Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrong wheels installed... thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 01:35 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by frostysauce
590 is my taste personally!

What are the wheel specs? Size and offset? I would love a set in gloss black.

Edit: Doubling over them again, I might have changed my mind to the 580. That's a tough choice - for me the color makes a good bit of difference
I ordered them stock size with offsets that push them out an extra 15mm in the front and 17mm in the back. I really like the color. The stock wheels where chrome, and while I didnt hate it, I much prefer the satin silver.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
^^^ What @jaguny said. You deserve to receive what you ordered!

My vote (on looks) goes to the 580s. But I could easily get used to the 590s.

++++++++++

That pic of your F with the top down just KILLED me. COME ON, SPRING! It's currently 30F here and the winds are howling art 35 MPH. BRRR

jaguny probably got snow overnight though. So he has it worse than me...
Yes, thank you! Jaguny is suffering miserably waiting for the new snow to now melt. We need some warm weather with some heavy rain to wash the salt away. Wind has been howling here as well.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:59 PM

it was a brisk 68 degrees out for that photo. Be jealous. I'll revel in that for a few weeks then it'll be too hot to put the top down!

Old 03-23-2019, 11:43 PM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Here's an Architect's point of view. Accessories can't legitimately be seen as beautiful or not beautiful when sitting on display by themselves. Like a necktie for your dress shirt , you'll have the best results if you keep in mind that the ACCESSORY's only real job is to create such a highlight against your shirt (or in this case your car), that persons give you compliments about how eye-catching your shirt looks when you wear it.

So a necktie that looks SO bold that it will make your shirt look too plain or too puny, and make everyone talk about your tie… is not a successful accessory with that shirt.

So by themselves, neither the 80 nor the 90 look good. But the 80 makes a dark-colored F-Type look good, and I think providence has smile on you by causing the company to mistakenly give you the wheels that your F-Type really needed.
I too have a Brit Racing Green car (XE), and every rim I've chosen for the car so far has been silver-sparkle, more spokes than openings, and conservative geometries. Because the XE is not a tiny length, has a solid top (not convertible), there's a lot of paint color to see, so the wheels need a lot more spoke-surface and a lot less openings between spokes, in order to compliment all the body surface you're seeing on the car.

The F-Type is more open-air than my XE. Your car is shorter, convertible, so it's a lot less about car-paint surface, and more about leather, instruments and seat-lines. The 80 has less spoke surface than the 90, so it compliments your convertible way better than the 90 would.

Now my tastes are not for F-Types. I love the LENGTH and the larger body paint surfaces of the XK (particularly the very last series). Even as a convertible, the XK has more body paint surface than the F-Type, so the 90 (with the extra spoke lines and the circular mass around the lugs) is the better accessory to compliment the XK.

Take good care of that green car! Our Brit Greens are getting very rare these days!

The following users liked this post:
baldguy (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 10:08 PM
Received 156 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Since the voting is split between the 580 and 590, the only logical thing to do is run two of each. The next question is to divide front/rear or side to side.
LOL! - actually a friend who has done a number of gorgeous customs always put a different set of wheels on one side of the car than the other.
Something I would NEVER do, but it was kinda cool. The car had two different looks, but each side looked good as you couldn't see the other side!
I think the 580's are more aggressive and would be the wheels I would have ordered.
Looks GREAT!

Old 03-25-2019, 07:00 AM
Received 274 Likes on 188 Posts

My vote would be to stick with the 580s. The five double-spokes around the five studs of the 580s looks spot on.

The flat centre of the 590s look dated to me at the seven double spokes is a bit too much.

However, if they give you a gift of something for their mistake, that would be nice.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:50 AM
Received 81 Likes on 35 Posts

My vote goes for the 580s. I think you lucked out, and, if you get some recompense from the vendor, that is just icing on the cake.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by RIRR
My vote goes for the 580s. I think you lucked out, and, if you get some recompense from the vendor, that is just icing on the cake.
I think I'm starting to agree. The more I look at the car, the more I like the 580s on it. I think in the online pictures, the bevel on the spokes appears high contrast and that may have been what really turned me off about them. On the car, at least with this machined (and cleared) finish, it looks a whole lot better. The bevel is there but rather than looking almost two-tone, it just looks sculpted. It sort of adds to the elegance of the jaguar (as another poster suggested) while still looking exotic and hinting ever so slightly at the 550hp under the hood. I think if Avant Garde offer me some decent discount on these or another set of wheels, I may have to find some that work well on my 21 year old cobra

Last edited by baldguy; 03-25-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:27 AM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

580's.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 564 Likes on 383 Posts

580s and see if the vendor will give you a partial refund/discount. At a minimum, they should credit you any price difference, plus the 2-way shipping cost they'd incur on replacements.

Doing an exchange would be a pain for all.
- They'd have to be willing to send out the replacements before getting the return (unless you still have the old wheels or are will to go without the car for a while).
- The 580's they'd be getting back would be used. That would be an extra hit to them that they could reasonably blame on you.
- Swapping wheels would require remounting tires 1 or 2 extra times at someone's expense, depending on how the transaction were handled.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:49 PM
Received 156 Likes on 85 Posts

Another reason I prefer the 580's... Staggered 20" Avant Garde wheels on my wife's 650i; slightly different, but nearly the same wheel design

Old 03-25-2019, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by uncheel
580s and see if the vendor will give you a partial refund/discount. At a minimum, they should credit you any price difference, plus the 2-way shipping cost they'd incur on replacements.

Doing an exchange would be a pain for all.
- They'd have to be willing to send out the replacements before getting the return (unless you still have the old wheels or are will to go without the car for a while).
- The 580's they'd be getting back would be used. That would be an extra hit to them that they could reasonably blame on you.
- Swapping wheels would require remounting tires 1 or 2 extra times at someone's expense, depending on how the transaction were handled.
When I ordered custom wheels for my XF, it took them three tries to get the fitment correct. My wife thought the UPS guy was going to pass out from the drop off and pick up routine (five times in all for one set of wheels).