General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

IDS/SDD use and car battery condition

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default IDS/SDD use and car battery condition

Eagerly awaiting the Mongoose from the US and getting hold of the software from the UK, and reading both manuals . A couple of questions regarding it's use and car battery condition:

1 if I use the diagnostic tool to read data from the car (as opposed to programming/flashing modules) is it safe to do so without any battery charging device connected to the vehicle's battery?

2 what's the worst that can happen if the car battery goes dead while using IDS (in diagnostic read mode)?

3 I read that it's recommended to use something like the Midtronics PSC550 during module flashing. Are there any cheaper alternatives to this solution eg using a battery conditioner rather than a full battery charger? any recommended device for this purpose?

Many thanks!

Andrew

Old 11-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts

I never hook up a battery charger to my car's battery when it is still connected to the car.This is the instruction given in the Owners Manual.The reason is obvious--any defect in the AC power supply and or the charger may cause damage,and particularly if the ignition switch is on.

If you have any doubts about your battery charge it and perform a load test.Starting off with this condition should allow you to complete most things you want to do.

Answering your questions:
1.Yes it is safe--the only way to do it.

2.Nothing--just get out of the IDS and fix your battery.

3.No

The following users liked this post:
ejjbee (11-23-2012)
Old 11-23-2012, 05:38 PM

Thanks Six. Things are clearer now!

Old 11-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

A battery charger is recommended during 'FLASH PROGRAMMING' to ensure battery voltage does not drop below a certain minimum.

Tech line instructed us to use a battery charger for programming after several modules were damaged by low voltage during programming.

A normal battery charger set to a low charge will keep the voltage in a safe zone.

Alternately you could put another battery in parallel with jumper cables to be sure about the voltage drop.

Read ADMIN TSB 1-186 regarding configuring and VID block problems.

bob gauff

ejjbee (11-25-2012)
Old 11-23-2012, 09:04 PM
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts

Mazda used the (Ford)IDS system(in fact our update discs had ford/volvo and jaguar files on them).In the 10 years I was at the Mazda dealership we never hooked a battery charger up to the battery while the IDS system was connected,whether we were in diagnostic mode or re flashing mode(and we did lots of flashing RX8s for example).

We saw a few cars with defective PCMs due to "battery chargingaccidents".

One other feature of IDS in diagnostic mode is that the software does not provide a logical path out of a diagnostic test procedure once started unless you complete the procedure.The only option is to close the IDS.

ejjbee (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 02:06 PM

Thanks guys. Bob, the TSB makes very interesting reading, especially with regards to how vehicle data is stored on the car's control units.

I can understand that it can be quite disastrous for a car battery fail while writing into the control units; computer systems do not like having them powered off while re-writing code in them; so I suppose that if I do hook some power unit to the car battery, better invest in something proper, like the Midtronics unit. Having said that, I suppose that flashing units is not something I'll be doing. I've also noticed that in the SDD training manual, there is an icon showing the state of the battery, which should also help. I agree that a battery fail while reading from the car's units, would not be particularly hazardous.