General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

84' XJ6 S3 Fog Light Install wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84' XJ6 S3 Fog Light Install wiring help

I have an 84' XJ6 S3 that I need wiring advice to install fog lights. The factory provided on the driver's side next to the headlights under the hood two red and yellow striped wires (one thick and one thin gage wire ) that are both attached to a single white butt splice wiring harness adapter at the end.
The factory, I understand, pre wired to the light switch for the fog lights. On the passenger side I also found only one unused thin gage red and yellow striped wire , with the same white butt splice wiring harness adapter on it, ( it too fits the description of the factory prewired fog light wires, but I am not sure I will need it or what it is for or if there should have been two wires like the wires on the other side ).
Here is were I need help: The fog lights I got off the net "used" from XJ6 S3 86' and are now installed on my XJ6 under the bumper and have they two wires coming out for each light.
My question is how to hook them up. Are the driver's side two factory r/y wires I described above both positive and one would go to each lamp. and then I create my own ground for the second wire coming out of the fog light?
Or is one thick gage r/y wire on the drivers side the positive wire and I run it to each of the two lights as a chain and then the other thin gage r/y wire which were found on both sides are the neg and I hook one up to each of one of the wires coming out of the light on each side of the car? Or, should I just ignore the other single factory r/y wire on the passenger side or does it figure into the wiring in some other way ? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,782 Likes on 7,113 Posts

Originally Posted by dayton
My question is how to hook them up. Are the driver's side two factory r/y wires I described above both positive

Yes

and one would go to each lamp.

No, both of those r/y would go the the left fog lamp and the single r/y, on the right side, wire would go to right fog lamp

and then I create my own ground for the second wire coming out of the fog light?

Sine you have "two wire" lamps you'll need the use one wire from each lamp as a ground, yes

Or, should I just ignore the other single factory r/y wire on the passenger side or does it figure into the wiring in some other way ?

Don't ignore it. it IS the "+" wire for the right side fog lamp

Thanks in advance for your help.

Do you know how to remove the little circlip on the headlight switch so it can be rotated to the "fog lamp" position? If not, post back.

Also, be advised that the arrangement you have will not allow using fog lamps and headlights together. When you switch to the fog lamps the headlamps will go out. If that doesn't suit you can use a relay to get around it. I can give instructions.

If you want the fog lamp indicator light on the dashboard to operate it's just a matter of a jumper wire between two fuses. if interested I'll look up which ones....it's been so many years, sigh.

Jose has the part number for a UK-market headlight switch that offers multiple options for exterior light operation. Pretty slick

Cheers
DD

Old 09-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Default XJ6 S3 Fog Light wiring advice

Thanks for the quick reply, really terrific.
So to confirm. the fog lights wire with the two r/y on the driver's side as positive for that lamp and the one r/y on the passenger side as the positive for that lamp. I would make my own ground on both sides. Any standard spot near there that is already used as ground? Should I chain connect the two grounds and only ground in one spot or run two separate ground wires? Any idea why they would provide two positive wires on one side and only one on the other, and one thick and the other two thinner?
Also, I do know how to remove the C clip from the master control shaft, but your suggestion to get a UK version is what I'll try to do. Any suggestions on getting that part and in good shape? Is it really plug and play with both fog and headlight working at the same time without further wiring modification?
Your offer to share how to jump a fuse for the dash indicator to work is cool. How would this wire? Sorry I am such a novice at this. Thanks for your time and knowledge base, it makes a big difference.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,782 Likes on 7,113 Posts

[QUOTE=dayton;575170]Thanks for the quick reply, really terrific.
So to confirm. the fog lights wire with the two r/y on the driver's side as positive for that lamp and the one r/y on the passenger side as the positive for that lamp.[quote]

Right!

I would make my own ground on both sides.

Right!

Any standard spot near there that is already used as ground? Should I chain connect the two grounds and only ground in one spot or run two separate ground wires?

You choose :-). The headlights are grounded on either side of the radiator opening....you'll see where. That would be a good spot and you can clean and tighten the existing grounds while you're there...always a good idea on these cars

Any idea why they would provide two positive wires on one side and only one on the other, and one thick and the other two thinner?

Understanding Jaguar rationale is something I don't devote much time to any more. :-). However, I'll wager that if the entire harness was spread out on your garage floor and opened up you'd find that one the the two left sides wires IS the single right side wire....routed over the meadow and through the woods.

Also, I do know how to remove the C clip from the master control shaft, but your suggestion to get a UK version is what I'll try to do. Any suggestions on getting that part and in good shape? Is it really plug and play with both fog and headlight working at the same time without further wiring modification?

I dunno. Let's wait for Jose to chime in on that.

Your offer to share how to jump a fuse for the dash indicator to work is cool. How would this wire? Sorry I am such a novice at this. Thanks for your time and knowledge base, it makes a big difference.

More later on that

Cheers
DD

Old 09-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Default XJ6 S3 fog lights

Well I ended up buying the EURO version switch for the XJ6 S3 headlight / fog light dash controller fromEbay.CO.UK ( it was from an 86' Dailmer ). It looked quite clean and cost about $26. plus shipping. I would still appreciate Jose's imput on venders for that kind of part and usage and yours on the instrument panel fog light indicator fuse hookup. Thanks again for the help!