XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Front Lower Control Arm Bushing Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Front Lower Control Arm Bushing Question

Hey all,

After replacing my bent front strut I decided to also do the upper control arms. The boots were shot but bushing in like new condition...Go figure. So everything else looks and feels in relatively good condition including the strut bushings. What I did notice however is that the lower front arms bushing

X 350 Archives - JAGUAR SPARES NORTH EAST

Did look ok however I seemed to be able to twist it quite a bit. Should this bushing be very solid? I was looking at the powerflex replacement and its basically a solid urethane which wouldn't allow that movement.

Powerflex - Performance Polyurethane Bushes

The reason why I ask is before ripping apart my front end I was wondering why My strut would have bent at the base the way it did and the only conclusion I could think of was the twisting of this arm or a failure of the strut itself (arnott replacement 2 year sold).

Has anyone used this powerflex bushing or had a similar issue? Does that bushing really allow that much play?

Thanks all!

Old 12-02-2015, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

Anyone? I have searched and really didn't get any good answers that way. HAs anyone used the poly bushing kits on these cars?

Old 12-02-2015, 04:46 PM
Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds similar to something I've been through...

I had all my front arm bushings replaced a while back, but this spring when I went to the dealer they said there was something wrong with the bushing on the left wishbone. Indeed, when braking, there would be a light thud (I don't know why I ignored it, I just thought it was normal). I replaced the bushings in pairs, but it seemed the left one was waay softer than the right. No damage to it was found, just that it allowed much play, as opposed to the one on the right. I changed both wishbones, problem solved.

Hope this helps!

P.S.: when is your T/S install scheduled? I've got mine in, but I have a host of problems unfortunately hope to get it working soon

The following users liked this post:
XxSlowpokexX (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,172 Likes on 2,340 Posts

There should be no twisting, certainly not by hand. Maybe a very slight bit with a 3 foot bar but really, replace them.

I've read others complain the the ride stiffens too much with poly bushes. I have no personal experience with the poly bushes beyond the 80's models. Our X350's bear much more weight so the ride will have less give with poly. If you have and want to maintain a soft ride, go OEM, they'll last ya a decade.

That's my take anyway

XxSlowpokexX (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member

Twin screw wont go in until spring. Need some warm weather. I'm excited about it. Wanting to embarrass a car or two at my local exotic car club meets:O) As far as a supple soft ride...Maybe in the super v8 but my xjr rides like a go kart!. I couldn't twist the arm by hand but could by using the entire knuckle assembly as it was still all attached. So far its together and seems well except for a suspension fault code now. I didn't disconnect battery... Anyways back to ride quality..Going to the taller 255 up front and 285 on the back with my sepangs made the ride much nicer...Again....That twin screw sure looks lovely sitting on my table..Yes I haven't put it away hahaha

Old 12-03-2015, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

Other than a severe pot hole/accident bending the arm the only thing I can think of is a dodgy mechanic.

If the car was lifted using a jack under the arm it more than possible to bend it

Re poly bushings, Cambo has these in his XJR. It is certainly stiffer but you have to put up with the squeaking noises. The only way around that is constant lube
So if you are going to go for mostly track go ahead with poly. For a mix stick with the OEM replacements.
Cambo did a writeup on it

I went with OEM replacements all round. The only things not replaced was the upper arms and subframe bushings.
I chose to replace the upper arm rubbers and not the whole arm as the ball joint was OK
I'd only do the whole upper arm if you need the ball joint.
For the struts I went with bilstein sport units over arnot's (losing cats is not an option for me)
Im waiting for my new shed to be built before doing the subframe. It will be much easier in the new shed with multiple lifts

Cheers
34by151

XxSlowpokexX (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member

My car already had arnotts in there...I would have preferred factory. If I ever come across some at some point I may swap out. Perhaps the car was jacked at the control arm at some point. I was thinking bushing but that is a possibility. I can see how that may cause it to twist as well. As far as my upper arms. Ball joints were shot and bushings looked new!!! Maybe ill just leave it alone for now. I seriously don't want to deal with squeeks....I could make new ones out of delrin just to give it a shot