General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

bw65

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 05:06 AM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default bw65

can anyone tell me what quantity of fluid is required to refill a drained bw65.
I have modified my dip tube and need to recalibrate the dip stick
reagards barry

Old 09-05-2013, 06:35 AM
Received 10,311 Likes on 6,821 Posts

OK.

If its drained as in pan off and filter off, then about 4 to 4.5ltrs should do it.

If it is further dissmantled, as in valve body off, and thus more fluid drained off, then about 6 ltrs, last time I did one.

If it is stripped and torque convertor split and rebuilt, then I would say 10ltrs approx.

My S, waaaaaay back when I fitted a BW66 (same box) and it was fully stripped, as was the convertor, took just over 10ltrs, but since it replaced a BW DG the full mark was also more a good guess than science. It went forward in "D", and backwards in "R", so pretty close me thinks. Still does the same today.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 09-05-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:42 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

This does raise the question why you modified the dip tube?

I'm sure Grant is right.

Amazingly, given that fluid level is so important on an automatic transmission, even the BW65/66 shop manual doesn't quote a figure for capacity.

I can only find the difference between Low and High marks on the dipstick is 1.2 US Pints (568 ml).

Graham

Old 09-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Amazingly, given that fluid level is so important on an automatic transmission, even the BW65/66 shop manual doesn't quote a figure for capacity.
I presume this is just a transmission manual and not a car-brand specific service manual?

I think the BW66 variant was Jaguar only but the BW65 was used by several car companies-- Rover, BMW, Volvo, and some others that I've forgotten.

It's plausible, even likely, that when used in different applications the total fluid capacity might vary. Different sized oil coolers and/or different sized sumps, for example, might account for this.

Speculation on my part but, if I'm correct, a transmission manual might intentionally avoid mentioning total system fluid capacity ....preferring instead to leave that information to the car-specific manuals.

<shrug>

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
GGG (09-06-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 12:17 PM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Doug,

It's the transmission manual, not the Jaguar publication.

Would the only variable across applications be the use of different torque converters with varying volume requirements?

Graham

Old 09-06-2013, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

Torque converters, different sumps/pans, and different coolers are the three things taht come to mind that would account for different fluid capacities

Cheers
DD

Old 09-07-2013, 06:24 AM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

thanks for your replies. I will try to answer some of the queries raised, some of you have obviously mis understood some of the things that I have said.
The transmossion is fitted in a mk2 as a cheaper and possibly more reliable and a smoother ride than a DG type as originally fitted in my mk2. I had to modify the 'run' of the tube as it fouls th RH side of the outer transmission tunnel. It was also cut and jioned together with a rubber tube to enable the depth and hence the dipstick reading to be modified to read correct.
I did say the volume after being drained, this would not reflect the total volume as the torque coverter does not empty and in addition not all of the contents.
And yes I can only find reference to 'Fluid capacity' of14.5 pints. unlike the other types where comments like 'Including converter' are used.
Some one out there must have some idea it takes to refill a drain transmission.
regards barry

Old 09-07-2013, 06:59 AM
Received 10,311 Likes on 6,821 Posts

Originally Posted by barrymk2
thanks for your replies. I will try to answer some of the queries raised, some of you have obviously mis understood some of the things that I have said.
The transmossion is fitted in a mk2 as a cheaper and possibly more reliable and a smoother ride than a DG type as originally fitted in my mk2. I had to modify the 'run' of the tube as it fouls th RH side of the outer transmission tunnel. It was also cut and jioned together with a rubber tube to enable the depth and hence the dipstick reading to be modified to read correct.
I did say the volume after being drained, this would not reflect the total volume as the torque coverter does not empty and in addition not all of the contents.
And yes I can only find reference to 'Fluid capacity' of14.5 pints. unlike the other types where comments like 'Including converter' are used.
regards barry
I think I covered it, maybe I was mis-understood.

NOW I Know you are doing the same as I did, albeit a MK2, you will need 4 to 4.5 LITRES to fill that "service drained" unit.

I established my "base" fill by trial and error, and using the BW repairers "dry fill" guide in his book, and yes, having had it 100% stripped gave me a dry unit including the TC.

I used the DG dipstick outer tube, and adapted it to the "66", and still had it up the front of the RH wing, as it was from the factory. I also used the old DG inner bit, it just worked fine on the S, so maybe the MK2 is different, dunno, never had one.

The first time I drained it after running a few hundred kms, I got about 5 ltrs out of it, after an overnight drain, and the pan did not come off, just drained via the installed drain plug in the pan. I refilled with 5ltrs, and marked the dipstick accordingly, and that was in 1997, and it is still just fine today, just with another fanatic, but still a daily driver, she loves it.

These units DO NOT suffer from "over fill killer" that the later units can. The fluid would need to be a looooong way over full before contact with any rotating components occurs. A little over on these is always better than a little low.

Side note: My TH400's in the 2 V12's have always been 1ltr OVER, and have been that way for a very long time, no issues.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 09-07-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by barrymk2

Why do you say that?

"Drained" is a bit vague. When a transmission is fully disassembled for overhaul the fluid is most certainly drained. Or, when the pan is simply removed it can be said that the fluid has been drained. Amount to refill would obviously be different in those two scenarios.

Now we know that you only dropped the pan.

In any case the first reply, from Grant, covered all the bases.

regards barry

Someone does. See the first reply, from Grant. Not sure what more you could ask for.

Cheers
DD