General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Another XJS lower control arm question

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another XJS lower control arm question

I read a bunch of threads here on the hardships a lot of folks have had removing the lower control arm rod, fulcrum, bolt. I read where some people stripped the but hex head off the shaft by trying to turn it. I think I read somewhere that this big hex nut is just pinned on. I am in the process of rebuilding my XJS IFS top to bottom and have just gotten to the point where I am ready to try and remove the lower control arms. I have not hit anything with a hammer yet but I am just wondering, if I MIG weld the big hex nut to the shaft and then hit it with an impact gun if that might spin and loosen these bolts. I guess the worst that could happen is it doesn't and I have to buy new ones which I might have to anyway.

Thanks

Old 12-16-2017, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I don't see any harm in trying that method, if it comes down to it.

You might get lucky, tho, and unusual steps won't be needed.

I've done this task several times. Sometimes the shaft comes right out with a few modest taps. Other times, not so much. I hauled out the trusty SawzAll once

Cheers
DD

Old 12-16-2017, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
I don't see any harm in trying that method, if it comes down to it.

You might get lucky, tho, and unusual steps won't be needed.

I've done this task several times. Sometimes the shaft comes right out with a few modest taps. Other times, not so much. I hauled out the trusty SawzAll once

Cheers
DD
Thanks Doug. I am sort of doing this real time. lol One was pretty free. I managed to drive it out (got it strarted with a block of wood). Then used a long punch to drive it out another 3 inches or so. The punch is getting interfered with by the front suspension arm. Can't drive straight in. I can deal with that though. The other side not so much. lol Gave it several good whacks with a block of wood between the shaft and the hammer. I guess it is time to try and whack the nut a little. If that don't work I may just try the weld and impact and see what happens.

Old 12-16-2017, 02:47 PM

Ok just a follow up. The passenger side lower rod is/was frozen solid. I can hardy even move the control arm. Nothing moved. I figured I would have to get serious about this so I went ahead and welded the big hex nut end to the center rod shaft. I put two different impact wrenches on it and neither would budge it. Ok, so a Bigger hammer is required. I put an inch and a half socket on it in 3/4 drive and a four foot piece of pipe. I felt it move a little so I stopped and took a look. Not sure what the center rod is made of but it just shattered so what I thought might work did not. lol Since the front suspension arm prevents me from slamming it with a big hammer I cut the arm off. Was going to anyway because I am going to a weld in mount anyway. A 3 pound hammer still wouldn't budge it so I went to the 8 pound. I had the castle nut on the rod and it just split. I went ahead and gave the shaft a couple very hard raps and it moved. I had to cut the mushroom off the end and then started with a drift. It is moving but slowly. lol Soaking in Kroil now. lol

Ok, 30 minutes later and a bloody knuckle I got it out. One end (the front side) was pretty rusty. The other end was good. Figures I had to drive the bad end all the way through. On to the uppers now.

Last edited by purplewg; 12-16-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Good work.

Nasty job.

Uppers are a cake walk.

Love the smell of Kroil

Cheers
DD

Old 12-16-2017, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
Good work.

Nasty job.

Uppers are a cake walk.

Love the smell of Kroil

Cheers
DD
Yeah, the uppers were nothing. Now I need to start shopping for all the parts to rebuild it. lol