Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XPEL Paint Protection Film Thread for protection on key areas

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 09:15 AM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default XPEL Paint Protection Film Thread for protection on key areas

Hi all,

I am having my SVR bumper and full hood wrapped which actually includes front fenders because we have one of the largest hoods on a production car.

I am wondering if I should have him wrap the areas I circled... being the car is AWD I don't know if it kicks things up any less... coming from a C7 Z06 the side skirts were a must to wrap. Can anyone chime in over 5k, 10k, 20K+ miles how the areas I circled are holding up without protection? For what its worth the car is also ceramic coated so that should help a little bit.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:51 AM
Received 165 Likes on 77 Posts

Yep! Protect the side sills (area you circled) as well as the a-pillars of the windshield and mirrors. I also protected the front bumper bar which is the first defense against errant rocks...

Old 05-03-2019, 10:12 AM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

As per my other thread, 20k miles, a lot following other supercars etc on sporting drives, Front bumper has heavy road rash, hood/bonnet has 2 chips but tiny, zero damage or marks on any side skirts or rear wheel arches.

I do have a couple of stone chips in the grey Corioliswheel paint on the spokes, but not much you can do to protect them.

just my experience but personally I don't think the extra you have contemplated is worth it

Old 05-03-2019, 10:19 AM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dave_Sw1
As per my other thread, 20k miles, a lot following other supercars etc on sporting drives, Front bumper has heavy road rash, hood/bonnet has 2 chips but tiny, zero damage or marks on any side skirts or rear wheel arches.

I do have a couple of stone chips in the grey Corioliswheel paint on the spokes, but not much you can do to protect them.

just my experience but personally I don't think the extra you have contemplated is worth it
Thanks, how are your side mirrors and headlights?

Old 05-03-2019, 10:22 AM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

headlights not a mark on them, mirrors also good, I polish the car a lot and notice every mark, what ever the headlights are made from is pretty good as they are perfect

Old 05-03-2019, 11:24 AM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

What I don't quite understand is why, on such an expensive car, you wouldn't PPF the whole thing as opposed to bits and bobs? It's a cost effective way of protecting your car.

Sods law states that the parts you don't have covered will get gravel rash!

No panel is immune on these cars, and unfortunately, contrary to popular belief, ceramic coatings do nothing to protect you from stone chips.

The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (05-04-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by jackals
Hi all,

I am having my SVR bumper and full hood wrapped which actually includes front fenders because we have one of the largest hoods on a production car.

I am wondering if I should have him wrap the areas I circled... being the car is AWD I don't know if it kicks things up any less... coming from a C7 Z06 the side skirts were a must to wrap. Can anyone chime in over 5k, 10k, 20K+ miles how the areas I circled are holding up without protection? For what its worth the car is also ceramic coated so that should help a little bit.

The area behind the rear wheel really doesn’t need it, but in addition to the rocker panel (side sill) you should also consider a small area just above the sill in front of the rear wheel.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:47 PM
Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The area behind the rear wheel really doesn’t need it, but in addition to the rocker panel (side sill) you should also consider a small area just above the sill in front of the rear wheel.
+1 on skipping the area behind the rear and going up a bit higher in front of it

Old 05-04-2019, 05:24 AM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Llama
+1 on skipping the area behind the rear and going up a bit higher in front of it

I wish I could get the light right to show you guys the rash on my expel in those rear wheel areas... You may change your opinion.

I managed a photo that is lower and that I expel'd to see the effects of the stones underneath:

Each one of the white dots is where the PPF is holed.

Although the rear of the wheel is hit to a far lesser extent due to the plastic aero lip (if fitted) deflecting rocks, I can certainly see that it has got at least 8-10 hits.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
I wish I could get the light right to show you guys the rash on my expel in those rear wheel areas... You may change your opinion.

I managed a photo that is lower and that I expel'd to see the effects of the stones underneath:

Each one of the white dots is where the PPF is holed.

Although the rear of the wheel is hit to a far lesser extent due to the plastic aero lip (if fitted) deflecting rocks, I can certainly see that it has got at least 8-10 hits.
That really doesn't look like any gravel rash I've seen on my wrap. That looks more like impurities (dirt) that were left on the surface before wrap was applied leaving little bubbles under the wrap, which I have seen on poorly done wraps.