General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Driver's seat, side mirrors, passenger window, and constant chirping

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 10:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Driver's seat, side mirrors, passenger window, and constant chirping

I have a 98 XK8. Recently it started having some electrical problems. The first thing I noticed was it would constantly make a fast chirping noise out of the speaker that the turn signal tone and other warning tones come out of. If the turn signal is being used or the door is ajar, with the engine off but key in the ignition, it would give the appropriate chime, but once the turn signal was turned off, the constant chirping would continue. The chirping continues regardless of if the car is on or whether the key is in the ignition. So, its actually draining the battery while the car is off.

Additionally, the driver's seat adjustments stopped working, the side mirror control is inop, and the passenger window cannot be controlled from the driver's side switch.

I decided to first try to make the annoying chirping go away. So, I pulled fuses one by one until it stopped. When I pulled the driver door control module/transit relay fuse (fuse #15 on driver's side), the chirping stopped. I waited a few seconds and put it back in. To my surprise, when I reinserted it, the chirping didn't start back up. Additionally, everything else started operating normally. So, I thought all was well! Unfortunately not. After about 2 minutes, the chirping started again and the seat, mirrors, window also stopped working.

So, my best guess is since resetting this fuse seems to fix things temporarily, the driver door control module needs to be replaced. Would y'all agree?

If so, where is it located?

Thanks so much!!!

Old 12-11-2017, 11:08 PM
Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

Sure sounds like it needs replacing. Probably burnt out a chip that does the input/output. I would guess it would be in the door. I think I read where the 2010's on up are in the doors.