General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Chevy 350 conversion help needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 12:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy 350 conversion help needed

G'day guys,
I have recently purchased a 1970 XJ6 with a Chevy 350 conversion.
I have noticed that when the accelerator pedal is flat to the floor the 650 Holley secondaries only open about 3/4 of the way. The cable looks fine & does not seem stretched.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Do I need to adjust the pedal or is it an adjustment on the carb?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
Deano

Old 12-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Obviously , the throttle cable is not properly adjusted. Generally, and I mean "generally" because even though this is a common engine swap it is not so common as there to be much specific information out there, throttle cable adjustments are made at the carburetor, not at the foot pedal.
What I would do is remove the air cleaner first so as to better view everything. Then have someone in the car pressing the pedal to the floor while you examine the cable connection to the carburetor. You should be able to puzzle out how it is connected and how to fix/adjust the connection so that the carb is fully open when the pedal is fully depressed.
That is the easy part. Now, test the car's idle. Don't be surprised if the idle is well over 1000 rpm, which is not right. The former owner may have maladjusted the throttle cable in hope of reducing idle speed. If idle is o.k. you have not further problems. If not, then you are going to have to get deeper into the project, like finding vacuum leaks, adjusting carburetor jets, etc. Have fun....

Old 12-14-2013, 12:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Chevy 350 TBI Conversion to Carb?

I have a 94 Chevy 350 w/ TBI and want to convert to carb. My computer keeps burning out, leaving me stranded and I have had it. Does anyone know how to easily swap to a carb system? Again, the only purpose for this is to bypass the electrical issue, not for power gain. Thank you.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:34 AM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Kristel263. Assume that your car is a Chevrolet, not a Jaguar; or alternatively a Jaguar with a 350 Chev. with throttle body fuel injection (TBI).

You want to convert to a carb. This is a fairly simple conversion and was done a lot back in the 80s. Suggest you search GM forums for specifics.

Personally, I like motor swaps particularly the small block Chevrolet into Jaguars. Even better is the LS series. I add a caveat though that the job must be done completely. All too often owners start driving the car before the job is fully done, hoping to work out issues en route. Most of the swaps I have seen are basically unfinished and rough work. No doubt that almost every swap requires some running-in and adjustments even after everything seems "done".