to do business with when buying used. If you're content spending a ton of money for a used car that no one knows much about, go for it. I think it's foolish.
I have never heard of anyone filling out the form you mention unless it's a lease turn-in. In which case, such information is for analysis of turn in value rather than as a foundation provided to the dealerships sales team

As you can see from the prior post, you have an unrealistic expectation. The ONLY way you will get such details on a used car purchase is to buy it DIRECTLY from a one-owner seller. Dealer's rarely have those details and that is VERY understandable so if you MUST have such deals, stop looking at dealer lots with that expectation.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:53 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Asking the wrong question

The question you intended to ask is: “How can I help prevent buying a problem car.”

My F-Type was a low mileage trade at the original selling dealership, and the previous owner bought another F-Type in a different color and more options. This suggests he had a positive experience with the car, the brand and the dealership. First good sign.

Second, I sat with a service advisor to review the warranty claims history to see if the owner was struggling with any recurring problems, or if it was somehow a problem car. Clean check there. I also verified that the first service was done. Service advisor knew the previous owner and knew the car.

Third the car is CPO. Peace of mind there, thorough inspection. The dealer makes a decision whether or not to certify a car based on their own risk appraisal.

I think that is about as good as it gets, if you can’t meet the previous owner personally.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:50 PM
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

When buying a used vehicle from a dealer I don't ask them anything about the vehicle. I have the car independently inspected. I get info based on the VIN and then I make a decision. Unsubstantiated claims are of no value.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

The only car that could get me out of my F-type is a Huracan Performante, or possibly an Avio. Don't need that much tied up in a car though. The 2015R is 80% as fun, has a low depreciation rate at this time, and the Performante is 5-6x the expense. So not chasing the Jones' - very happy as is ....

Old 10-31-2018, 10:16 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,403 Likes on 1,064 Posts

In the UK a lot of dealer stock comes from Jaguar's fleet. My 2010 XKR was a Jaguar manager's car and had 11,250 miles on it after 3 years. It had a short time second owner who upgraded to an XF Sportbrake as his wife became pregnant! My F-Type was also a Jaguar manager's car which had done 1,300 miles in the year he had it, so I got a virtually new car for 66% of the price.

Why would I sell it? Only because I'd gone mad!

Old 10-31-2018, 10:32 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,388 Posts

I'm guessing it's the new 'related thread' feature that keep causing older threads to be resurrected? Speaking of which...

It'll take my death to get my out of the car. Hopefully those two events aren't related...

Happy Halloween!

The following users liked this post:
scm (10-31-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

AMG GT

Old 10-31-2018, 01:53 PM
Received 156 Likes on 85 Posts

I bought used from a dealer. I researched the previous owner and they were older, going from an older Jag. They traded in the R within 6-months (5500 miles) on an AUDI Q7 . They had money, as their house was a mansion.
After seeing the CarFax and a personal inspection, I bought. I would guess the R was just too hard-core for the older gentleman, who may have been expecting another "softer" Jag.
This car is exactly what I wanted, but it isn't a soft sports car, like a Lexus LC500 or many others, including many older Jags.
Many wealthy just drop in and buy what's on the showroom floor, without any research, then find it really isn't what they want after a few months of ownership.
...funny thing is that many of these people do exactly the same thing again (I know a few).

Old 10-31-2018, 06:00 PM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Mine was leased by an old fellow who died. His daughter took it over but really didn’t appreciate it for what it is. She was no spring chicken either. She most likely had a small yap dog who left marks on the passenger seat and door panel, all of which I repaired. A wheel was obviously repaired because the tire showed there was a hit, but not the wheel. I doubt they ever used Dynamic/Sport mode nor did they rev it high enough to get the pops and bangs. Only when I got it was when the pops and bangs started opening up.

It originated in Pasadena, then to Walnut Creek, then to Sacramento, then to Cotati (all in CA). So if you do sell, be sure to clear you navigation history and your “Take Me Home” screen.

I might sell, but only for the exact same thing with the V8. Didn’t think I’d ever be able to get a Jag at all.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:01 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I would sell to move onto something else when the time comes. Not because the car is flawed in any way, but after 1+ year of ownership (but only 5,500 miles) it just isn't exactly what I'm looking for - though it is close and it certainly is a blast to drive.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:35 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,403 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagged Wire
be sure to clear you navigation history and your “Take Me Home” screen.
In the UK, people often program their Take Me Home destination to their local police station. Simplifies reporting it stolen, just tell the fuzz to watch out for it!

Old 11-01-2018, 12:02 AM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
In the UK, people often program their Take Me Home destination to their local police station. Simplifies reporting it stolen, just tell the fuzz to watch out for it!
aaaaah, how clever!

Old 11-03-2018, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Why buy from a dealer? I prefer buying from a private party with all service records. Even with private sellers some will lie about why they're selling, so a PPI is imperative.
Having said that -- when it comes time to sell, would you guys take it to the dealer for trade or sell it yourself?

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (11-05-2018)

Quick Reply: Why would you sell your f-type?