General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Can't open the Boot!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Hi, For any sort of a technical reply, please post in the appropriate model section, after you have introduced yourself over in the New Member area and read the Forum Guidlines.

These will help you to make your post and receive help much quicker.

Welcome to the Forums,

Old 05-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Locked out

Originally Posted by andrew kolvin
After pressing the valet button by mistake, I am unable to get into the boot. The key will not turn in the lock to release the system. Anyone have any suggestions apart from cutting a hole in the body work??!!
Apart from cutting a (small) hole in the bodywork, I don't know of any other solution. The hole need only be about one eight inch diameter, or less even, just enough to get a thin screwdriver in to trip tyhe catch on the lock. It's going to be behind the licence plate anyway, so just plug it with a rubber grommet to protect it and it's there for any future mishaps. The hole should be in line with the push button on the boot, up about half way on the licence plate panel and then to the left, (as you're looking at it) about one inch. You flick the lever once and you're a master! Go for it, unless there are any alternatives.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Can't open boot

I had this problem once. It was caused by turning the ignition key off before the car had come to a complete standstill. My heater hose had just blown, so I wanted to shut the engine off as quickly as possible, so I turned the ignition key and coasted to a halt without the engine running.
I couldn't get the boot open at all. Tried using the key fob unlock, the key unlock, nothing would work.
I then had to start the car up to put it on the back of the transporter, and lo and behold, the boot would then open.

I explained this to the Jag dealer fixing my heater hose, he told me that it is by design. The boot locks while the car is in motion. It hadn't registered that it had stopped before I turned the ignition off. Therefore it wouldn't open.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,619 Likes on 874 Posts
Default Try using the use the interior front door locking button

Hi
I have 2001 XJ8 and this procedure always works for me. I use the interior front door locking button to lock all the doors, the trunk and the fuel filler flap. Also works to open everthing when I pull up on the locking button.

You just push the button down on either the driver front door and the other front door to lock everything. Then if you pull it back up, it unlock everything. Try it. It may also work on your Jaguar.
I hope it does.
Jim Lombardi