General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Air compressor moisture

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 11:35 AM
Received 142 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Air compressor moisture

I have a machinery shed which housed our central vacuum system and my compressor.
There has always been water in the system.
I have a water separator with particle filter that doesn't seem t do anything.
Every time I open the drain there is water in it.
Not only that but water is making it's way through the hose reel into the tools.
I have been doing a bit of research.
I read that I need a minimum of 20 feet separating the compressor from the outlet.
That is of course impossible but someone suggested using an air conditioner condenser.
Has anyone tried that and how did you go about assembling it in the system.
Did you use a cooling fan and how did you wire it up?
I'm thinking of mounting it relatively flat, is that a problem?
This is an experiment so I can't afford to just waltz in to the dealer and order it.
Any easy suggestions on the easiest way to find one?

Old 04-10-2021, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 676 Posts

I found that those water separators separate very little. I do a lot a media blasting in restoring old cars (but I leave the body painting to pros with a proper booth). When I first started doing glass bead, I couldn't go very long before the media would just start clogging up from the moisture. Then somebody I was talking with at a local car show suggested I get something called a "TP filter". I asked what's a TP filter and they described a filter element that looked exactly like a roll of toilet paper. After a little research, I found the Motor Guard M-60 (no its not an engine oil filter though it sounds like it). My troubles were over. I just take the element out and dry it in the oven on "warm" setting once in a while, but it seems to be able to absorb A LOT before any moisture gets through. I found that I can go all day for a couple of days but I purchased a spare element so I can switch out and keep blasting with one while the other is drying out.